SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300 mod tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 10:12 AM
Jetjockey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 mod tips

I recently inherited a 92 SC300 a/t from the wife. 110,000 miles on it, runs great but looking to get a little more power out of it. There are so many options out there, its hard for a guy to know where to start. Was wondering if i could get some ideas on where to get my feet wet.
Old 08-27-10, 10:32 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That all depends on your budget and goals. Easiest and free way is a BFI, but I dont think it will yield the power gains your looking for. Second would be na-t (actually No2, but I dont like the stuff personally) and a modest 5-9psi, I think would be more of what your looking for but can cost anywhere from $1500-8K.

Let us know more of what your looking for and search around the forums.
Old 08-27-10, 11:11 AM
Jetjockey
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate the response, I was thinking to start off with intake and exhaust. Any recommendations? Also ive been doing some research on turbo kits. For that would i have to get an aftermarket ecu or could i reprogram the stock? Is it feasible to use a used turbo from a blown TT 2jz. Is there any good books out there either on the 2jz or sc300?
Old 08-27-10, 11:42 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

For the intake, BFI is the best route hands down. Just search BFI and you will see the different designs and ideas, but in the end its better than a $200 Injen. As for the exhaust, as long as you dont go bigger than a 3'' single (after that with n/a your just losing power) any exhaust will do. A very popular choice is 3'' from the cat-back to dual 2.5'' with various mufflers.

As for the turbo, you can use the stock ecu with a simple SAFC setup with no issues. The TT turbo manifold wont bolt to the stock GE head, so using the stock twins is out. XS Power makes a decent turbo kit, and there are a few members making some decent numbers with it. My advice, just piece your own kit together. Keep the vital parts a good quality brand if used (i.e-turbo, WG, bov, greedy, turbonetics, tial, etc.) and a majority of the other parts can be had for cheap either from ebay (DP, oil lines, fmic, etc.) or from the classifieds here and on supraforums.com.
Old 08-27-10, 11:51 AM
Jetjockey
Driver School Candidate

cool, thanks for the launch point.
Old 08-27-10, 12:11 PM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

Another option for the intake is to buy a $15 maf adapter and ur choice of filter.
Old 08-27-10, 01:13 PM
DirtDiggz
Rookie

Originally Posted by Li Ls4
Another option for the intake is to buy a $15 maf adapter and ur choice of filter.
Hey, is the oem intake pipe 2.5 or 3"??
Old 08-27-10, 04:25 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Li Ls4
true, but with the BFI you are able to block some of the hot air from the engine bay, while with a standard open element filter, your pulling in air from every direction vs. the BFI is from behind the headlight/front of the vehicle. Not to mention, you dont have to buy anything to do a BFI, provided you have a dremel/grinder and .02 worth of common sense.
Old 08-27-10, 05:11 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

Just reading this made me take notice of the way i build my cars the motor is almost the last thing i mod normally i start from the wheels,suspension then motor.
Old 08-27-10, 06:24 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pipe
Just reading this made me take notice of the way i build my cars the motor is almost the last thing i mod normally i start from the wheels,suspension then motor.
Your not alone. I started the same way.
Old 08-27-10, 08:05 PM
Cletus
Rookie

suspension, motor, more motor, wheels and then cosmetic.
Old 08-27-10, 08:27 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

I have a few cousins with older supras MKIII's (I had an 89) they do motor drop waaay more motor then forget about the brakes, Mine was the slowest but waay cleaner and mine had ABS hahahahahaha.
Old 08-27-10, 10:41 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbodremz
true, but with the BFI you are able to block some of the hot air from the engine bay, while with a standard open element filter, your pulling in air from every direction vs. the BFI is from behind the headlight/front of the vehicle. Not to mention, you dont have to buy anything to do a BFI, provided you have a dremel/grinder and .02 worth of common sense.
There's head shields for the cone type filters that mount inside the engine bay, not the cold air type cuz you don't need one, but I'm not sure if those heat shields really work.
Old 08-28-10, 12:19 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Meanshyguy
There's head shields for the cone type filters that mount inside the engine bay, not the cold air type cuz you don't need one, but I'm not sure if those heat shields really work.
Oh I know they have heat shields, but $$$, where with the BFI, it can simply be FREE..
Old 08-28-10, 12:49 AM
Copilot
Driver

My vote goes for 5speed swap.

Quick Reply: SC300 mod tips