SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rain Leak'in in..Can't find it!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-02, 06:16 AM
krypto
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain Leak'in in..Can't find it!!!!

On my passenger side door that bottom carpet piece, always gets stained. Must be water leaking in from somewhere. I clean it, few days later stained again.

I can't figure out where it's getting in. I know that my sun roof might leak, it makes a slight whistling noise, when I slide the cover back. Hmmmmm.....I just can't think that it could be traveling all the way from the sunroof to the bottom of the door.

Any ideas? Thanks
Old 07-18-02, 07:42 PM
krypto
Driver

k....I'll re-phrase...(this problem is drivin me nuts)

Does anybody else have a slight wind noise coming from the sunroof? more than other cars?

If so, any signs of water gettin in? anywhere?

I got no signs of leaks anywhere around the sunroof...

hmmmm...just had a thought..is there a hole that water could go down .......from the side mirror? (sometimes mine scews out a bit..)
Old 07-18-02, 08:02 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similiar problem but on my drivers side. What happened is that there is a hose in the headliner that acts a bridge for water to run out. In my case, the hose was disconnected and the water ended up running down the A pillar to the carpet piece next to the door on the floor. Sometimes the region pictured would also get wet, but not all the time.

To fix it, I had to remove this section of the headliner and reconnect the hose. Maybe their is another one of these bridges on the other side (it would make sense)

As for the sunroof whistling, its normal. Their are several threads on how to fix it (you have to remove the glass though). In my opinion, water is probably not leaking through because of that.

I hope that fixes your problem, tell us if it does or doesn't.

nick
Attached Thumbnails Rain Leak'in in..Can't find it!!!!-area.jpg  
Old 07-19-02, 06:27 AM
krypto
Driver

thanks Nick...Just what I needed..Questions: do I remove the headliner piece closest to the windshield? Or the other one, the one around the sunroof? These pieces just 'snap' out?

Thanks again....
Old 07-19-02, 06:45 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, i have the whistling noise but no leaking. Hope u get it fixed. As for the panels, yes, i would assume that they do pop out b/c all the other ones do (but don't count on me 100% b/c i have never removed the headlining)
Old 07-19-02, 09:35 AM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

you would remove the part closest to the windshield.

If I remember correctly, the headliner will pop off but you will have to struggle with it. Sorry I can't be of more help, it's been more than 2 years since I did it.
Old 07-19-02, 11:54 AM
krypto
Driver

thanks man, most helpful
Old 05-03-03, 07:17 PM
white93
Rookie

Default water leak

Krypto,

I'm having the same problem as you had, or having with the water leak. How did you fix it?

Thanks for any help.

White93
Old 07-03-03, 11:11 AM
LexusBiz
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hell All,

I'v had the same problem for a while now. Damp carpets under mats, and up along carpet leading to door jam. The small carpet piece on the door panel (under speaker) is wet and stained as well.

I have tried everyhthing. Looking under car and plugging up any small holes. Checked door jams, not leaking from there either. Looked at sunroof runoff hose, all in place and looking good.

What else could it be, any other suggestions. Both driver and passenger side is wet, and even the rear driver and passenger as well is slightly damp.

This problem is driving me crazy, everytime I get in the car its a swampy, smelly, and nasty. Not to mention this year our area has been receiving rain almost everyday, so the situation is getting bad.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
LexusBiz
Old 07-04-03, 05:05 AM
Blown SC
Rookie

Remove your door trim..and you will see it has a plastic cover in there.....then look down the bottom of the door and you will see a small opening closer to the rear..water will come through this small bit..it is not on the underside,,but on the door inner cover ??? hard to explain without a pic ???Email Manny from here in Aus and he has a pic....I will see him on the weekend and ask him to put it up....
So who knows were the thread is on the Sunroof wistleing fix ???Thanks..
Old 07-04-03, 06:12 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Who about ???

I had a question about my windows after it rains... After it rains and say the sun comes out and dries off the windows. But when I role the window down and back up there is quite a bit of water back on the window from where the window went down into the door, How can I stop the water from going down in the door like this ?? I looked at the seals and they don't seem to be bad or anything, is this a problem that can be fixed or ???

Thanx all for your time

Shawn
Old 07-05-03, 07:29 AM
1pacoson
Driver School Candidate

I found on my car that if I rolled the window down all the way and looked at the outer rubber
squeegie that it was torn where the screws mount it to the door.

water was leaking in here!
Old 07-05-03, 02:33 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

yes you can replace all of that rubber trim around the window, this will help!

CEO
Old 07-11-03, 10:17 AM
LexusBiz
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Asnatlas (Shawn),

Did you replace the window rubber squeege piece at the bottom of your window? If you replaced it, did it stop the water from seeping in?

Thanks BlownSC for the info, I'll remove my door panel and take a look for that plastic piece.

We got a severe storm here (Washington, DC area) last night while my car was parked outside. The carpets were all damp this morning, every piece of it, under the door speakers, under drivers mat, under passengers mat, both back seat mats as well. I did not drive the car yesterday in the rain, so the rain had to leak in from somewhere around the window frame and not from underneath the car. It just seems odd that so much water could be trickling down through the window.

Guess my other solution would be to move somewhere dry

Thanks All for any info
LexusBiz
Old 11-03-03, 01:57 PM
teke52
Driver

Default Same stuff!

Hi All,

I am experiencing the same problem...soaking wet lower carpet on the passenger door, but the driver side is dry as can be. I have checked everything I can without taking the panel off...the panel is gonna come off this weekend as it is driving me nutz! Did anyone ever find out the cause for these kind of wet spots? If so, I'd love to know what can be done to stop this from happening. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Rain Leak'in in..Can't find it!!!!