SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

PROS vs CONS of going turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-10, 04:17 AM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo or swap nonsense is for hobbyists that are willing to spend half of their life in the garage for no money. If you are regular bloke best invest your money in gold instead of used rotating machinery.
Old 09-24-10, 07:08 AM
d1trainee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say do a swap. Turbo v8 is always awesome but it's expensive. If you swap a 2jz in there are way more parts available for forced induction and alot more info on it. Also think about fabrication isssues with the 1uz. Alot of people I've seen weld their own manifolds and stuff. Swap in a 2jzgte and single turbo it. If you want to keep the v8 I'd supercharge it as it is "easier" on the engine with it's progressive engine loading.
Old 09-24-10, 08:04 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by EUROJulian
Turbo or swap nonsense is for hobbyists that are willing to spend half of their life in the garage for no money. If you are regular bloke best invest your money in gold instead of used rotating machinery.
I am pretty sure this guy is not asking for investment alternatives...
Old 09-24-10, 09:33 AM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Thanks Benstoked and everyone.

I did look at some of the other threads but they couldnt specificlaly answer some of the questions I had.

Like is it wise to turbo an older engine----and what sort of upgrades would I need to do before adding a turbo.

Also I cant seem to find a str8 answer on how much it would cost to put on a decent turbo----some threads have people saying a thousand dollars...others are saying up to $5000?

Anyways ill be in here and searching and im sure between the two I will find the info I need.

Thanks again guys
OK to give you a straight answer, It is ok to boost older engines as long as you do it right and you only give it a moderate amount of boost. As long as your air/fuel mixture is perfect and you run no more then 10ish psi, it'll be fine.

DO NOT do a 2jz engine swap (sorry sc300 guys, I still love you too). The 1uz is actualy a much more well built engine but yes there arent as many aftermarket parts for them. The problem with the 2jz swap is that you will end up spending more money in the long run and end up with the 2jz-ge which is actualy less capable of handling higher psi than the 1uz.
BTW, this does not mean that the 2jz-ge (not 2jz-gte) is a bad engine, its just not as good as the 1uz.

I know a turbo sounds like a great idea but to be honest, its not just a bolt on and go, kind of system. It requires a lot of time money and dedication. And even after the whole thing is installed, you still have to constantly tune it.

Honestly, start with other thing first like intake and exhaust then after that go on the internet and read, read, read, read, read, read, read.
Old 09-24-10, 10:58 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MattStarr
DO NOT do a 2jz engine swap (sorry sc300 guys, I still love you too). The 1uz is actualy a much more well built engine but yes there arent as many aftermarket parts for them. The problem with the 2jz swap is that you will end up spending more money in the long run and end up with the 2jz-ge which is actualy less capable of handling higher psi than the 1uz.
Yeah have to disagree with you on the GE handling higher PSI. Boost pressures north of 40PSI is low? Bottom line, you'll never max out a 2j for a street car. Never.
Old 09-24-10, 12:25 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I am pretty sure this guy is not asking for investment alternatives...
Your point?
Old 09-24-10, 02:31 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Klaus
Yeah have to disagree with you on the GE handling higher PSI. Boost pressures north of 40PSI is low? Bottom line, you'll never max out a 2j for a street car. Never.
well, yes if you replace the pistons, otherwise you'd be running such a high compression ratio your engine would just explode. Mind you Im just basing my thoughts on common engine knowledge. Im not that familiar with the n/a 2jz, Im more of a 1uz junkie, so my appologies if im just talking out my a**.

Anyways, you can send 40psi to the 1uz too if you replaced the pistons.
Old 09-24-10, 03:18 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by MattStarr
well, yes if you replace the pistons, otherwise you'd be running such a high compression ratio your engine would just explode. Mind you Im just basing my thoughts on common engine knowledge. Im not that familiar with the n/a 2jz, Im more of a 1uz junkie, so my appologies if im just talking out my a**.

Anyways, you can send 40psi to the 1uz too if you replaced the pistons.
Oh okay fair enough, if we're talking stock for stock you're probably right. However, just swapping the HG on a GE (cake on an I6) to a GTE headgasket drops the compression down to around 9.1:1 which can hold about 17psi on pump. The stock pistons and rods are good for plenty of power passed that as long as you have the right fuel
Old 09-24-10, 03:43 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to sound like a douche but if your asking this many questions, boosting isn't for you.
Old 09-24-10, 03:46 PM
Klaus
Instructor

^ Which is why I recommend that Book. PLEASE take my advice and read that cover to cover. You'll learn so much
Old 09-24-10, 03:49 PM
sc4doubleO
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are planing to boost the 1uz using a turbo you really have to love it because its not cheap. I got a quote to build two manifold to a single turbo at a local shop for $1600 stainless steel down pipe would be another $200. Turbo would be about $800 brand new (might find it cheaper used). charge pipes will be around $350. Intercooler about $200. Waste gate and bov about $400. Add another $500 for oil lines, vacuum lines, nuts bolts, fittings, fluids, etc. Now the real problem is that all those prices are for parts only. But the good news is that your 93 has stronger rods according to lextreme which is a real good thing.

Old 09-24-10, 07:16 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

klaus thanks for the reference to that book--that is exactly what i need

something to teach me about this topic from the ground up.

Thanks again everyone ive learned quite a bit here-----good starting point.

And coolal yes the 93 rods look like there twice the size of the others---------very interesting. I am confident in my engine----it is very strong and I think it is still pretty young at 140 000+kilometres. But im going to do my homework before doing ANYTHING at all to the engine.

Thanks again everyone----everyone except VIETUNIT of course.

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 09-24-10 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-24-10, 07:29 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by coolal
If you are planing to boost the 1uz using a turbo you really have to love it because its not cheap. I got a quote to build two manifold to a single turbo at a local shop for $1600 stainless steel down pipe would be another $200. Turbo would be about $800 brand new (might find it cheaper used). charge pipes will be around $350. Intercooler about $200. Waste gate and bov about $400. Add another $500 for oil lines, vacuum lines, nuts bolts, fittings, fluids, etc. Now the real problem is that all those prices are for parts only. But the good news is that your 93 has stronger rods according to lextreme which is a real good thing.

coolal hopefull that cost can be cut down a bit by sourcing out some good used parts----and maybe a little fabricating and resourcefulness.

My mechanic is also a good guy--------he would do his best to keep the cost to a minimum-----also I would be able to lend him a hand and learn a few things---be a part of the whole process.

Thanks
Old 09-24-10, 11:07 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

From experience, I dont think 5k would do it. You will need at least 7k, an excellent mechanic, and a lot of patience.

My budget was 6k for my v8 project.....so much for that, I must of went pass my budget a couple of times and it is still not running yet...
Old 09-24-10, 11:50 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by One HoT
From experience, I dont think 5k would do it. You will need at least 7k, an excellent mechanic, and a lot of patience.

My budget was 6k for my v8 project.....so much for that, I must of went pass my budget a couple of times and it is still not running yet...
Man that sounds a bit scary----over 6 k and still not running?

I hope it works out for you

Good luck

Quick Reply: PROS vs CONS of going turbo