SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rain Leak'in in..Can't find it!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-03, 02:14 PM
Blown SC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another little problem that can occur is if you have a rear wiper washer,,the washer hose can come loose,as there is a join in the rear area,,,and as you go to wash with th ewiper,,it will dribble water onto the back seat area and run down onto the floor..I am unsure if the US Version runs this hose up your passenger side ??? The Jap version runs it up your drivers side...
Food for thought ?
Old 11-03-03, 03:03 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the carpet is wet on the bottoms of the door panels, I would first check the window seals to be sure they're in good shape. Even if they are, water can still get past them, so most doors are fitted with drains to allow water and condensation to drain out. If the drain is plugged, the door will fill up until the water finds its way out, usually through one of the clip holes that hold the panel on. It's important to fix it, so the doors won't rust out from the inside from standing water. I don't know exactly where the drains are in these doors (the repair manual doesn't show them) but you should be able to find them by lying under the door when it's open. Once you find the drain, probe it with a tool or a wire to see if it's blocked.
Old 11-27-08, 08:24 PM
scoarer400
Driver

so have we found a fix for this problem yet?
Old 11-27-08, 08:49 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Whadda ya mean a fix yet..... replace the old *** rubber seals! It's almost always the sunroof seal (reveals itself for sure if you have wind noise up there, but that's just a helpful clue) combined with the need to clean the drains. Secondly, the door seals, less likely, but very possible. Either way these cars are 15 yrs old. Everyone on here has heard me preach about replacing ALL the rubber on the car.
Old 11-28-08, 06:03 AM
davidv433
Lead Lap

one way to check , you need a friend to help with this. grab a water hose and spray the outside of the car where you think the water is coming from.

Remove any panels that are around the area where you think the water is coming from so you can try to pinpoint it. Start spraying, if you can find a friend to help you, lay the hose on top of your car and let the water run off to the area where you think the leak is coming from. It's best to remove any kind of sprayer from the end of the hose and just let water come out of the hose. Hope this helps
Old 11-28-08, 08:54 AM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Check those sunroof drain hoses for blockage by running some thin weed eater line to clear/clean the the drain lines. Like someone said the drain hose(s) may have come unattached or perhaps the hose itself may have a leak.BTW do not plug factory drain holes in the bottom of your doors, the water that drains off your windows down your doors has to drain out somewhere people.
Old 11-28-08, 10:53 AM
blakeyBOY
Rookie

you have to replace the outer window squeegee. take off the door panel and you should see a big piece of plastic with that rubber goop all around the edges keeping it on the door. you might have to replace that plastic or replace the goop. then take a water hose or something and spray water on the window from the outside(while door panel is off) and you can see the water hit the plastic sheet. shouldnt be leaking after you replace it.
Old 12-14-08, 11:47 PM

my passeger side gets wet.... ucklllyyyy smell... and alwase mosting... and i find water near the rear passenger panel.... right where 2 panels connects near the chairs.... help? im guessing sunroof?
Old 12-15-08, 01:17 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have become the leak fix king on my car so I will let you know what I did. Most of the water problem you are having is coming from inside the door. The are multiple places it can be leaking but these are the most common.

The first thing you need to do is remove the door panel. Takes about five minute. The most common leaking area is the factory "rain" cover that is attached to the door with a 3M type adhesive. Over the years the adhesive starts to not stick very well and will leak in spots. I'd recommend tearing it off and replacing with a piece of deadening material. Second place that will leak is the two nlyon plugs in the door that the two large screws that hold the door panel on with. They have a thin rubber gasket between the plug and the door panel. Mine had crystalized over the years and I was getting some water from there on heavy down pours. I used some 3M adhesive to replace the gasket with and it worked great. Now, the most common area for the door to leak is were the wiring harness goes through the rectangular piece of plastic by the door speaker. There is a foam gasket the wraps around the wiring in the plastic that deteriorates over the years and allows water to pass through the plastic. This is where my worst leak was. Again I used some 3M adhesive to seal the area and haven't had any other leaks. Here's pic of the inside of my panel.

The weather stripping on the front of the door can make a difference but I never had any leaks coming from there on both SC's I owned.

Shane

Last edited by SSmith; 01-20-09 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-15-08, 01:20 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Another pic of the door. The white plastic is where the wiring harness goes through and is probably causing most of your water problems.

Shane

Last edited by SSmith; 01-20-09 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-15-08, 01:36 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Hey SSmith thks for posting info/pics. I've got a question. How do you like the install of the Dynamat over the use of the OEM clear plastic, including the install of it behind the speakers on the door? Does using the Dynamat help control sound coming from the door during closing? Does the doorspeakers sound better as well? Is it a PITA to remove when working on the window or door locks?
Old 12-15-08, 03:01 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Dynamatting over the opening helped a lot on road noise coming from the door. I did the inside of the door also as the stock door enclosure was cut and modified for the Morel 6 1/2. Door is a lot more solid. As far as getting into it if something happens, that as easy as an xacto blade.

My doors sound very good. I've got 300 watts going to each door from a JL Audio 600/4. Install pics are here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...rsion-2-a.html

Car is playing right now but i need to update the install thread.

Shane
Old 11-21-11, 07:27 PM
dogwisper
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My water went away when I took off the door panel and saw the plastic film that covers the cables and regulator opening was not put back properly after a previous repair. Since those door handle clips, regulators, lock actuators all go bad in the life of these cars chances are it has been opened before and they didn't take the time to replace that plastic sheeting properly. If fixed the plastic sheeting and no more wet carpet.