SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Drift setup for my SC300

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 08:15 AM
Murvilboy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drift setup for my SC300

I bought my car with the intentions on sliding it and having fun driving. The car isnt setup for it now and I want to build it right the first time. So Im considering a CNC Staging Brake or Hydro E-Brake, LSD, Coilovers, some carbon body panels and LS400 Brakes. Would this be considered a decent setup or do I need to go back to the drawing board? Whats the difference in a staging brake and hydro e-brake or are they the same? Im a newb at this so bare with me guys. Any recommendations on companies that are good and where can I get those said parts? All comments/help are greatly appreciated.
Old 09-08-10, 08:43 AM
kwg
Lead Lap

Have you done any events yet? I'm a firm believer of learning to driver your car before major upgrades. Coilovers, lsd, and brakes is the ideal places to start.
Old 09-08-10, 10:03 AM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Murvilboy
I bought my car with the intentions on sliding it and having fun driving. The car isnt setup for it now and I want to build it right the first time. So Im considering a CNC Staging Brake or Hydro E-Brake, LSD, Coilovers, some carbon body panels and LS400 Brakes. Would this be considered a decent setup or do I need to go back to the drawing board? Whats the difference in a staging brake and hydro e-brake or are they the same? Im a newb at this so bare with me guys. Any recommendations on companies that are good and where can I get those said parts? All comments/help are greatly appreciated.
Screw the carbon boy panels. Pointless. Check your bushings and your steering. Find a pad, grab a cone and start doing donuts. Don't practice in the wet. Pick up Best Motoring's Drift Bible. Start reading. Practice. A good seat will do you some good. Get a set of crappy 17's and make friends with a used tire place. Practice.

Other than that you should be good. Start with a clutch kick and start rotating. Best of luck to you bro. It's easier said than done. Our cars are heavy but eventually you will get the hang of it. I would suggest picking up a set of Stance coilovers and adding the helper springs as well. Get your suspension sorted out. Bushings and all that good stuff. Stay away from a really beefy sway bar in the rear. If you really want an LSD, make sure it's a 2 way. Just get out there and practice. I don't think I said that yet. Oh don't forget a helmet.
The following users liked this post:
NYCsc300 (01-21-20)
Old 09-08-10, 10:07 AM
EastSC3
Driver

Hey man i just started sliding my SC300 this year. Like KWG said i tink the best things you need first are Coilovers, LSD plus a bucket seat. Just go to some events and practice and get used to it before you dump money. Theres no need for a hyd e brake, just get some good pads int the rear like projectmu. Really it all comes down to practice man.

For coilovers some good brands are:
$1000
-Powered by Max
-Stance
-BC Racing

For an LSD:
You can weld it if ur short budget or u can get
-ATS
-CUSCO
-KAAZ
-TRD

Honestly people ask why a bucket seat. Let me say drifting in those leathers seats suck. Your always slidin around in them. A bucket seat will keep you in your seat.

Im not a professional drifter, Im just letting you know what i know. Theres plenty of people here that know more then me, so hopefully they give there advice.

hope that helps
Old 09-08-10, 10:11 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Coilovers, Diff, bucket seat and your done. thats all you need to get started. once you get that done get a 1jz or some kind of forced induction and you will be fine.

if you plan at being competitive in the SC chassis you will need steering angle mods, S chassis even in stock form has more than a SC.
Old 09-08-10, 10:27 AM
d1trainee
Pole Position

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Save money and buy tires, then burn them off. The only thing you will need right away is a LSD or a welded diff. After that coilovers. To answer your question though a "staging brake" as you call it is called Roll control. Its for doing burnouts on the dragstrip and you will not gain a thing in the drifting world. As for the hydro ebrake, they are awsome however not for you right now. Tires, drift spare wheels, entry into events is money well spent
Old 09-08-10, 09:39 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive got the same setup on my whip, the only thing i would do different is add alot of camber in the front 2-3 degrees. rear camber isnt as important. and try unhooking the front sway bar and see if you like it. i did it on mine and love it. never understeers only oversteer meow
Old 09-09-10, 07:51 AM
Murvilboy
Driver

my car already has the 1jz installed. and thanks for the tips guys just looking for some help.
Old 09-09-10, 08:45 AM
Toastt
Pole Position

Dang, your considering some Formula D setup for being new at it lol
Old 09-09-10, 09:18 AM
drftsoarer
Driver

Originally Posted by Toastt
Not even close! You're on the right track. Coilovers and LSD are probably the most important and just build it up from there.
Old 09-09-10, 12:59 PM
ill roller
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by d1trainee
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Save money and buy tires, then burn them off. The only thing you will need right away is a LSD or a welded diff. After that coilovers. To answer your question though a "staging brake" as you call it is called Roll control. Its for doing burnouts on the dragstrip and you will not gain a thing in the drifting world. As for the hydro ebrake, they are awsome however not for you right now. Tires, drift spare wheels, entry into events is money well spent
I know plenty of people that use staging brakes for ebrakes. You just run the lines to the rear instead of the front.
Old 09-09-10, 12:59 PM
Murvilboy
Driver

Originally Posted by Toastt
well if im going to build it i wanna build it right the first time you know?
Old 09-09-10, 02:56 PM
d1trainee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ill roller
I know plenty of people that use staging brakes for ebrakes. You just run the lines to the rear instead of the front.
Id rather not have it and disable the ABS so when I slam on the brakes all 4 can lock when Im sideways for that long strait. plus why not just spend the
$1 for the "spin ****" mod and be done with it. Like I said money well spent on tires and event entry fees not roll controll and carbon doors. IMO

ILLRoller I followed your sc300 build on Ziptied before it was locked.
Old 09-09-10, 03:35 PM
ill roller
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by d1trainee
Id rather not have it and disable the ABS so when I slam on the brakes all 4 can lock when Im sideways for that long strait. plus why not just spend the
$1 for the "spin ****" mod and be done with it. Like I said money well spent on tires and event entry fees not roll controll and carbon doors. IMO

ILLRoller I followed your sc300 build on Ziptied before it was locked.
Why not have it and disable abs? There are plenty of occasions when locking all four isn't the solution. I have a spin **** for my ebrake, but I'm still planning on doing a hydro/staging brake because the stock ebrake doesn't lock hard or quick enough.

A diff and a working ebrake are pretty essential for learning to drift, and coilovers and a bucket help a ton... Beyond that and some angle mods nothing is necessary.
Old 09-09-10, 05:38 PM
d1trainee
Pole Position

Yea but like I said im still into spin **** with lsd and coils. Plus lots and lots of practice time. Im on the fence about roll control. If I wanted to mess with my hydro side of the ebrake. Id go for the regular hydro ebrake and not roll control. I guess different things work for different people.

Quick Reply: Drift setup for my SC300