SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New Member here! Need help. Pics included.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-10, 01:48 PM
mattylexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member here! Need help. Pics included.

Hello everyone. I just bought this 96 Sc300 5spd about a week ago and love it so far. I do have one question though that I hope someone has an answer to.

There is no license plate holder on the back of my veilside bumper and the 2 holes are all the way at the top of the section for the license plate not allowing me to get a regular license plate holder not to mention even just the license plate bolted. The gap as shown on the rear end picture is even wider than a standard license plate meaning even if I could get to the top bolts there would still be a gap on both sides of the plate allowing you to see into the bumper and even the metal chassis of the car. Seems to me like there is some special longer license bracket available. Does anyone know if there is a custom license plate holder for this rear bumper or do I need to go make one out of some aluminum?

I've looked and I've searched and have not found a solution for this as of yet besides custom making my own holder.

Last edited by mattylexus; 08-31-10 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-31-10, 02:00 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the new purchase. I think there should be several
different mounting brackets online or be unique and build yourself something
custom. I know that Bell sells a "tilting" unit for $8 or $9 dollars at autozone.
I used mine on the front but you can probably do the same for the rear. Does
your rear bumper have license plate bulbs hooked up?

A few tips you will probably hear after seeing your pics.
Polish your head lights, complete the kit with a front Veilside
bumper or swap the sides and rear for 97+ sides and rear (which
IMO looks better), clean engine bay a bit and find spark/timing
cover to avoid issues. Some people like it explosed but they
protect against heat, water, etc. It's also begging for coil
overs and wheels but you already know that

Again welcome, hope to hear from you.
Old 08-31-10, 02:11 PM
mattylexus
Driver School Candidate

These pictures were taken on day one. Already wetsanded and polished the headlights and they look great. I like the bodykit as it is subtle and will look good after coilovers and rims. Already replaced the timing cover as well Probably will just make a custom bracket out of cf or aluminum. And it does have license plate bulbs in the bumper.

Last edited by mattylexus; 08-31-10 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-31-10, 03:33 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good looking SC, but IMO, nothing subtle about those side skirts or rear bumper. I agree with Tabaka, OEM 97 skirts and rear would look much better.
Old 08-31-10, 03:50 PM
mattylexus
Driver School Candidate

To each his own. If you would like to buy me the 97 oem side skirts and rear bumper for me to see then i would be glad to try it I am not a ricer I also have a white Mazdaspeed6 not 3 as can be seen in the pics but this is how the car came and I really have better plans to spend money elsewhere before worrying about some sideskirts or bumper ie: 2jz-gte, tein coilovers, SEM black dash job, wheels etc.

Last edited by mattylexus; 08-31-10 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-31-10, 04:42 PM
wagomaniac
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mattylexus
To each his own. If you would like to buy me the 97 oem side skirts and rear bumper for me to see then i would be glad to try it I am not a ricer I also have a white Mazdaspeed6 not 3 as can be seen in the pics but this is how the car came and I really have better plans to spend money elsewhere before worrying about some sideskirts or bumper ie: 2jz-gte, tein coilovers, SEM black dash job, wheels etc.
yeah and please polish those headlights!
Old 08-31-10, 04:51 PM
mattylexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kingluis6
yeah and please polish those headlights!
Already did as I posted.
Old 08-31-10, 05:04 PM
00whiteek
Rookie

I Like it, nice pick up for sure. But I am with the other guys I like the look of the stock 97+ body. Think of it this way if you get a stock rear bumper you can bolt your license plate right up lol. I am not bashing in any way Just stating my opinion. Keep us updated on your car...
Old 08-31-10, 05:29 PM
mattylexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 00whiteek
I Like it, nice pick up for sure. But I am with the other guys I like the look of the stock 97+ body. Think of it this way if you get a stock rear bumper you can bolt your license plate right up lol. I am not bashing in any way Just stating my opinion. Keep us updated on your car...
Thanks I like it too. Like I said it came this way. Would I have spent 1500+ adding a veilside kit and paint no, but it seems silly to spend that same amount to change it back to oem at this point when it could be spent on other things needed waaay before. I'll keep you posted on the license plate holder and prgress of the car. I had to look in 2 different states to find a low mileage 5spd. You take what you can get and its waaay clean and sound.
Old 08-31-10, 05:38 PM
Copilot
Driver

Veilside bodykit with stock ride height. LOL
Old 08-31-10, 06:01 PM
mattylexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Copilot
Veilside bodykit with stock ride height. LOL
Wow that was very helpful...

You know I came on here to be a new member and ask a question about a license plate not get opinions that don't mean **** and are non welcoming.

You act like the stock ride height is huge, yet when compared to other manufacturers (nissan, honda) have 4-5 inch gaps that were made in the mid 90's.

I gurantee you if I posted these pictures with tein coilovers and 19's with a 2jz-gte you would be like damn, nice car. But becasue I haven't done that you post something just to try and boost your ego. GFY.

Last edited by mattylexus; 08-31-10 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-31-10, 07:24 PM
Copilot
Driver

Originally Posted by mattylexus
Wow that was very helpful...

You know I came on here to be a new member and ask a question about a license plate not get opinions that don't mean **** and are non welcoming.

You act like the stock ride height is huge, yet when compared to other manufacturers (nissan, honda) have 4-5 inch gaps that were made in the mid 90's.

I gurantee you if I posted these pictures with tein coilovers and 19's with a 2jz-gte you would be like damn, nice car. But becasue I haven't done that you post something just to try and boost your ego. GFY.
No, I just feel like buying the most expensive body kit but still riding around on stock ride height looks stupid.

Not trying to boost my ego, my soarer is completely stock, but I sure wouldn't spend money on body kits while I still have stock wheels and stock ride height when it makes the car ugly.
Old 08-31-10, 07:47 PM
mattylexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Copilot
No, I just feel like buying the most expensive body kit but still riding around on stock ride height looks stupid.

Not trying to boost my ego, my soarer is completely stock, but I sure wouldn't spend money on body kits while I still have stock wheels and stock ride height when it makes the car ugly.
Well luckily for me I didn't spend any money on it if you read the whole post moron.

So you would have just bought a normal AT SC300 with high miles, stock ride height, stock wheels, bad paint, bad interior rather than this specific low mileage 5spd because it has a bodykit?? Seems pretty stupid.

Like I said. I DIDN"T BUY THE BODYKIT. I just got this car. Already had 97 wheels, front bumper, STS and bodykit.

"man Im not going to buy that rare SC300 eventhough its immaculate because Im an idiot and don't like the bodykit"

It does appear by all 42 posts you've ever made that 90% of them are negative. Sounds about right. little negative troll keep up there in BC with all the mounties queer.

Last edited by mattylexus; 08-31-10 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-10-10, 12:10 AM
Exthultu
Pole Position

I like the car, and I'm always tired of seeing everyone saying to lower this, and lower that. Whats the point of a body kit if you are just going to scrape it up? And I would say that 80% of the SC community is sporting the 97+ body regardless if they own a pre 97. Be original I say keep the Veilside parts.
Old 09-10-10, 12:18 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the holes are drilled for a japanese plate; go to any vatozone or pepboys and get a license plate bracket (rubber) for about $3 and then add your own metal bracket if needed

you're going to need 2 pairs of screws and a pair of nut to make it fit.

Quick Reply: New Member here! Need help. Pics included.