SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What do you guys think about over-fender rivets??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-10, 06:28 AM
theory5150
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do you guys think about over-fender rivets??

As much as I hate people posting pictures of common parts saying "what part is this??" id really like to know what over-fenders these are? Maybe a j spec only part? personally i think the rivets look bad@$$. What do you guys think?

Old 09-04-10, 06:28 AM
theory5150
Lexus Test Driver

wheel fitment is spot on too, overall looks dope
Old 09-04-10, 06:53 AM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

rivets look bad. (imo)
If you wanna go with a grungy, "function over form, for form" look, go with dzuz fastners. different, and easy to pop off (adding more to the "function over form, for form" look)
Old 09-04-10, 06:54 AM
SC YAA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea bro i think they look bad to i like a more clean look so if i was you id just bondo over the holes.
Old 09-04-10, 08:32 AM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

those overfenders look good over the wheel but the front looks horrible....if ur gonna race the car and dont care rivet it....if its for show do it the right way...
Old 09-04-10, 09:15 AM
JohnMatt
Pole Position

Useless widebody ricer tire stretch. Get a widebody and run some 315s out back
Old 09-04-10, 09:40 AM
Dr.Fate
Pole Position

I love the over fender look! the only problem is the stuff they use to make the the overfenders! FRP Hybrid is ok for lips/bumper, sides and rear but fender IMO should be made out of some kind of metal IMO. Stuff cracks on ruff roads.
Rivets need to go.
Old 09-04-10, 09:57 AM
kwg
Lead Lap

For purpose built race cars only
Old 09-04-10, 10:32 AM
00whiteek
Rookie

I love the stance of that but I am not a fan of the rivets.
Old 09-04-10, 01:18 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

not on a lexus
Old 09-04-10, 05:43 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing wrong with rivets. Some of you guys here must be some kind of elitist. God forbid anyone have stretched tires or over fenders for that matter. I guess the Vertex Ridge kit is "rice" also. Calling it for only for purpose built cars is a huge stretch. So engine mods, 6 pot calipers, race buckets, or any mod for that matter is only for purpose built cars? We do this because we love to. Some for speed, others for looks, most for individuality. It's why we build our cars.

As far as I know, tracking down a set of K&M Missile rear over fenders will be impossible. trust me I looked. The only available rear over fenders for out cars now are the Vertex and BN Sports ones. I plan on going with the BM Sports model to match my D-Max front fenders.

All rice I take it. Do you think the lack of molding would take away from the awesomeness of these rides. I think not.
Old 09-04-10, 06:24 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TougeSC3
Nothing wrong with rivets. Some of you guys here must be some kind of elitist. God forbid anyone have stretched tires or over fenders for that matter. I guess the Vertex Ridge kit is "rice" also. Calling it for only for purpose built cars is a huge stretch. So engine mods, 6 pot calipers, race buckets, or any mod for that matter is only for purpose built cars? We do this because we love to. Some for speed, others for looks, most for individuality. It's why we build our cars.
the problem is not whether they are riveted on, but rather, why they are riveted on. if they are riveted for easy removal/replacement (racers/drifters), fine (still think the dzuz fasteners or the like are a better choice).
if you are doing it for a show/daily, do it right. on a daily/show, it indeed IS rice (themed rides are an exception), will fit right in with the big ol' wing'd, rattle-can-primer-over-paint civics.
Old 09-05-10, 12:16 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by theory5150
wheel fitment is spot on too, overall looks dope
Nope it's terrible. Being able to see the lip of the wheel where the bead is supposed to mate up is awful fitment. I understand tires bigger than 225s are slightly more expensive, but seriously if you can't afford a correctly sized tire you're in the wrong hobby. This isn't elitist, this is a fact- tires stretched to that point are a godawful mod that not only looks horrible but is detrimental to performance and safety.

In the famed word of Sir Charles "TERRIBLE"
Old 09-05-10, 12:25 AM
kwg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TougeSC3

As far as I know, tracking down a set of K&M Missile rear over fenders will be impossible. trust me I looked. The only available rear over fenders for out cars now are the Vertex and BN Sports ones. I plan on going with the BM Sports model to match my D-Max front fenders.

All rice I take it. Do you think the lack of molding would take away from the awesomeness of these rides. I think not.
i definitely do not have a problem with rear over fenders like the vertex kits (i actually LOVE the widebody look), however im not a fan of riveting them. some prefer it but on the SC i'd personally have it seamless. i'd only rivet something on if it i was going for that look or a race car for easy access of panels.

edit: the lack of molding doesnt take anything away from the rides but the "look" of the car would definitely not be the same if the rears were riveted. for example the last pic you posted, i personally dont think it would look as "clean and sleek" if it had rivets on them...little details go a long way.

Last edited by kwg; 09-05-10 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-05-10, 01:13 AM
Forte EXE
Pole Position

The pic the OP posted is this soarer.

I dont know about ricer stretch, since this car has been around for years.
In my opinion, rivets are better because over time, molded over fenders get stressed and start cracking at the mold points.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about over-fender rivets??