SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Drift setup for my SC300

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-10, 06:20 PM
Ssergio86
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please share with the world of us wanna be (me) drifters the angle mods!!!....because i know these cars dont have very much angle.
Old 09-09-10, 07:02 PM
SCDanny
Rookie

I have a CNC staging brake and it freakin rocks. Im on stock crappy autozone spec pads and it still works like a champ. Throw some half way decentt pads in the rear and it will kill it. The stock hand brake only controlls your drums in the rear. Good enough to park the car and maybe lock the rears once or twice. Get a CNC or a hydro. Other than that everyone els is right. Welded diff, coilovers and a seat.
Old 09-10-10, 10:05 AM
Murvilboy
Driver

well should i learn the car first and then start modding it or should i just mod it first then learn the car? the carbon body panels arent priority i just wanted to cut down weight. well i really appreciate any help and does anyone know of any events in the southeastern part of the US?
Old 09-10-10, 10:24 AM
Zachsta
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say learn the car then start modding. It'll give you a more solid basis, then you'll feel the improvement with every mod and improve from there.
Old 09-10-10, 10:28 AM
kwg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Murvilboy
well should i learn the car first and then start modding it or should i just mod it first then learn the car? the carbon body panels arent priority i just wanted to cut down weight. well i really appreciate any help and does anyone know of any events in the southeastern part of the US?
experienced driver > modded car. no point in having a highly modified car if you cant push it to the limit.
Old 09-10-10, 11:41 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kwg
experienced driver > modded car. no point in having a highly modified car if you cant push it to the limit.
^^^this. I havent been drifting in a while, and dont ever plan on drifting my SC, but plainly said nothing beats experience. You can throw $10k+ on your SC with parts that are drift "specific", and without knowing how the car "feels", handles drives, its $10k of useless junk.

Your SC will drift with the stock 2J no problem, so keep it simple till you learn the car. Seat, LSD, coilovers. Pick up a set of stock/spare wheels, slap on some tires, find a place to practice practice practice. Once you get a feel for the car, its weight, how it responds to direction change, THEN worry about more power, bigger/longer drifts/ 70+mph entry speeds, etc.
Old 09-10-10, 12:19 PM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Staging break, coils and LSD. Get a GS diff and weld it. The stock SC diff is kinda weak.

Oh yeah get a clutch too. Stock clutch is very weak. Don't bother with LS brakes. Front brakes are more than enough just to drift.
Old 09-12-10, 11:28 AM
Murvilboy
Driver

ok kool well the car has the power now since it has the 1JZ in the car already. I got the stock 16s sittin off the side in a storage building with already baldish tires on it. any particular brand in clutches for the 1jz? i really appreciate the help guys.
Old 09-12-10, 01:55 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

if your on a budget I've been rockn them cheap f1 racing clutches on ebay. the stage 1 lasted me 3ish years of drift burnout abuse. I just recently upgraded to the stage 3 and it ant bad for dd.
Old 09-12-10, 02:05 PM
adl16v
Pole Position

sweet im currently setting mine up for touge
Old 09-13-10, 09:52 AM
Murvilboy
Driver

Originally Posted by topdog849
if your on a budget I've been rockn them cheap f1 racing clutches on ebay. the stage 1 lasted me 3ish years of drift burnout abuse. I just recently upgraded to the stage 3 and it ant bad for dd.
kool i may have to go that route. i def want some durability out of it.
Old 09-13-10, 10:16 AM
kwg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Murvilboy
kool i may have to go that route. i def want some durability out of it.
if youre on a budget, just pick up stuff as you go when you need it. fix it if its broken, replace it if it cant be fixed.
Old 09-13-10, 11:47 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by topdog849
Can anyone else vouch for these??

I can't believe I'm considering it but I need a clutch soo bad and Im super tight on loot.
Old 09-13-10, 01:34 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

no offense, a clutch is not a place I would skimp out on. besides if something does let go and it goes flying, where do you think its going to go?
Old 10-12-10, 05:58 AM
menty
Lead Lap

Any tips for a beginner in our heavy cars?
Ill be going to my first drift session on a wet skidpan.

Setup at the moment is
1JZGTE
Torsen LSD
JIC coilovers
Heavy duty clutch
LS400 BBK

Shall I simply power through it? Is clutch kicking bad?
Im worried I will lose it. People have to just slam on the brakes if I do? I have no ABS

Quick Reply: Drift setup for my SC300