SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

JDM 1jz vs manual sc400 V8 con?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-10, 10:29 AM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ClearP
Does lightened flywheel make that much of a difference?
in all honesty on a 1uz not a whole lot. the 10lbs difference between the two does not effect the motor all that much. part of the reason we even offer the aluminum flywheel is because the steel is a modified stock flywheel, and it was something i didn't even want to do in the first place but people where asking me to do it after i reviled i knew how to. the aluminum came along more because i wanted to at least offer an original flywheel.

where the gains come into play. would be in a built motor specifically an na motor, for track use(tracks with turns), on a dyno i think the difference would be less then 5hp, but it would be the same difference across the power band. this is really hard to test for us, we have dynoed two 1uz manual cars on the same day and got much larger power differences just because the two cars where running differently,(tighter rings, looser barings, better, or worse injector spray patterns, coils in better or worse condition all come into play) and switching out the flywheel on the same car in the same day would be difficult because a morning run would yield more power then an afternoon run just due to the air temp.

from my experience, the aluminum flywheel allows the motor to free rev a lot quicker and smoother, this helps in downshifting, back to the built track motor, overall power on the butt dyno is about the same.

I have seen the effects a lot more on 4ags and b16s tho. so the effects exist but to a lesser degree.

Last edited by JakeBreyck; 09-15-10 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-15-10, 11:04 AM
kwg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gunner1
Hi,

i'm new to this forum, but not to cars or car forums.

i wanna start off by saying, RedPhoenix's site is one of the greatest things on the internet!! that and quantum-auto.com store. you guys are doing the Lord's work, as far as i'm concerned.

years ago, i thought someone should do a manual conversion to the lexus V8's. i was pleasantly surprised that AU/NZ guys have been doing it for years, but I wasn't about to go invest in a knowledge base in which I had to do metric conversions and parts I had to purchase from overseas international sources, and let's not even get into that shipping.

But I was happy to find I was not alone in my thinking!

I spent the last few months trying to decide what my next street/track project would be and I've become a big fan of the 1UZ.

I'm in the middle of rennovating my new house and making a nice spot to park my project car, so next year, I plan to get an SC400....

and I plan to rock the stock motor with a w58 conversion.

I'm not going to hate on 1JZ's...because I think they are good motors, but I
plan to track the car and I really, really want to stay away from a turbocharged motor at the local tracks here in SoCal.

All I want is an intake and a catback on the 1UZ. I plan to beat the hell out of it at track days/drift days, so I need to do as little as possible to get the power/weight I'm looking for. and if I blow one, i'll just go get another one for peanuts.
i would eventually love to rebuild one. a 1uz would look hot on an engine stand in my new garage.

I want it to pass smog and still have good power.

I say go V8.
It's way unique and under-appreciated. light and cheap
It's easy(stock) and reliable(n/a). the early ones are non-interference.
it's an oversquare, overbuilt, and beautiful sounding motor.

It's pimp.
whats wrong with a turbocharged motor at the socal tracks? is there anyone youre talking about specifically? buttonwillow, streets, big willow?
Old 09-15-10, 01:05 PM
Gunner1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kwg
whats wrong with a turbocharged motor at the socal tracks? is there anyone youre talking about specifically? buttonwillow, streets, big willow?
all those tracks.

no gripes with turbo-powered cars in general. i love 'em, but i just personally dont want to deal with them at this particular time in my life. the heat, complexity, or the power delivery. someday i may decide to drop it all and go buy an evo or wrx, but i just met this older cougar of a motor and would like to see where it goes normally aspirated.

it's no easy, bulletproof miata motor to work on, i understand, but i decided i wanna learn all there is about the 1uz. and like anything, if you spend enough time practicing on it, you eventually become a pro.
Old 09-15-10, 01:36 PM
Gunner1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
haha I just weighed it, its 19lbs and 1oz, you win lol
19 lbs works for me. definite bang 4 buck.

what are stock flywheels for SC300's and supra's? i'm guessing 30ish?
Old 09-15-10, 05:10 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

19 lbs works for me. definite bang 4 buck.

what are stock flywheels for SC300's and supra's? i'm guessing 30ish?
I read 34lbs somewhere which is insane, but that's just read-say.
Old 09-15-10, 05:16 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Little google action... stock 7m flywheel is 22-23lbs, 2jzge flywheel is over 30lbs. If anyone can confirm this, I would be happy.
Old 09-15-10, 06:49 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

wow on that 2jz flywheel weight, i would have never guessed.
Old 09-15-10, 06:52 PM
kwg
Lead Lap

all those tracks.

no gripes with turbo-powered cars in general. i love 'em, but i just personally dont want to deal with them at this particular time in my life. the heat, complexity, or the power delivery. someday i may decide to drop it all and go buy an evo or wrx, but i just met this older cougar of a motor and would like to see where it goes normally aspirated.

it's no easy, bulletproof miata motor to work on, i understand, but i decided i wanna learn all there is about the 1uz. and like anything, if you spend enough time practicing on it, you eventually become a pro.
1uz n/a eh? you should take a look at the "OBX ITB's" thread in the performance section
Old 09-15-10, 07:02 PM
ClearP
Lead Lap

I wonder how much of a response difference would a lighten flywheel have?
Old 09-15-10, 09:59 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ClearP
I wonder how much of a response difference would a lighten flywheel have?
Um i wrote a whole book about that in reply to you at the top of this page.
Old 09-16-10, 12:57 AM
Gunner1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kwg
1uz n/a eh? you should take a look at the "OBX ITB's" thread in the performance section
Lol. No irtb dreams for me. i dont love the 1uz THAT much. I just think it's a great unknown motor with this cult following.
i dig it.
You start running into some deminishing returns when investing that much cash into a 20 year old engine design. At some point, I'd be better off buying a used G37.
Now THAT'S a car with a nice motor.

A big reason why I like the 1uz is because I'd be happy with the power level STOCK. Prolly dyno's in the 220's on a dynojet with an intake and a catback. has enough torque to spin the tires a bit.

And after replacing the heavy auto tranny, heavy hood, heavy seats, heavy exhaust, rims, and maybe cutting a chunk out of those heavy *** doors...i'm thinking you can get the power to weight down to something that can keep up with a 350Z from a few years ago.

370Z is a new beast. I wont even go there.
Old 09-16-10, 03:50 AM
510sc
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Mann u hella lucky 1100$ he'll of deal I went to a shop 2day for price check on 1jz they old 1750 Nd that's widout the tranny...I say you go with tue 1jz for $1100 yeahhhhhhhh
Old 09-16-10, 05:57 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Little google action... stock 7m flywheel is 22-23lbs, 2jzge flywheel is over 30lbs. If anyone can confirm this, I would be happy.
17lbs on the scale right here.

Fidanzas are usually what, like 13lbs...that's a good mix of inertia and stored energy and it also allows you to rev faster and it's easier on your drivetrain..can't beat that.

As soon as you let off the gas with an 8-10lbs flywheel the engine RPM drops instantly and the car slows down. In a road car this causes surging and bucking at cruise speeds and poor driveability and clutch engagement. In a racecar this works since you are up in the revs the entire time...unless you miss a gear then you loose momentum.

Last edited by RyanV; 09-16-10 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-16-10, 06:22 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't mind having an 98-00' SC400 with the W58 for a daily driver. I wouldn't take it over my 1JZ if I had to choose one or the other though.
Old 09-16-10, 01:06 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

^ yea that would be a dream for me. Unlikely to happen unless someone figures out an affordable/economical way of doing this. From what I've researched so far it takes a lot of money to get rid of CEL's and various other problems.

Quick Reply: JDM 1jz vs manual sc400 V8 con?