SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

PROS vs CONS of going turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-10, 09:01 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well to the OP good luck on the build if you do go with it.
My .02 on swapping out for a 2jz-gte and then go single. IF you were to do that well it would be almost of not as expensive as boosting a V8. 2jz-gte 1.5k-3k (USDM VS JDM and maybe transmission, ecu, harness will be included so an extra cost if you need to source out what is missing) going single 1.5k-6k (Shopping around or just ordering everything) if you get a big turbo you will need fuel mods so lets say for about 600hp 1k-2k for everything. Some type of tuning device as well let's say 300-1.5k for the hardware and a few hundred for tuning. When you add in all the labor time and all the parts and with wishful thinking I would be looking into boosting my V8.

The V8 has the issue that the manifolds for the turbo would be hard to find or expensive because they are rare or custom made. I am pretty sure that it would cost less then a 2jz-gte and maybe cheaper then a 1jz. That is just the price of the engine not adding in the cost of the swap. Then the price of going single on the 1jz/2jz that can be applied to the cost of the turbo parts on the v8. Tuning on both and intercooler kit on both and so on.. So they both have their cost and more if you are paying someone else to do the work for you and not only do the work but have them understand/learn what's going on.

Yes the peak HP on both are going to be different but the torque on the V8 is going to be greater then the 2jz. So when you add in all the factors they both add up even in a perfect purchase on the swap.
Old 09-25-10, 10:55 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by TLDriver
Well to the OP good luck on the build if you do go with it.
My .02 on swapping out for a 2jz-gte and then go single. IF you were to do that well it would be almost of not as expensive as boosting a V8. 2jz-gte 1.5k-3k (USDM VS JDM and maybe transmission, ecu, harness will be included so an extra cost if you need to source out what is missing) going single 1.5k-6k (Shopping around or just ordering everything) if you get a big turbo you will need fuel mods so lets say for about 600hp 1k-2k for everything. Some type of tuning device as well let's say 300-1.5k for the hardware and a few hundred for tuning. When you add in all the labor time and all the parts and with wishful thinking I would be looking into boosting my V8.

The V8 has the issue that the manifolds for the turbo would be hard to find or expensive because they are rare or custom made. I am pretty sure that it would cost less then a 2jz-gte and maybe cheaper then a 1jz. That is just the price of the engine not adding in the cost of the swap. Then the price of going single on the 1jz/2jz that can be applied to the cost of the turbo parts on the v8. Tuning on both and intercooler kit on both and so on.. So they both have their cost and more if you are paying someone else to do the work for you and not only do the work but have them understand/learn what's going on.

Yes the peak HP on both are going to be different but the torque on the V8 is going to be greater then the 2jz. So when you add in all the factors they both add up even in a perfect purchase on the swap.

Thanks TLDRIVER.

Although everyone tells me it is harder to boost the v8 and harder to source out parts I only believe in swapping the engine if it is necessary or if you just have alot of money on your hands to throw around.

Also I really love the 1uz-------ive heard so many good things about it ever since the 90's and I have a lot of faith in its strength, durability and reliability.

It really is one of my favourite engines-----all I ever hear is great things about it.

The good thing is I am in no rush at all to get this----I can take my time----learn-----and start sourcing out parts without feeling like I need to jump on the first turbo i see.

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-25-10, 11:06 AM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can SUPERCHARGE the V8 for around $3500. BUT, I'd recommend that before you boost your SC400, you consider, selling your good shape SC, and getting an SC that's aready boosted. It'll be WAY faster timeline wise, and honestly, prolly cheaper.

Jeff
Old 09-25-10, 11:14 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jtamulis
You can SUPERCHARGE the V8 for around $3500. BUT, I'd recommend that before you boost your SC400, you consider, selling your good shape SC, and getting an SC that's aready boosted. It'll be WAY faster timeline wise, and honestly, prolly cheaper.

Jeff
3500---supercharger------interesting-------

About your other point----- I dont believe in buying other peoples projects----and to buy a car that has already been modded----you know forsure the guy has been driving it hard------you could be setting yourself up for some real issues down the road.

My car was driven by an older gent for the first ten years of its life-----hardly any miles put on per year-----the second owner was a mechanic who used it as a DD and was proactive with the maintenance------I am the third owner and so far I have pretty much babied the car.

At least I know my engine and car and know the history---pretty much------personally I am totally against buying a car with a swapped engine and a whole bunch of mods------you dont know what the heck your really getting.

He could of used and abused it and now wants to dump it on you---the car along with a long list of pending problems.

Thanks man
Old 09-25-10, 01:44 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

swap it then boost
Old 09-25-10, 07:01 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
3500---supercharger------interesting-------

About your other point----- I dont believe in buying other peoples projects----and to buy a car that has already been modded----you know forsure the guy has been driving it hard------you could be setting yourself up for some real issues down the road.

My car was driven by an older gent for the first ten years of its life-----hardly any miles put on per year-----the second owner was a mechanic who used it as a DD and was proactive with the maintenance------I am the third owner and so far I have pretty much babied the car.

At least I know my engine and car and know the history---pretty much------personally I am totally against buying a car with a swapped engine and a whole bunch of mods------you dont know what the heck your really getting.

He could of used and abused it and now wants to dump it on you---the car along with a long list of pending problems.

Thanks man
Supercharging is deffinately the way to go for sc400. theres actualy a company in Australia that makes a kit for $1100 USD that allows the direct bolt on with the Eaton M90 Ford supercharger. You can find the supercharger itself for $400 USD used. Ill try to find the link for that company for you.
Old 09-25-10, 07:14 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MattStarr
Supercharging is deffinately the way to go for sc400. theres actualy a company in Australia that makes a kit for $1100 USD that allows the direct bolt on with the Eaton M90 Ford supercharger. You can find the supercharger itself for $400 USD used. Ill try to find the link for that company for you.
Mattstar thats fantastic------looking forward to it.

Those are more my kind of numbers lol.
Old 09-25-10, 08:52 PM
RED95sc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1

I dont know why it is so difficult to boost the v8.
there is barley any room, so a lot more customizing has to done, which cost a lot more. thats why most people with 400s swap it for 1/2jzgte.
Old 09-25-10, 09:33 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

I REALLY want the info on the M90 supercharger when you get it!

I have a friend with an SC400, that wants to race everyone, and that might just make his day!

Jeff
Old 09-25-10, 10:19 PM
kwg
Lead Lap

click.....
Old 09-26-10, 12:00 PM
rcracer_tx
Driver

If your looking for a fairly simple setup I would start with a centrifugal supercharger with this bracket:http://www.lextreme.com/supercharger-bracket.html
Old 09-26-10, 01:00 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

I have a friend with an SC400, that wants to race everyone, and that might just make his day!

Jeff
HAHA! I found it. I was way off on my prices though. I found out about them from reading ScottURnot's supercharger build thread.
http://www.richwoodaero.com/automoti...gers_lexus.php