transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-10, 11:08 AM
lslade
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default transmission fluid

Hello All...

I've read most of the posts on here regarding Type iv fluid, slowly changing it and so on and so forth.

I bought a 93 sc400 for cheap (great deal...had some issues...you know the story) and the transmission provides little to no forward movement.

I've read that some people have had luck in cleaning the filter/screen and replacing the fluid when this occurs, but I have a bit of a caveat...

I'm reasonably sure the guy i bought this car from changed the fluid and i'm not sure what he used. I'd like to swap it out for type iv and see how it goes.

Think this is a bad idea? The trans isn't really doing anything now, so what do i have to lose right?

Can i just drop the pan and drain it all then refil? What's the correct procedure?

Let me know please if you know!
Old 09-09-10, 11:20 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

How many miles are on the car? There are different view points....some say not to flush a high mileage transmission because it can loosen sludge etc and cause more issues, while others say the opposite. Seeing how your transmission sounds like it toast already you have nothing to lose really.

The issue here is you need to drive the car to get the fluid stored in the torque converter and the process you want to do takes some mileage and it sounds like the car wont drive. You could go an pick up a Mityvac system and flush it that way or get a new transmission, which is what I would opt for in this situation

Do it go into reverse, 1,2,3 etc?
Old 09-09-10, 12:17 PM
lslade
Driver School Candidate

it's the standard hold-a-gear-for-a-few-seconds problem then "neutral" behavior like a lot of people have.

I think i'm going to drain it and refil and see if i get anywhere...
Old 09-09-10, 12:31 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

could be the ecu
Old 09-09-10, 12:49 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Drain and refill, but don't power flush it like some places do. You don't want to shock the transmission.
Old 09-09-10, 12:50 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

easiest way to change the tranny fluid is just to unscrew the transmission pan bolt, and fill thru the dipstick... The only change is that it shift the gears smoother.

it's the standard hold-a-gear-for-a-few-seconds problem then "neutral" behavior like a lot of people have.

You might not have enough or too much fluid, happen to me.
Old 09-09-10, 08:13 PM
lslade
Driver School Candidate

Default update....

welp.

I drained the fluid, dropped and cleaned the pan, replaced the filter and refilled with some type 4 I purchased from the hot latina at the local toyota dealer (she may have been worth the 5.20 a quart).

Looks like it's working fine now. I don't think I'm ready to drive it to work yet, but maybe some promise. I think it may have be slightly overfilled from the previous owner, but not by much. I took 4.2 or .3 quarts out and put 4 back in.

It shifts pretty well now, normal I suppose though the kickdown seems a little sluggish to me. It's just not as sprightly as I'd figure, though I don't have much frame of reference. I am new to these cars.

I figure I'll drive it till I can't any more and go from there...

Thanks for your help all...if you're reading this with the same issue, this will probably fix it but from what I can extrapolate from other posters here it's probably going to be temporary. Who knows though, I'll pop an update on here when/if it fails.