SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Any of you got ticketed for modified car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-02, 09:06 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A cop told me those exotic cop cars u see, like the Dodge Viper, Lexus SC, and BMW Z3s, are all just for show.
No cop actually patrols in them.
Old 07-21-02, 10:40 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

california highway patrol has camaros now. there was a post on it in the lobby forum and i saw one on the way back from vegas...watch out! haha
Old 07-21-02, 11:08 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Z28s...lots of them
Old 07-22-02, 01:03 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of Z28s, Explorers, Expeditions, Excursions, F-150s, F-250s, Dodge Rams (like that can catch anything), Impalas (puke), Luminas, and Crown Vics. All the SUVs and trucks are 4x4 due to the rural parts around Arkansas. You look in a lot and its a variety pack. They never stick to one car. The big thing around here now is the Durango with the 360. They are all unmarked and have lights hidden in the grill and bumper. I have seen 4 in the past few months in this area; a burgandy, a white, a black, and a silver. Silver was wrecked last week though.
Old 07-22-02, 06:45 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Aznteazer
A cop told me those exotic cop cars u see, like the Dodge Viper, Lexus SC, and BMW Z3s, are all just for show.
No cop actually patrols in them.
Over here in central florida, The Winter Springs PD has a bunch of drug seizure cars that they are too cheap to auction off, so they outfit them for patrol use. They have this ever so gay looking VW bug (new beetle or what ever the hell its called). I saw it pulled over w/ its lights on giving someone a ticket.....about laughed my @ss off. Seriously, what is this world coming too. They also have a Neon, Z28 (actually kinda cool, still has wide chrome wheels on it- had decals, but undercover lights ???? inside the car, but it was a full-on marked car. Go figure.), saw a GS 300 too, but from some other city's PD.

Just picture a VW Bug w/ a computer setup in the front, and a shotgun up against the dash (pointing up), spotlight on the front, decals, and lights that are bigger than the car itself -

As far as the Corvette engines go, most Law enforcement have the (I believe - no flaming please) LT-1 engines droped in as options for the GM cars. Stock block, but computer is re-worked, and so is suspension, cooling, oil capacity, etc.

Any way, no matter how hard they try, they will never get Law Enf vehicles as the fastest cars out there, but they will have an edge on many of the stock vehicles on the road. Besides, how many times do you see a gear head running from the cops? Its always some white trash guy running from the cops because he's too stoned to pull over in his 72' pinto. But then again, I don't live in California - whole 'nother country out there.

Back to the original post- a muffler is not illegal, its how loud the car is. And yes, I support the ticketing of those "fart can" hondas on the road pushing 130 dB while running an amazing 16 sec. qtr mile. Its merely annoying and a lot of people complain. Though, sheer irony is that a straight pipe V-8's never seem to get ticketed.....but the bumble bee 4 cylinders get nabed all the time- Priceless . Remember this is a City ordinance, not a federal regulated law. Those that live within city limits are screwed, those that live in un-incoperated county areas have a little more freedom.

Clear lenses are not illegal, as long as the turn signal, when illuminated, is amber and is clearly visable as an amber light from 1200 feet (or some kown distance - I'm not 100% sure of the actual # itself). Same goes for brakes, cept' needs to be red. So the mod itself is not illegal, it the skill level of the idiot doing the work that makes it illegal. This is Federally regulated by the way. So any cop; PD, Sheriff's office, or Highway Patrol can issue tickets for faulty equipement.

The law for ride height is actually a bumper law, not a light law. The bumper law is a state level law, and states can vary from limits (i.e. not all states are the same). The headlights are regulated by brightness and distance visiable. Too bright, it blinds on comming traffic, and you can get a ticket. You can get a ticket for just having your brights on, with OEM lights, so its not a light height issue. The bumper law is a safety issue, in case someone hits you, or you hit someone else. Your safety equipement (bumper) is regulated so that if someone hits you, they don't run over you (or under you). It allows each vehicles safety equipment to work within a range of safety, so bumpers hit bumpers, and not spoilers or differential housings. The bumper law is a state law.

Cities can make local laws that regulate light height, but for the state of Florida, there is no Light law regualting the height of your headlights. I can't speak for you lucky people in Dade County........sorry, its like you live in a mini LA down there.

You guys in California - man your laws are strict. I would never want to live there.

I guess if a cop gives you a ticket, just make sure that what ever you buy has a DOT certification. Just about every muffler does and so do most mail order light/lens kits, so if you get a ticket for the muffler alone, fight it in court, and bring the DOT reg. Number to show it is legal to use. Too many times, peole just accept that they have a ticket - Fight it and you will usually win.

Keith

P.S. If you put blue bulbs in your turn signals.....your an idiot and deserve a ticket
Old 07-22-02, 08:41 AM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

i think ill go to ice cubes quote
not sure if its his for sure
but i think it went like this

F*** the police F*** the police F*** 'em

the university cops in auburn are horrible
they are always tryign to exceed their quota
and choose me as their prime source of income
Old 07-22-02, 09:12 AM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by dpakman91
... etc...kind of a shame that cops are such hardasses.
HAHAH i find this post funny, i beat a HARD @SSED cop in court on friday!!! LOL i was soo proud of myself, i got a ticket for squealing my tires... (i chirped into 2nd gear just driving normal) and i took his *** to court and plead my not guilty, told my story about how i washed my car just an hour earlier, and sprayed tire stuff on them, and plus my pressure was low (which is true), and i sat back and watched that fking 13 year veteran pig hang his head in shame as the judge told him i was NOT GUILTY!!!! man i was soo lucky, cause that was a ticket at the end of my one year supervision for speeding.. lol

kevin
Old 07-23-02, 12:18 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

In Australia I've seen the following being used as cop cars:
- Toyota Camry 3.0
- Mitsubishi Magna 3.5 (diamante in the US?)
- Holden Commodore 3.8
- Ford Falcon 4.0
- Holden Commodore SS 5-litre V8
- Ford Falcon 5-litre V8
- Subaru Impreza WRX
- Volvo V70 turbo wagons (down at the snow)

They use all sorts...
Old 07-23-02, 04:33 AM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

I've never been harassed but alot of my friends who drive Honda get raped haha
once I did get a speeding ticket 75 ina 65 that i believe was given to me because of the fact that I have a 'sporty' car

Corvette Engines? LT1 V8s 260 hp good enough to make a Buick Roadmaster do 0-60 in 6.7 hehe also in the Fleetwood and the '94-96 Impala SS (cop cars)

in Alhambra we had a few friends at a tea shop and a cop came buy all asking us what was up with the cars haha which one is the quickest blah blah (we pointed to my friends bone stock 2k2 Maxima 6spd )
the cop admitted to us that he liked getting in police chases though he said they have a hard time keeping up with the Civics these days the cars are so loaded up with equipment and junk

Here in Taiwan (i'm here for the moment) the highway patrol has BMW 5 Series and Benz C-Classes also VW Passats and stuff like that pretty impressive haha
Old 07-23-02, 08:50 AM
Silver00Spike
Pole Position

ON I-95 I saw a suspicious van facing the traffic. When I got closer I saw a cop in a sub 1995 Plymouth Voyager (with wood like stickers on the sides)measuring speed. I laughed so hard.
Old 07-23-02, 03:34 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seen cops on bikes peddling after a van ... those things are pretty quick.....
Old 07-23-02, 06:42 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

Have u guys seen the cops in Rosarito, Mexico??
They drive Dodge Rams, holding a carbine rifle.
I was in line, getting into Papas & Beer, and some dude got into a fight, and the cop just cuffed him and threw him in the back of the truck.....probably headed to mexican jail. how worse can ur spring break get?
Old 07-24-02, 12:10 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as long as he has money, he will be ok.. i hear you give them some money, they let you go... damn guilty until proven innocent!
Old 07-26-02, 08:40 AM
dpakman91
Pole Position

I just recently got back from a vacation in hong kong, and like some people commented, there are high end german sports cars used for cop cars, and at a police station i even saw a couple ls430's, unmarked, maybe detective cars or something. pretty amazing, better than the taurus and crown vics we see here in the northeast...
Old 07-26-02, 08:51 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Cops have neons where I live as well. They use them as parking enforcement cops... Traffic cops...

They also have some New Beetles. They use those mainly for show so kids get a good image of the police.

As for modifications at the 2002 Auto Show I saw one and they had a list of all the mods, and the major ones basically consist of:

135a Alternator
Larger Rad
Larger Battery
Front Push Bars
Lights
Stickers

Thats about it!

Wait until the cops get a hold of those new Mercury Marauders. Those things are dangerous!

Quick Reply: Any of you got ticketed for modified car?