SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Not so stock ride height...? Possible spring sag.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-10, 05:27 PM
VKBSC3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not so stock ride height...? Possible spring sag.

Hey CL,

I had a successful post earlier so I thought I'd try my luck again I've been peeking around at different newbie and OG threads alike and have noticed a common theme amongst the newbie thread comments: NEED MORE LOOWWW! That being said, I went out to my own car to see if I too "needed more low" and if the ride height on my stock SC was as high as some of these other cars; I've noticed that maybe it isn't Here are a couple shots I just took and one old one of the stance:

It seems a little lower than most of the stock SCs I've seen on here, and I've even gotten compliments on my low stance...which I was oblivious to. As you can see, I can barely fit my hand in the gap between the tire and fender in the back. I crawled underneath the car and everything seems the same age, so I don't think there have been any new shocks or springs added. I suspect I'm stuck with spring sag but it doesn't seem very common among our cars. My tire size is 225/55/16 (OEM size according to Tire Rack) so I ruled out "big, beefy tires" as a cause for this illusion. Am I wrong in assuming that? By the way, my trunk is pretty empty and I know I need to refinish my pillars

I'm planning on getting a new suspension setup soon anyway, but I was just curious to see what other members thought
Old 09-06-10, 05:52 PM
theory5150
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clean sc Same thing happened with mine but only on the drivers side, passenger side was monster truckin'. I would assume its normal, take it as a win
Old 09-06-10, 05:56 PM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's almost how my SC is sitting now. With over 15 years (I have a '95) on the stock suspension, I'd suspect the springs are sagging. It does give a lowered stance in a way so I don't mind it at all.

On a similar topic, I've noticed the SC400 have lower ride height stock vs. that of SC300. Also, as production year progresses, ride height seems to go lower.
Old 09-06-10, 08:23 PM
okbobbo
Pole Position

Default Fairly common...

Mine sagged almost an inch on the driver's side. Eibach prokit solved the problem.
Old 09-06-10, 08:32 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

My sc is the same. I always considered my SC pretty low for stock height haha.
Old 09-06-10, 08:39 PM
VKBSC3
Driver

Originally Posted by theory5150
clean sc Same thing happened with mine but only on the drivers side, passenger side was monster truckin'. I would assume its normal, take it as a win
Thanks for the props man The Benz in the garage is cleaner, faster, and has half the mileage. And my dad offered to write it over to my name since he never uses it, but I couldn't take it from him with a good conscience

I don't think I'm sitting with one side higher than the other, however I'm pretty sure the back is lower than the front. Hopefully it gets resolved when I get the last bit of money for my shocks and springs...or maybe when I decide to splurge for coilovers, however I'm not tracking it or anything so it's not justified rationally at this point

@ Theory, I've noticed the same thing and have resolved that cars (or anything for that matter) are generally going to appeal to the masses at any given point in time. Why else would we be seeing OEM 20" wheels on SUVs meant to do more than haul a single mom, an infant, and her groceries? Luckily for us our cars were so far ahead of their times when they were produced that they are still considered classy and ahead of their game Minus the idiots who turn them into donks

Please excuse the small rant, I saw two 17-year-old girls get out of a cherry red Maserati earlier

Last edited by VKBSC3; 09-06-10 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 09-06-10, 08:48 PM
VKBSC3
Driver

Originally Posted by okbobbo
Mine sagged almost an inch on the driver's side. Eibach prokit solved the problem.
Will have to look into that, I found a set just now for ~$270 so it may be more practical. I've been researching and generally people have been happy with a KYB GR2/Tien setup; did you change your shocks as well? As I said earlier I'm still debating coilovers and would rather save up for a little longer and pick them up if they are going to be that much better than a simple shock/spring upgrade.

@nfordhk, I know man! I was really pleased with the stance when I first checked the car out and I figured that it was something Lexus intended on doing since it was a luxury sports car Unfortunately I wasn't a pro yet so I deemed it acceptable and snatched the car up; had I known it was due to sag I would have asked the guy to bump the price down. The car still rides perfectly though so I can't complain too much!
Old 09-06-10, 09:35 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Haha yeah. Well I know a lot of people change their shocks as well due to lowering springs on stock shocks (some say the can't handle it and eventually will blow out) also to change the stiffness of the ride. Is this true? Yes...But how long is this process it the question my brother drove on lowering springs for 2 years on stock shocks only reason he bought new shocks was to increase the comfortably of the ride.

I held out on suspension for the longest time. I finally found a good deal on some ksport kontrol pros for 400! 5k miles. Yes 1 is leaking but after I get the shock body replaced for 110 by Ksport the total price only comes to 510 which is half the price of retail best decision iv made.

You have to look for what you want in terms of suspension and think which is financially better for you. If you buy shocks for 400 and springs for 270 thats 670. Right there you could locate some used coilovers. Or save 150 more and buy brand new tien or megans.
Old 09-07-10, 12:07 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 425 Likes on 349 Posts

That's way lower than my SC was stock, but then again, I had the original 15 inch wheels. I wish my suspension had sagged so I didn't look donked out when I got bigger wheels. How is the ride quality on the saggy springs?

I love those wheels you have on there. The polished ones remind of the Supra TT wheels.
Old 09-07-10, 06:34 AM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

This reminds of something that poped up a few years ago where one side was lower than the other. Had something to do with the sway bar mount or bracket...something like that.
Old 09-07-10, 07:31 AM
VKBSC3
Driver

Originally Posted by Kira X
That's way lower than my SC was stock, but then again, I had the original 15 inch wheels. I wish my suspension had sagged so I didn't look donked out when I got bigger wheels. How is the ride quality on the saggy springs?

I love those wheels you have on there. The polished ones remind of the Supra TT wheels.
I actually like the wheels a lot as well, though I really want TT wheels or the 18" G35 wheels since they clear the LS BBK. They are the stock 16s but I don't think they will clear the kit, which is unfortunate since I've got barely used Potenza GRIDs on there I'll probably have to wait until these go bad or sell them to get something bigger. As for ride quality, it's still outstanding IMO. Doesn't quite compare to the Benz, but it's definitely better than most of the cars I've had

@ ISFFUN, I'll have to search for that thread on here, but at this point I'm happy that this is a small, common issue amongst members with stock suspension setups. Besides, I wouldn't want to become a tractor or something
Old 09-07-10, 07:48 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VKBSC3
I don't think I'm sitting with one side higher than the other, however I'm pretty sure the back is lower than the front. Hopefully it gets resolved when I get the last bit of money for my shocks and springs...or maybe when I decide to splurge for coilovers, however I'm not tracking it or anything so it's not justified rationally at this point
Search "gixxer_drew" in suspension/brakes section AND in the Supra forum.
i will be going this route after reading all the positive reviews... it's worth a shot for the $ IMO