SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Paint jobs

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 05:19 PM
magneti
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint jobs

got a 98 sc300 platinum metallic. paint is decent shape but it still would be nice to get it painted for reasonable price but its got a few dents, etc that bother the hell out of me.

certainly not dropping 5k on it but will probably keep it for a good while.

I suppose those maacos and factobakes are terrible?

How much for a good, not showroom paint job?
Old 09-13-10, 08:30 PM
ClearP
Lead Lap

Depending on where you live and who you go to, it makes a huge difference. you keeping the original color? why not take it to a good detailler to see if he can bring back the paint? also try contacting PDR for the dents.
Old 09-13-10, 09:30 PM
magneti
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ClearP
Depending on where you live and who you go to, it makes a huge difference. you keeping the original color? why not take it to a good detailler to see if he can bring back the paint? also try contacting PDR for the dents.
i was thinking of going black since it has the black leather. it has a lot of small dents is the main reason i was just going to go ahead and get it painted. but 4-5k isnt practical really.
Old 09-13-10, 09:41 PM
Nguyenx125
Driver

damnn im in the same boat. I want to change my gold 1gs into black, but I don't want to drop 4k+ on paint. I got a quote for 2500 removing all rubber seals and block sanding. But even 2500 is a little much. I just need basic and ok looking, not show room status. Was thinking around $1000-1500? Anyone know any places in oc/garden grove?

Oh yeah and I got a quote from maaco for 850 with jambs and everything I got only about 2 very minor dents on my 1gs.

Last edited by Nguyenx125; 09-13-10 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-13-10, 09:47 PM
magneti
Pole Position

its hard to find a middle ground. you bring it to the cheap chain shops theyll do such a terrible job with overspray while not sanding a thing it will be worse than before in the end.

i know friend of a friend who works at a nice local shop but wont touch it for less than 3.

i think most i wanna go is 2500 then i realize thats a nice start to na-t and dismiss the thought altogether. maybe ill get a cheapo job just for kicks.
Old 09-13-10, 10:21 PM
ClearP
Lead Lap

Trust me, you get what you pay for in paint jobs, usually I dont want to find out I made a mistake in the end.
Old 09-13-10, 11:00 PM
N00bie909
Lead Lap

Well that being the case I wouldn't go for any of those cheap paint will mess up your car in 2 years your clear coat will peal and if you want to repaint it you would have to strip it and start all over. If I were you guys I would do all the primer and body work myself then just leave it to the shop to shoot it.
Old 09-13-10, 11:33 PM
ClearP
Lead Lap

i know a few legit shops that will NOT accept any bodywork done by yourself, they simple wont be responsible for the outcome. I was told when it comes to paint jobs, prep is 90% of the job, spraying is the easy part.
Old 09-13-10, 11:51 PM
kwg
Lead Lap

i know a few legit shops that will NOT accept any bodywork done by yourself, they simple wont be responsible for the outcome. I was told when it comes to paint jobs, prep is 90% of the job, spraying is the easy part.
its all in the prep. i've had friends prep their own cars extensively and then take it to maaco to get it painted. overall the paint job looks great because he prepped it very well. if you plan to go that route pay for a few extra coats of clear.
Old 09-13-10, 11:54 PM
ClearP
Lead Lap

Yea, I'm sure Maaco would do it, but shops I've been to all said no, they wont do the paint job unless they personally prepped it themselves.

None the less, great tip! If you are bringing it to Maaco, prep it because I heard they don't even prep anything.
Old 09-14-10, 09:23 AM
Nguyenx125
Driver

Originally Posted by kwg
its all in the prep. i've had friends prep their own cars extensively and then take it to maaco to get it painted. overall the paint job looks great because he prepped it very well. if you plan to go that route pay for a few extra coats of clear.
How extensive of a prep? Like masking all rubbers? Removing trims or just sand blocking and primer? I got a neighbor that works at a newport beach auto collision center. He'll help me do prep. But we can't take it to his shop because they're strict and they're paint jobs are 5k+ lol
Old 09-14-10, 09:26 AM
magneti
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nguyenx125
How extensive of a prep? Like masking all rubbers? Removing trims or just sand blocking and primer? I got a neighbor that works at a newport beach auto collision center. He'll help me do prep. But we can't take it to his shop because they're strict and they're paint jobs are 5k+ lol
i guess this is what ill have to end up doing with the friend of a friend.

then find a shop with a reasonable price and good workmanship.

i do most any kind of work but hate anything associated with painting.

hate. it.
Old 09-14-10, 09:36 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can always wrap it in vinyl if your budget is around $1000-1500. There are tons
of vinyl shops on the West Coast. I believe we have a vendor in California too.
If you live on the East Coast I'd get you a quote
Old 09-15-10, 09:24 AM
Cablendz
Driver School Candidate

I got quoted by maaco for approx 1900 in new york.... My car is tan but i'm trying to do a midnight blue or black.. i'm moving to kentucky in a few weeks... Any place anyone might know to do the job even cheaper????
Old 09-15-10, 10:02 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

agreed

prep work is everything when it comes to painting

i do body work and a little painting myself and believe me it can backfire if not done properly

i painted the left side of my 01 civic a few months ago----now im doing it again this week--lack of prep and cutting corners to save money has came back to bite me in the back

do it once properly is the only way to go really

Quick Reply: Paint jobs