SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tire chewed up wires, rewired it and car doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-10, 07:26 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tire chewed up wires, rewired it and car doesn't start

well unfortunately my tires chewed through my wires.. and yes i relocated to the highest point of the fender and it chewed up 6ish wires..

day the car was still running so i took it back home and took a look at it then we separated the wires and tried to start the car, no good so after a long time of trying to figure out what was wrong we checked the fuses and majority of the fuses were blown we replaced all of it and still no good. I tried to turn on my light and it was very weak so i thought of replacing the battery..

day 2 : i got my friend's battery and still no good car wouldn't crank or anything, so we got this volt light up thing and checked the fuses all good and one particularly fuse looked odd it was the 120a fuse i guess previously it was blown and the owner didn't know how to take it out so he just clamped the two metal pieces and made them touch. So i just reclamp i metal pieces and i tried to start the car and it worked!

**day 3 : so i went to go buy a new battery from autozone and i swapped it in and replaced the terminals and i was hoping it would work.. Everything lit up and was powered.. tried to turn on the car no good still.. the car would do one click and that's it.. i tried jumping it and still doesn't work..

any ideas? when the car started i had hope and now i am losing hope once again..
Old 08-21-10, 09:00 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

This is how it sounds when i try to start it

click
Old 08-21-10, 09:19 PM
lexus95
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the starter might've gone bad. that sounds real similar to my sc400 when the starter went bad in it
Old 08-21-10, 11:53 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

hopefully its just the starter.. just gotta replace the contacts right? not the whole piece..

it was weird cause it started last week and then when i went to try it again today it didn't work... but i'll take the starter apart tomorrow hopefully..
Old 08-22-10, 12:03 AM
lexus95
Driver

im not sure, i think the whole starter was replaced in mine. i got my mechanic to replace mine because of where its at on the v8. it was 1000 for me but its suppose to be alot easier on the 2jz. and when mine went out i was out at dinner and i got in the car to leave and it started but i had to turn it off for some reason and when i tried to crank it back it just clicked like yours
Old 08-22-10, 12:13 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexus95
im not sure, i think the whole starter was replaced in mine. i got my mechanic to replace mine because of where its at on the v8. it was 1000 for me but its suppose to be alot easier on the 2jz. and when mine went out i was out at dinner and i got in the car to leave and it started but i had to turn it off for some reason and when i tried to crank it back it just clicked like yours
interesting so it just happened out of the blue? we'll lets just hope that i have to replace the contacts.. yeah i looked at the DIY for the 2jzge starter and it looks really simple..
Old 08-22-10, 01:03 AM
adl16v
Pole Position

ouch that sux man might have move the harness up to the engine bay since its sounds like ur pretty low
Old 08-22-10, 02:09 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by adl16v
ouch that sux man might have move the harness up to the engine bay since its sounds like ur pretty low
probably..

but after searching and reading 3+ pages about starters.. i know its the starter's contact.. gotta drop by toyota and pick it up and replaces the contacts.

thanks lexus95
Old 08-22-10, 07:33 AM
lexus95
Driver

Originally Posted by sc300jz
interesting so it just happened out of the blue? we'll lets just hope that i have to replace the contacts.. yeah i looked at the DIY for the 2jzge starter and it looks really simple..
Originally Posted by sc300jz

thanks lexus95
yeah it just happened out of the blue and your welcome
Old 08-22-10, 08:25 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

check Every relay, every fuse, even if the leads arnt broken, use a volt meter on them to see if they are still good.

if everything checks out, Disconnect the bat, let the car sit for a couple hours, reconnect and try again, this will reset the ECU as well as the fuel pump ECU. Your car might be in limp mode or even in an Anti theft mode.

If still nothing, check the starter. the Leads are notorious for being little bastards...

It sounds to me like the fuel pump is on, and the relay for your starter is clicking over.... just sounds like the starter isnt engaging. Good luck man

Document everything here so we can help you better!
Old 08-22-10, 04:10 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

well after trying to remove the starter and failing couldn't get the top bolt i remember reading to try to clean the power cable to the starter and i did it and it now cranks but it wont turn over.. checked the fuses seem to be good.

checked the fuses in the engine bay they were all good, inside they were all good also so i am not exactly sure now..

not sure how to test the relays i dont have a volt meter

***car works on i cleaned the starter cable it was all crusted!

Last edited by abounly; 08-22-10 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-22-10, 09:05 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

replace that melted fuse ASAP!!! the fuse has to be the weakest link in the circuit, if you do that or replace it with a higher amp fuse you leave the wiring and the rest of the circuit as the week link and your fry your harness. if it is the ignition fuse like i think it is you will have the starter click problem like your said. i had the same IGN fuse blow on me and i almost replaced my starter aswell when i didnt have to.
Old 08-23-10, 03:26 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ALso, check your EFI fuse
Old 08-23-10, 03:41 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like someone needs to take a couple of hours and reroute the harness through the engine bay and never worry about that problem
Old 08-23-10, 03:47 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by topdog849
replace that melted fuse ASAP!!! the fuse has to be the weakest link in the circuit, if you do that or replace it with a higher amp fuse you leave the wiring and the rest of the circuit as the week link and your fry your harness. if it is the ignition fuse like i think it is you will have the starter click problem like your said. i had the same IGN fuse blow on me and i almost replaced my starter aswell when i didnt have to.
i' tried to take it out but i couldn't get that stupid bolt off and i can't find that size fuse at autozones..

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
ALso, check your EFI fuse
Car is running now!

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
sounds like someone needs to take a couple of hours and reroute the harness through the engine bay and never worry about that problem
Yeah i'm planning to do that now. and slam the car some more haha!