SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-02, 08:56 AM
dpakman91
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing

Does anybody know where I can find a good, comprehensive guide to detailing my SC300? I have looked around and can really only find places with detailing products.
Old 07-18-02, 09:03 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best one by far

http://autopia-carport.com/forums/index.php
Old 07-21-02, 07:45 PM
dpakman91
Pole Position

thanks, that is just loads of information, definitely more than you need to figure out the best products to use.
Old 07-22-02, 12:23 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think you should get it detailed at a shop
Old 07-22-02, 02:43 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

well, i wouldnt be so quick to jump to the conclusion to just goto a shop. alot of detailing shop don't know what they are doing. or may not neccessarily treat your car the way you would treat it yourself.

check out the forum. it has a wealth of knowledge and not only professional detailers but people in the industry for decades and also even people who invented the products that we use today.

its IMHO, that once you are really good and get the proper products, you can do a better job than 95% of the detailing shops out there. Only you care about ur vehicle that much. For others, it's just a business and a way to make $. They'll only care as much as they profit would allow them.
Old 07-22-02, 03:19 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

oops didnt know that... please ignore my prev. post.. see im a rookie!
Old 07-22-02, 07:50 PM
dpakman91
Pole Position

Default Legends6spd

Knowing what you seem to know about detailing, the biggest reason why i sometims wanna give up and bring it to a shop is that i can't get the dirt out of lots of places. since i got the car nad it had been sitting for a while, there is dust in smalls spaces around in the dash, around hte climate control panel, in the vents, even aroudn the shifter area. i just dont know how to get in there. i don't know what to use to get in there either. any help would be great.
Old 07-23-02, 03:36 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Interior wise, do it yourself... Some places are so cheap they use plastic/vinyl cleaner on your leather.....
Old 07-23-02, 05:35 PM
strongsail
Instructor

You should be able to get all the little crevices clean with a soft detailing brush - I found mine at GI Joe's in Seattle, you can prolly find em at Pep Boys or Schuck's. If not, go to Home Depot and buy a "throwaway" paint brush, 1" or 1-1/2" wide - 39 cents! The bristles may be a little soft, just shorten em with scissors.

Also while you're at Home Depot, look for a set of vacuum cleaner attachments that are designed for cleaning computer keyboards, go to CompUSA they have em for sure, attach the little brushes to a shop vac and suck them grubbies away...

(whoo - sounds like fun)
Old 07-23-02, 05:42 PM
strongsail
Instructor

I also gotta say that detailing is a skill, yeah, but it is also an *obsession* - the autopia site is proof of that - I admit it I am a neatfreak, and I get great pleasure from keeping my SC spotless, even though I'm just entering the claybar learning curve and looking forward to it. If you find it drudgery, fcukit, life's too short, talk to local car club folks in your area and find a detail shop with a good rep. You may go crazy doing the stuff I enjoy, aint life great everybodys different - -
Old 07-23-02, 05:49 PM
strongsail
Instructor

boy - the memories come back -

I remember a guy I worked with years ago, had a new rx7, took it to a detailer and they managed to spill touchup paint on his console...

So what was an open tube of touchup paint doing inside the car? Who knows?

Morons.

Then they gave him a load of grief when he wanted the console replaced because they did such a crappy job of cleaning it up...

If you want it done Right, Do It Yourself...

and the obsession begins...
Old 07-23-02, 08:22 PM
kb2yza
Pole Position

All good info here I have a set of dem computer things and never though of using them for the car. Must not be the sharpest crayon in the box anymore. ohwell

strongsail you trying to get your posts up or somthing JK but that is a lot of posts in one thread with no one inbetween
Old 07-23-02, 08:43 PM
strongsail
Instructor

yeah I know it looks weird but Im not tryin to run up the posts, think Im gonna become a paid member so I can change the title to "human being" or somethin - - I just write something, post it and go Dang, I forgot! and type and post before I forget, then Dang, need to say something else, blah blah blah - -

short attention span, the beginning of dementia, who knows
Old 07-23-02, 09:17 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Hey SC400 I just wanted to compliment you on ur car, I think that has to be the best looking SC IMO..

ShOwGS
Old 07-24-02, 12:14 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

thanks bro, can't wait till I get the rear lip for the 1st gens.

Quick Reply: Detailing