Instrument panel dimmer switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-10, 02:28 PM
rcftx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument panel dimmer switch

Hi all,

I have a 1993 Lexus SC 400 which I purchased new. It has 85000 miles on it and I have taken good care of it, however after having my instrument cluster needles and bulbs replaced by Lextech in May, I noticed the entire panel has gone dim to the point where I can hardly see the gauges. I am wondering if my instrument panel dimmer switch which is not working is the problem. Does anyone have experience with this and what is the quick fix?

Regards,

rcftx
Old 09-17-10, 02:32 PM
rcftx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more on cluster gauge lights

Originally Posted by rcftx
Hi all,

I have a 1993 Lexus SC 400 which I purchased new. It has 85000 miles on it and I have taken good care of it, however after having my instrument cluster needles and bulbs replaced by Lextech in May, I noticed the entire panel has gone dim to the point where I can hardly see the gauges. I am wondering if my instrument panel dimmer switch which is not working is the problem. Does anyone have experience with this and what is the quick fix?

Regards,

rcftx
The cluster gauge fix was done in May. Lextech put in new needles and backlight bulbs. After it was installed it appeared to be working fine. The instrument panel dimmer switch from what I recall worked fine. It would dimm the instrument cluster as you rotated the dimmer switch. After 3 1/2 months I noticed the cluster lighting lost its vibrancy and just went very Dim to the point you can hardly see it. Adjusting the instrument panel dimmer switch does nothing to readjust the lighting ...it just stays very dim. I figured maybe it was the electronics in the dimmer switch and took it out to look at the capacitors etc. I have not noticed anything that looks burned out but I am not very knowledgeable about electronics. The capacitors appear normal and not puffed out. I figure maybe I should try to get a used dimmer switch to test if that may be the problem. Unless someone has had the same experience that will be my next step.

rcftx
Old 09-17-10, 03:14 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

That's pretty unusual. I personally haven't seen anything like that happen. You may want to contact O.L.T./Lextech and see if they have a solution.
Old 09-17-10, 05:46 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i have the dimmer switch assembly, 20 shipped if you need it