SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Any of you got ticketed for modified car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-02, 10:43 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any of you got ticketed for modified car?

Just wondering how many of you have gotten tickets from the cops for having modified parts in your SCs.
Old 07-19-02, 05:08 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless you put in some blue light bulbs or something, I don't understand how the cops can give tickets?

Its not illegal to mod your car.
Old 07-19-02, 10:29 AM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are plenty of things that are illegal to people do to their cars. I'm pretty damn sure that aftermarket turbos and definately nos are illegal. also if u drop ur car too much that's illegal. after a drop, the center of ur headlight has to be so many inches off the ground. there was a particular issue of super street where they had a cop from the dmv or something point all thing things illegal w/ a modded car. sorry can't remember what issue it was.
Old 07-19-02, 10:42 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

It is not illegal to have nos, it is just illegal to have the bottle open while on the highway. Thats the beauty of the remote bottle opener!
Old 07-19-02, 11:14 AM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Camshaft
It is not illegal to have nos, it is just illegal to have the bottle open while on the highway. Thats the beauty of the remote bottle opener!
true but my point is it's still illegal for street use.
Old 07-19-02, 12:27 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Actually, in the late 80's-mid 90's there was a huge street racing scene in NY, and lots of money to be made, we were actually blocking off the Conduit with a bread truck and laying VHT right onto the streets. Giuliani passed some laws that made things more difficult. First is that they can seize your whip for an illegal speed contest, just like they can with drug cars and with DWI's. Second, get this, is that you need a chemical transport permit in order to have N2O aboard. Figuring not too many of the guys runnin' the streets were certified from OSHA, it was an effort to cut down on the juice. Since I had already been running hidden fogger systems for two years before that, it didn't affect me too much, the only way for them to find it at that point is for Autocrime to seize your car and tear it apart looking for something, at which point they'll find whatever's there. Take it from someone who's literally gotten enough tickets to wallpaper the inside of a small bathroom.
- Jon
Old 07-19-02, 12:43 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by ForNgoods
there are plenty of things that are illegal to people do to their cars. I'm pretty damn sure that aftermarket turbos and definately nos are illegal. also if u drop ur car too much that's illegal. after a drop, the center of ur headlight has to be so many inches off the ground. there was a particular issue of super street where they had a cop from the dmv or something point all thing things illegal w/ a modded car. sorry can't remember what issue it was.
I guess it varies from state to state.

Aftermarket Turbos and NOS are not Illegal in Florida. ALso NOS is classified as a Non-flammable substance and the only laws that need to be followed are the same as an LP tank on the back of a RV or a filled up Dive tank. Bascicallly its the pressurized part that they get picky about.

In Florida, as long as the bumper height requirements are met, you can lower your car as low as you want too. This law affects more redneck trucks that have beeen lifted, and not necessarily lowriders. The light laws are a distance visability technique, not height. As long as you don't appear to have your high beams on, all will be good.

The worst thing we worry about here in FL, is gettin' busted for the window tint. Other than that this is a Ricer city kinds a place. Every other honda looks like they have been watching fast and the furious tooo much.

Sorry to hear you all have such strict rules!!

Later,
Keith
Old 07-19-02, 01:32 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

heyhey hey...whats this redneck stuff about lifted vehicles...?...i got a jeep thats way lifted and im far from a redneck.....very far from a redneck....and i have gotten a ticket for a vehile being too low...they measure to the center of your headlight...i believe its 22-24 inches to the center of your headlight.......but anyway....i love living in Miami Florida!!!! and im not a redneck gosh darnit
Jeff
Old 07-19-02, 02:24 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Damn rednecks with their lifted Jeeps
Old 07-19-02, 04:05 PM
Silver00Spike
Pole Position

do you remember the thread about getting a sticker from a DMV to get windows tinted legally? IT was the sensitive eyes form or something. I talked to the supervisor of my local dmv, and he has no idea what IM talking about. PLz help.
Old 07-19-02, 04:34 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by SC300TURBO
heyhey hey...whats this redneck stuff about lifted vehicles...?...i got a jeep thats way lifted and im far from a redneck.....very far from a redneck....and i have gotten a ticket for a vehile being too low...they measure to the center of your headlight...i believe its 22-24 inches to the center of your headlight.......but anyway....i love living in Miami Florida!!!! and im not a redneck gosh darnit
Jeff
Hahahah. Jeff, your post reminds me of that theme song from "Fat Albert". You know the "hey hey hey". Hahah.

Chris
Old 07-19-02, 11:22 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

I just remember my friend getting a ticket for having a TRD muffler for his Solara and many other things.

The cop didn't even bother to hear my friend say that his muffler was legal.

The cop wrote so many citations that he stopped writing when he ran out of space.

Other mods cited include such as bluish greenish purplish blinker, decal in the front window(big one that has the name of ur race crew), unsafe tires, clear signals in the rear........

The cop gave stupid explanations on why his muffler is illegal. He said factory setting keeps ur car at the legal emissions level, opposed to having an intake and an exhaust system which is tampering with the factory parts causing more smog..blah blah
Old 07-20-02, 12:18 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Aznteazer, is your friend living in Europe? That sounds pretty much like what we have over here. I mean, so far I put only a few 'standard' mods on my car like:

- Rims (illegal)
- HID (illegal)

And I plan to add

- Coilovers (illegal)
- Intage (illegal)
- ECU (illegal)
- Torque converter (probably legal, not sure)
- Exhaust (illegal)
- LED taillights (illegal)

It's simple. Whatever you modify on your car has to be reviewed / tested by DMV. But for them to 'test' the mod, you have to show them an original certificate of the part manufacturer saying that the part has been specifically made and tested for this car. VERY hard to get such a piece of paper if the manufacturer sits in Japan, USA ...
In the unlikely event that you have a certificate, they will 'test' your mod and can still reject it for virtually any reason, for example them not liking your face

Result of all this is that almost no modded car is really legal here, except for the very popular cars like VW Golfs, Fiat Puntos, Civics ... they get those certificates for just about anything, because considering the market potential for those cars, the extra effort is worth it for the manufacturers ...
Old 07-20-02, 01:54 AM
AUTOBOTxSOARER
Driver School Candidate

If you live in southern california, you should know cops are taught how to recognize what car is what... They know accord, civic, integras the most... Some of them even know how the stock engine is suppose to sound.. Ive known a few people who got pulled over with an h22 in their civic and integras and both got towed..... Just be careful about the unsafe vehicle tickets which is a point in your driving record..... I've had about 20 fix it tickets in 3 years. Mostly lowered, lighting, and exhaust .... You know how greddy says their 50 state legal??? I showed the cop the papers, he laughed at me wrote me up and said show it to the judge and watch his reaction .... hmmmm
Old 07-20-02, 11:28 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Living California would make for a real challenge to someone planning some serious mods,not sure just what I'd do,but it'd be cool,stealth by nature.Maybe a twin engined civic,with the stock motor in the front,and a Buick 3800,supercharged V6 in the rear.

Quick Reply: Any of you got ticketed for modified car?