SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

how much should I cut my springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-10, 09:45 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

The Tein S-tech Supra TT lowering springs give a really good drop. If you really want to SLAM IT, get Supra TT struts and Falken TT springs. They dumped my car to the point that people thought I had air bag suspension. The Tein's will give you what you're looking for though.
Old 09-05-10, 09:45 PM
mike97SC3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha as i said i was new. but i was on here to look for this guy can anyone help me http://tulsa.craigslist.org/ctd/1862698685.html
Old 09-05-10, 09:55 PM
lmn8
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by turbodremz
you want suspension for a 93-98 MK4 Supra, so yes the coilovers you posted there will work. I am so glad everyone talked you out of cutting your springs. Please just do it right, keep your SC clean and SAFE. Keep us posted.
well this thread has been great with alot of helpfull information so thanks guys and one last question am i able to use my stock struts with the mk4 supra springs? and if i do go with mk4 struts i would be expecting lower ride is this due to mk4 struts being shorter..thanks once again
Old 09-05-10, 10:00 PM
Copilot
Driver

Originally Posted by mike97SC3
haha as i said i was new. but i was on here to look for this guy can anyone help me http://tulsa.craigslist.org/ctd/1862698685.html

Make your own thread here and people can help you: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-400-300-6/

Just click the new thread button, make sure you read the stickies at the top also.
Old 09-05-10, 10:02 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

OMG cut springs? That's something you do to Nissans, not a Lexus!
Old 09-05-10, 10:05 PM
lmn8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Luxor
nope not even close i just got rid of my s13 with full modded suspension from kts full adjustable coilovers to 300zx five lug conversion with megan ruca's to tie rod ends and such on i know better but i only considered it from talking to a local who has his sc with cut springs
Old 09-05-10, 10:07 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lmn8
well this thread has been great with alot of helpfull information so thanks guys and one last question am i able to use my stock struts with the mk4 supra springs? and if i do go with mk4 struts i would be expecting lower ride is this due to mk4 struts being shorter..thanks once again
No, you must use Supra shocks with Supra springs. They dont mix and match due to different perch designs and physical dimensions of the shock body.

Generally the Supra suspension will add another .5'' drop. So when looking at springs (i.e.: Supra Eibach pros) you need to factor in the extra .5''. The Eibachs lower a Supra 1.3'' IIRC, so total drop on an SC would be 1.8''. I know on my SC the Supra Eibachs with KYB AGX shocks, I got almost a full 2'', and LOVE the ride.
Old 09-05-10, 10:38 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Copilot
Don't cut your springs, its a lexus man. Cutting your springs on track cars and stuff like that is fine but just spend the $200 on some lowering springs. Cut springs **** up your struts.
People who have track cars would never think of cutting there springs. That would handle the car horribly.

Cutting your springs will not only **** up your spring rates and huge chances of ruining your shocks you will mess up the spring compression horribly. Don't be so cheap and buy 200 dollar lowering springs. If not down the road youll be spending much more.

Last edited by nfordhk; 09-05-10 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-06-10, 06:39 AM
adamsbomb
Rookie

Not to be an ***, but if any of you watch any of the car building shows, you will see people like Chip Foose actually cut springs to get the proper stance he wants. Sooo, while you may see many cars that have had the springs overly cut and dumped, it is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Most of the time the reason there is a problem is people cut them with a torch which does mess up the temper of the steel, but if you cut them slowly with a sawzall and do not remove too much it is not bad.
Flame suit on.....
FIRRRRRE
Old 09-06-10, 06:43 AM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luxor
lexus is still just a toyota, no matter how you spell it.
nissan, toyota, honda, lexus, cadillac, fiat, whatever. you never cut springs.
Old 09-06-10, 07:48 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adamsbomb
Not to be an ***, but if any of you watch any of the car building shows, you will see people like Chip Foose actually cut springs to get the proper stance he wants. Sooo, while you may see many cars that have had the springs overly cut and dumped, it is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Most of the time the reason there is a problem is people cut them with a torch which does mess up the temper of the steel, but if you cut them slowly with a sawzall and do not remove too much it is not bad.
Flame suit on.....
FIRRRRRE

With that being said(and not flaming you, cause you do make a point), would you get in to an argument over vehicle/wheel design, or argue with him about engine performance of a Chevy BB V-8? Probably not, simply because he has been messing with cars longer than half the members on CL have been alive. Therefore its obvious that he KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING. Me personally, I still cringe even seeing Foose cut springs. But thats still ONE guy that you see doing this (outside of the Honda community anyway), but how many Nascar, JGTC, NHRA, NIRA, D1, etc.. race minded teams cutting springs?? NONE, and for a specific reason. Cause like said in this thread already, it physically changes the spring rates and characteristics. And if you have no way of measuring these changes, your gambling.
Old 09-06-10, 07:53 AM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Im going to go with its just a tv show...He was trying to make a deadline it was drama
Old 09-06-10, 08:52 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by mike97SC3
I've seen that SC before. It's really clean and it's in pretty good shape. Where at in Oklahoma are you?

Originally Posted by BenStoked
lexus is still just a toyota, no matter how you spell it.
nissan, toyota, honda, lexus, cadillac, fiat, whatever. you never cut springs.
Very true! NEVER cut your springs as you not only destroy your ride quality, but you're stock struts will blow out after a while.
Old 09-06-10, 09:24 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Cutting springs is not as bad as you guys think as long as you're not trying to dramatically change the length or the spring rate (typically more than 5%).

It's the ricers who gives cutting springs a bad name because they overdo it.

As long as you're not heating the springs, a very small cut is fine.
Old 09-06-10, 11:05 AM
adamsbomb
Rookie

Also, unless the springs are progressive, it will not change the spring rate (although I am not sure if the sc's have progressive springs or not) or if you heat them to a temperature that will take away the temper of the steel. As to the statement about the race cars you mention, nascar, jgtc etc those are specific applications of race cars, where height, spring rate, dampening etc are matched to create as good a setup as possible for a given track. We are not talking about racing around a track at 90 miles per hour, merely a street driven car. I personally do not cut springs either, but I see this same statement made all the time, the BMW people say the same exact thing, its a bmw yada yada and when done right it is not as big an issue as people make it out to be. Eibach springs will lower your car approximately 1" (give or take, sport or pro) as long as your struts are in good shape this minor difference will not cause a problem with the struts either. The biggest problem I see with cutting the springs is getting them to sit correctly in the perches. Think about the potential lawsuit for Mr Foose if that was not safe to do, he did it on tv and then handed over the car to a civilian. I am sure he is not willing to do anything that could potentially ruin his name.

Quick Reply: how much should I cut my springs