SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

strange sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 05:07 PM
M1K3L4RRY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Guys I have the exact same Fxxxxx problem.

The problem is so low you cant hear it with the windows open only when the windows are closed.

Now the problem happens when you give it a certain amount of gas at low rpm's.

Ive tried to roll down a hill and the problem persists downhill with no reving of engine.

At first I thought maybe it was some sort of cv joint or ball joint but it comes from almost directly under the console so I dont know.

Since it is summer now I just roll my windows down and dont worry about it.

And no the problem does not occur for me in reverse and it doesn not seem to effect performance at all.

Smooth shifting--quick pick up--great sounding engine----but this tiny little knocking from under the console------i have no idea what it is.

Doesnt seem to be affected by turning as i have tried that.

But looking back this problem has been there since I bought the car 6-7 months ago and hasnt seemed to get any worse.

I feel a little better knowing that some of you have the same issue---maybe it will be easier for us to figure it out---it doesnt seem to serious is right but it is annoying and it does cause me to worry about it sometimes.

I hope we can figure this out guys---keep in touch and good luck.

I am going to keep trying to figure it out and i will surely let you guys know if i come up with anything.
worddd im gettin my car inspected within the next 10 days and im gonna have him to a once over the whole thing and let me know if anything is wrong and while im at it im gonna have him check out the sound and let me know what he thinks it is so when he does ill post up his findings on here since i am obviously not the only person w this sound, thanks again, im new here and i gotta say im likin it
Old 09-03-10, 05:19 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kln552

I've searched it too . . . repeatedly - and respectfully disagree there is anything that fits. There are several posts about a similar sound. Two are concerning manual 5sp SC300s, and several more have to do with Catalytic converter shields, etc. Those are not what we have. There's always somebody that can't wait to tell someone to search. Irritating, especially when you already have.
I'm doing my best to resist the temptation to do the freakin searches myself just to prove my point, but then I don't really think I need to in this case as you have sufficiently proved my point by stating what I've underlined above. The OP had said, and I quote: "nope, nothin about it", to which I then responded with disagreement; but clearly now you've found numerous threads about it, you've just determined that none of them apply to your situation; which is interesting considering you don't have a clue what it is or where it's coming from, SO from my perspective, IT IS relevant!

As much as you may find it irritating that people are told to search first, you certainly can't be oblivious to the flip side of the coin; where the dearth of new threads that are created here are by people who have obviously spent more time creating the thread than even attempting to make even the simplest of searches for the info, let alone an intelligent, advanced search. I'm NOT saying that was the case here, but the occurrence is all too common and is likewise irritating to other members. Please be considerate of them as well.

No offense, but honestly, sometimes I wonder what (or if) they teach kids about how to use computers these days
So many people (not saying you or the op) say they search, but came up with nothing, yet with a few keywords I can pull up numerous threads that are useful. IDK, what the best solution is man, but I will tell you, the irritation is definitely felt ALL around the issue!
Old 09-03-10, 06:21 PM
kln552
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by good2go
I'm doing my best to resist the temptation to do the freakin searches myself just to prove my point, but then I don't really think I need to in this case as you have sufficiently proved my point by stating what I've underlined above. The OP had said, and I quote: "nope, nothin about it", to which I then responded with disagreement; but clearly now you've found numerous threads about it, you've just determined that none of them apply to your situation; which is interesting considering you don't have a clue what it is or where it's coming from, SO from my perspective, IT IS relevant!

As much as you may find it irritating that people are told to search first, you certainly can't be oblivious to the flip side of the coin; where the dearth of new threads that are created here are by people who have obviously spent more time creating the thread than even attempting to make even the simplest of searches for the info, let alone an intelligent, advanced search. I'm NOT saying that was the case here, but the occurrence is all too common and is likewise irritating to other members. Please be considerate of them as well.

No offense, but honestly, sometimes I wonder what (or if) they teach kids about how to use computers these days
So many people (not saying you or the op) say they search, but came up with nothing, yet with a few keywords I can pull up numerous threads that are useful. IDK, what the best solution is man, but I will tell you, the irritation is definitely felt ALL around the issue!
Uhhhh, like I said, we searched it . . . to death. Nothing that we found was the same sound, same location or provided an answer. It wasn't our issue. Therefore new thread. Get over it.
Old 09-03-10, 06:35 PM
adamsbomb
Rookie

Not to mention, people dont need to respond in a thread, they can choose to ignore it. I personally don't see a problem, if you dont want to answer or respond dont, pretty simple. Some people dont have hours to scan through all the relavant threads that may come up to a search. Just my two cents.
Old 09-03-10, 07:07 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

please get back to me and let me know what your mechanic finds-----the sound is loud enough to where im sure they can at least have an idea of what it is.

the good thing is i do not think it has to do with the tranny because try clicking into neutral next time u hear the sound and it doesnt change at all---let off the revs and the same thing------im thinking this is some sort of joint or bearing of some sort that is in tune with the rolling speed of the car and not necessarily the revs.

anyways looking forward to hearing back from you
Old 09-03-10, 09:10 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

You could try and jack the car up high enough off the ground that you could put it in drive and the wheels could spin. That way you have a much better chance of zeroing in on the location of the noise from the underside of the car. I don't recommend it, but its worth a shot if your mechanic can figure it out.
Old 09-03-10, 09:41 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Is there a carier bearing in the middle of our dr shaft? And if it's never been replaced it's a good possibility and also driveshaft u joints need to be inspected. I never paid attention to the sound, but I'll be be listening for it.

Good post

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 09-03-10 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-03-10, 11:52 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kln552
Uhhhh, like I said, we searched it . . . to death. Nothing that we found was the same sound, same location or provided an answer. It wasn't our issue. Therefore new thread. Get over it.
you have a pm
Old 09-04-10, 08:03 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

well i have a little bit of good news--

today i rolled my car down a big hill in neutral with the car turned off and the sound was there loud and clear.

we can at least rule out the engine and tranny-----possibly the drive shaft--

i once had a old honda that made a similar sound to this but actually much louder----turned out to be the cv joint.

still not sure what it is but at least we can start eliminating things and making progress

if it was the drive shaft would it still be making this sound in neutral with the car off----i dont know--dont think so---could be wrong though

ill keep in touch
Old 09-04-10, 09:06 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

well i have a little bit of good news--

today i rolled my car down a big hill in neutral with the car turned off and the sound was there loud and clear.

we can at least rule out the engine and tranny-----possibly the drive shaft--

i once had a old honda that made a similar sound to this but actually much louder----turned out to be the cv joint.

still not sure what it is but at least we can start eliminating things and making progress

if it was the drive shaft would it still be making this sound in neutral with the car off----i dont know--dont think so---could be wrong though

ill keep in touch
If your rear wheels are turning, then so are your driveshaft and the output shaft of the tranny. If your engine was off and you were rolling in neutral, you can eliminate the engine and its accesories, torque converter, and and most of the tranny.
Old 09-04-10, 09:51 AM
kln552
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have a pm
Got PM from good2go, and I have to say his searching skills are way superior to mine. I'm going to forward the links he sent me to those having this problem (unless he already did). For the "playing card fluttering sound" the best bet seems to be "center main driveshaft bearing." If I was a bit cranky to good2go, my apologies bro . . . you may have me on the track to solve the problem. Links that seems to do the trick are:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/susp...ise-maybe.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-4...ming-from.html
Old 09-04-10, 10:00 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

If your rear wheels are turning, then so are your driveshaft and the output shaft of the tranny. If your engine was off and you were rolling in neutral, you can eliminate the engine and its accesories, torque converter, and and most of the tranny.
okay that is good to know---

today i was driving again and i found a spot where the sound starts--10-12kmh and is directly in tune with me hitting the gas pedal--

if i give it gas it makes noise if i let off it goes away--

this is definitely starting to seem like the drive shaft--

does anyone know how urgent this is to fix....i seem to have had this problem for 6-7 months now and it hasnt got much worse--maybe a little bit

money is of course an issue---

good2go great links to those threads----thanks again man

i think were finally getting somewhere

oh and is it okay to put the car in drive and give it gas with the wheels of the ground---i would really like to get under the car to try to figure this out once and for all-------does the car need to be under load to be in drive or can it drive freely with wheels in the air-----thanks again

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 09-04-10 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-04-10, 10:37 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

okay that is good to know---

today i was driving again and i found a spot where the sound starts--10-12kmh and is directly in tune with me hitting the gas pedal--

if i give it gas it makes noise if i let off it goes away--

this is definitely starting to seem like the drive shaft--

does anyone know how urgent this is to fix....i seem to have had this problem for 6-7 months now and it hasnt got much worse--maybe a little bit

money is of course an issue---

good2go great links to those threads----thanks again man

i think were finally getting somewhere

oh and is it okay to put the car in drive and give it gas with the wheels of the ground---i would really like to get under the car to try to figure this out once and for all-------does the car need to be under load to be in drive or can it drive freely with wheels in the air-----thanks again
Yes, you can put the car up and put it in drive, but the load is different and the wheels will spin much easier and faster even at idle, so basically your drivetrain will probably be under different conditions and thus, the symptoms may or may not show up the same.

I need to make a HUGE SAFETY NOTE HERE: DO NOT put your car up and engage the drivetrain unless your are 100% confident that you know how to properly support it on stands. There was just a thread here about a car 'falling' off of a jack because it wasn't supported properly. Imagine if that car was also in gear and launched forward upon landing

If you can't do it right, then man up and pay for it; it could save your life!

EDIT:
One more thing: be careful not to spin it too fast without any load.
And yet another thing, with your car up and the suspension in full droop, your driveline will be at a different angle and may or may not repeat "as driving" symptoms.

Last edited by good2go; 09-04-10 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-04-10, 10:44 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

thanks good2go

youve been a great help here---

my next reply will hopefully be one with some definite answers

ill keep in touch guys
Old 09-04-10, 11:01 AM
M1K3L4RRY
Driver School Candidate

you guys are awesome, good work, good to hear that its not the tranny, that woulda sucked

on a side note, those links provided by good2go dont work for me, idk if its just my computer but it says page not found

Quick Reply: strange sound