SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Never trust someone else's tarp

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-10, 06:59 PM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never trust someone else's tarp

So I haven't updated in a while because, well my parents sold their second house that I had been using for the garage. I was forced to move the lexus, so I packed it full of all my parts and had it stored at my girlfriends house. The timing was horrible. I had just stripped the entire interior in plans to dynomat it. I also Removed the headliner and sunroof assembly so I could take it apart and redo the headliner color. I didn't know that within the week I would suddenly have to move out.

Anyway, I had it stored over at the GF's house. We got it in late the night I had to move out. (there was a mix up with trailers and where I was to meet my friend and a bunch of junk) I figured I'd go over in the morning, since it wasn't supposed to rain, to tarp the car for storage. The next day before I went over, my GF told me that her dad had put a tarp over my car. I trusted him since he is the outdoorsy, camper, boyscout leader type of guy.

It was only going to be stored there for about a week until I could move into the other garage I found to use. But, as luck would have it, my daily driver blew a head gasket. So I had to use the small garage to fix that. Then after I got my car done, my GF's dad needed to use one of his trailers for something and borrowed the small garage to keep the stuff he had stored in the trailer while he used it.

I figured it would be alright since I wasn't going to have time to work on the car. Anyway, Turns out that the tarp was bad and, looking at it now, I could see right through it between the treads... not one bit water proof. The car was packed with all my new interior parts that I found sitting in a good 3 inches of standing water. Who knows how long it's been like this since It's been sitting there for a couple months. Here's some pictures. I only took 3 since I spent most of the day trying to salvage the parts.

Old 08-22-10, 07:03 PM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Here's how I got that door trim.

Most of the other pieces were just as bad...
Old 08-22-10, 08:34 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ugh, horrible story. hopefully most is able to be saved....
i know it feels like your starting all over, but fix/replace your parts 1 by 1.... it'll be worth it in the end. good luck!
Old 08-22-10, 08:46 PM
BlackSteel
Rookie

OMG, that's sucks so much, I hope that ur gf's dad can give you some sort of help, considering it's his fault. But gl dude i hope you work it out
Old 08-22-10, 09:05 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH MY! That hurts to look at Sorry man GL.

I bet that will be the the last time you trust anyone with your car...
Old 08-22-10, 09:22 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BlackSteel
... I hope that ur gf's dad can give you some sort of help, considering it's his fault. ...
Hmmm....call me old fashioned, but I'd say that is definitely debatable at the least when you consider:

Originally Posted by Shadowen
Anyway, I had it stored over at the GF's house....

Who knows how long it's been like this since It's been sitting there for a couple months.
Regardless, the situation definitely sucks and I'm truly sorry for your bad fortune.
Old 08-23-10, 07:26 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by good2go
Hmmm....call me old fashioned, but I'd say that is definitely debatable at the least when you consider:

Regardless, the situation definitely sucks and I'm truly sorry for your bad fortune.
Your right, It's not entirely his fault. I should have checked up on it more as well as checked the tarp and such.

But I am slightly annoyed at him keeping his stuff in the garage I planned to use to store my car. Especially since I "pay" for the garage by mowing the lawn of the house it belongs too. And that lawn is the worst lawn I've ever tried to mow. It sits on a hill and there are 1ft deep holes/groves all over the yard. Lots of over hanging trees and bushes too..
Old 08-23-10, 08:22 AM
fuel4blood
Driver

Jeez. sorry man that sucks
Old 08-23-10, 09:01 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow man... just wow.. I feel your pain, What are your plans now?
Old 08-23-10, 09:39 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TLDriver
wow man... just wow.. I feel your pain, What are your plans now?
I picked up an actual car cover from Walmart. I'll use this car cover in addition to a good tarp underneath it. I got all the parts out of the car and drained the standing water. I gave the parts a once over with simple green. I wasn't sure about using bleach on them. I will have to wash them again I think, but hopefully the can be salvaged. I think the rear speaker cover is dead. I have my grey one, so I think I may just use that one and redo it.

I think I may scrub the interior out and then I want to dynomat and run the wires correctly for speakers.
I plan to get the car painted and I'm thinking it may be a good time to paint it now that It's totally gutted. is it better to leave the interior out when I take it to get painted? also will it be easier for someone to tint the windows if the interior is out?
Old 08-23-10, 09:51 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Just be careful with a plastic tarp if it's still wet inside....it'll steam!
Old 08-23-10, 10:03 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well it's easier if you are going to be painting the door trims and so on.. because if there is over spray it wont get on anything, the tint well it doesn't make much difference with or without the interior.
Old 08-29-10, 08:06 PM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Small update. I was able to clean most of the parts up. I think everything is in good order aside from the rear speaker cover piece. That may have to be discarded. I've got it all in the garage to work in it coming this winter. I've been busy with work and class.
Old 08-29-10, 10:51 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Glad to hear everythings ok.
Old 08-29-10, 11:08 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I'm also glad to hear everything is alright. That really sucks seeing that much water inside of your car...

Quick Reply: Never trust someone else's tarp