SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is it a bad idea to disengage Over Drive while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-10, 08:07 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I very easily could have misunderstood. But Jared, the Toyota master tech, Specializing in transmissions, told me to always use PWR mode. Saying that it makes the shifts not only higher in RPM, but _quicker_. From what I understand, the only way to make the shifts quicker is to up the line pressure.

He wrote the article on how to do the valve body shim mod, and shimming the accumulators, and upping the line pressure. (Raven_97707 or something like that), on the Supraforums.

Talked with several guys who have high horsepower MKIVs and 2JZ-GE NA-T and 2JZ-GTE, (SupraRunner, etc.) all who have said use PWR all the time. SupraRunner has made tons of power on the stock trans, and some guys make over 600rwhp on a stock trans with just the valve body shim mods, and shimmed accumulator and bumped up line pressure.

The 2JZ-GTE TT Transmission uses an ELECTRONIC Line Pressure solenoid. The GE Transmissions use a cable to up the line pressure. And I've always been told to pull that line, and zip tie to tight, for the higher the line pressure the faster and firmer the shifts, and the longer the transmission will last. And use the higher points of the ECT, by using PWR mode.

I'm looking for the link on supraforums, and here.

Jeff
Old 09-26-10, 08:15 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ight=make+A340

that's the thread, but supraforums shows off as having malware, just an FYI so you don't freak and think I just posted some stupid malware site or something.

Jeff
Old 09-26-10, 09:15 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Meanshyguy
I thought ECT meant "electronic cam timing" Oh well, I thought I had a fast car lol, but that overdrive idea isn't bad at all.
OMG!!!! This question is like herpes, no matter how many times I treat it, it keeps coming back. OK, almost every single Toyota from the 90's and early 2000's had an ECT button Ive heard even some brand new Toyota's still have it. It stands for Electronicly Controlled Transmission and all it does is change your shift points. ei, when its off, if you give the engine 25% trottle it will 2500rpm where as if it's on and you give the engine 25% throttle it will shift at 3500rpm but if you give it 100% throttle it will shift at almost redline no matter what. So, there you go, it doesnt change your transmission or harden or soften anything or engage hyperdrive, it just changes shift points. Toyota intitially developed it for their early 4Runners and Pickups to assist in towing in the early 80's then decided to put in almost every single car or truck they made.
Personally I think its annoying driving around town with it on because it makes it sound like your trying to race everyone off the line. My '00 4runner had it too but I alway left it on cause it would accelerate like a pig with it off, not that it gave it more power, just that it made it shift at higher rpm's.

As a matter of fact there is a thread on T4R.org where I proved 1st hand that leaving the ECT on actualy consumed 1mpg more than with it off.

And please, look the info up for yourself before you try to question me or try to argue.
Originally Posted by jtamulis
I very easily could have misunderstood. But Jared, the Toyota master tech, Specializing in transmissions, told me to always use PWR mode. Saying that it makes the shifts not only higher in RPM, but _quicker_. From what I understand, the only way to make the shifts quicker is to up the line pressure.

He wrote the article on how to do the valve body shim mod, and shimming the accumulators, and upping the line pressure. (Raven_97707 or something like that), on the Supraforums.

Talked with several guys who have high horsepower MKIVs and 2JZ-GE NA-T and 2JZ-GTE, (SupraRunner, etc.) all who have said use PWR all the time. SupraRunner has made tons of power on the stock trans, and some guys make over 600rwhp on a stock trans with just the valve body shim mods, and shimmed accumulator and bumped up line pressure.

The 2JZ-GTE TT Transmission uses an ELECTRONIC Line Pressure solenoid. The GE Transmissions use a cable to up the line pressure. And I've always been told to pull that line, and zip tie to tight, for the higher the line pressure the faster and firmer the shifts, and the longer the transmission will last. And use the higher points of the ECT, by using PWR mode.

I'm looking for the link on supraforums, and here.

Jeff
I'm sorry but they all are just spoon feeding you bull*****. Ill be completely honest, when I was a tech at Toyota and a customer asked me a question that I didnt know the answer to, I would make something up that I knew would just go right over there heads. Actualy, 2 weeks ago, a mechanic at the Toyota dealership right next to my house told me that the SC300 and early IS300's were 3.0L V6's from the Camry. I just smiled at him and let him return to his ignorant life.
Next time a mechanic tries to hand you a spoon, go see where he got it from first, cause most of the time he just pulls it out of his a**.
Oh! and btw, master tech's are always just fancy names for the guy who's been there the longest and hasnt had the guts to quit and open his own shop.

Last edited by MattStarr; 09-26-10 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-27-10, 12:19 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MattStarr

I'm sorry but they all are just spoon feeding you bull*****. Ill be completely honest, when I was a tech at Toyota and a customer asked me a question that I didnt know the answer to, I would make something up that I knew would just go right over there heads. Actualy, 2 weeks ago, a mechanic at the Toyota dealership right next to my house told me that the SC300 and early IS300's were 3.0L V6's from the Camry. I just smiled at him and let him return to his ignorant life.
Next time a mechanic tries to hand you a spoon, go see where he got it from first, cause most of the time he just pulls it out of his a**.
Oh! and btw, master tech's are always just fancy names for the guy who's been there the longest and hasnt had the guts to quit and open his own shop.
Agreed .
Old 09-27-10, 12:36 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking in general, there is validity to the assertion that higher hydraulic pressure (resulting in increased slip prevention and therefore greater power holding ability) can prolong tranny life by keeping fluid temps in check. Obviously this has to be within measure that it's not exceeding the pressure capabilities of the hydraulic system within a given tranny. This is fairly common knowledge in the truck/towing community.
Old 09-27-10, 01:08 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Yes. I agree, but I wasn't a customer, just a close friend of a close friend. He wasn't trying to shove snow up my ***. And he's spent personal time helping people do transmission stuffs.
Old 09-27-10, 01:09 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can somebody give me the cliff notes for this thread? there's so much ****, its confusing.

so, should we just leave the frikkin trans in pwr, or ect mode?
Old 09-27-10, 01:49 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im gonna go outside right now turn on the hyperdrive power, and shut my o/d off and floor that ***** in reverse til it blows up...who gives a **** just drive your cars lol...i was interested in this thread at first but at the end of the day all it does is makes your car shift at higher rpms woopity doo just floor that sum*****!!!! lol using words like validity and **** wtf lol....the toyota tech just said its bs so therefore its bs hahaha
Old 09-27-10, 02:44 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte
Sorry but that sounds like a bunch of BS to me, not to get on you, but I would have to see proof to back up the claim that not driving in pwr mod is going to hurt your transmission..........im at 200k and never drive in pwr mode, and no issues yet with the my shifts.........so honestly its not going to kill your transmission if you dont drive in power mode. Also it doesnt change the pressure in the lines, feel free to look it up if you dont believe me.

ECT stands for electronically controlled transmission... meaning that the ecu changes the shift points allowing the transmission to shift at a higher rpm. If anything it will make your gas mileage worse, by a bit nothing really noticeable. Honestly the ECT button is there for the wannabe racers to feel like they have a fast car when in reality the stock SC is a boat.........its mostly a placebo more than anything else..........it is not going to change your 0-60 time one bit....it makes you THINK you are going faster and thats about it
agreed

I dont use the power button often because it specifically says in the manual that it is not as efficient fuel wise.

The power button equals worse mileage, not better.

If there was every benefit to using the power button and no drawback the normal function would be useless---and therefore it wouldnt be there.
Old 09-27-10, 06:03 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

I only use the that overdrive button when I want decelerate faster I.E coming down a long hill to a stop sign or coming off the exit ramp to the 1st signal light.
Old 09-27-10, 06:32 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

. . . . and some of us just push in the clutch and downshift whenever we want
Old 09-27-10, 07:07 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

In other words, if you're gonna race turn the ect on and for normal driving leave it off, period.
Old 09-27-10, 07:33 PM
Pipe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by good2go
. . . . and some of us just push in the clutch and downshift whenever we want
Ahahahahahaha owned !!!! I can't wait to do my conversion!
Old 09-28-10, 06:25 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

You can do anything as long as you aren't going from a dead stop at 3k+ rpm
Old 09-28-10, 08:42 PM
Sc4Jr24
Driver

pwr on, then o/d, pwr normal, cruise on, then pwr on this is the code to unlock more hp power!!!

Quick Reply: Is it a bad idea to disengage Over Drive while driving?