SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is it a bad idea to disengage Over Drive while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-10, 10:09 AM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PWR mode is for normal use, and should always be on, for many reasons.
NORMAL is for grandma's that want a softer shift, because PWR is too harsh.

I redirected a few Auto Tranny guys here to explain further.

Jeff
Old 09-29-10, 11:03 AM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jtamulis
PWR mode is for normal use, and should always be on, for many reasons.
NORMAL is for grandma's that want a softer shift, because PWR is too harsh.

I redirected a few Auto Tranny guys here to explain further.

Jeff
Power shifts just as slow as normal.
Old 09-29-10, 11:14 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Using the PWR button does 3 things.

1. It increases line pressure between shifts(and most likely during)
2. Changes shift patter(increases RPM for each gear)
3. increases ignition timing.

Using the Power button will increase the life of your transmission AND an actually improve gas mileage(dependant on how you opperate the gas pedal).

Using the power button will USUALLY decrease MPG due to driving style, but if you were to drive the same it would most likey increase, but this will also depend on outside temps and your fuel. If you are running 85 octane, you will most likey get worse MPG. 91 will result in better.

Using Power mode also increases line pressure, but this aslo depends on WHICH transmission. Many mid 90's ECT transmission use multiple solenoids and or cables to change line pressure. These solenoids are set to a PWM(pulse width modulation) so the range of line pressure is infinite based on the physical limitions of the design. By using the ECT button, this PWM frequency is changed thereby changing your line pressure.

By using power mode, your tansmission will last longer assuming you are not exceeding the power limits of the hardend parts. I quicker shifted caused by increase line pressure will result on less slipping of the clutches. HEAT, let me say again, HEAT is the #1 enemy of automatic transmission. The longer it takes to shift, the more heat is generated by the clutch packs and the converter, although the converter characterists are another topic of discussion.

The ECT button or shall I say "COMFORT" button is just that. Turn it off if you want a luxury feel. Turn it on if you want a sports car feel.

TT supra transmission don't even heave a Power button, but in the same aspcect, the ECT computer actually manages that. The TT trans has an extra solelnoid that will take RPM, load, TPS and other data and basically switch itself between POWER and NORMAL automatically so you don't have to.

Last edited by SuprRunner; 09-29-10 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-29-10, 11:50 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Not saying that you are not correct, but what evidence do you have to back up these statements? I mean there are techs that calling BS on the ECT or pwr button doing anything other than wasting gas and causing higher RPM shifts and other techs backing your statements up.....so I'm curious what makes you believe this? As I said before i have 200k on my transmission without a single shift issue and never and i mean never use the ECT and its still running strong

I have never heard that it changes the ignition timing........I'm not sure how that is even possible seeing how the transmission ECU controls the shifts and the timing is controlled via the main ecu and the main timing setup. Again I'm not arguing but more trying to get a bit more educated.

Originally Posted by SuprRunner
Using the PWR button does 3 things.

1. It increases line pressure between shifts(and most likely during)
2. Changes shift patter(increases RPM for each gear)
3. increases ignition timing.

Using the Power button will increase the life of your transmission AND an actually improve gas mileage(dependant on how you opperate the gas pedal).

Using the power button will USUALLY decrease MPG due to driving style, but if you were to drive the same it would most likey increase, but this will also depend on outside temps and your fuel. If you are running 85 octane, you will most likey get worse MPG. 91 will result in better.

Using Power mode also increases line pressure, but this aslo depends on WHICH transmission. Many mid 90's ECT transmission use multiple solenoids and or cables to change line pressure. These solenoids are set to a PWM(pulse width modulation) so the range of line pressure is infinite based on the physical limitions of the design. By using the ECT button, this PWM frequency is changed thereby changing your line pressure.

By using power mode, your tansmission will last longer assuming you are not exceeding the power limits of the hardend parts. I quicker shifted caused by increase line pressure will result on less slipping of the clutches. HEAT, let me say again, HEAT is the #1 enemy of automatic transmission. The longer it takes to shift, the more heat is generated by the clutch packs and the converter, although the converter characterists are another topic of discussion.

The ECT button or shall I say "COMFORT" button is just that. Turn it off if you want a luxury feel. Turn it on if you want a sports car feel.

TT supra transmission don't even heave a Power button, but in the same aspcect, the ECT computer actually manages that. The TT trans has an extra solelnoid that will take RPM, load, TPS and other data and basically switch itself between POWER and NORMAL automatically so you don't have to.
Old 09-29-10, 12:51 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Take the 7MGTE setup, it has a divorced ECT. If you look at the wiring you can see that the ECU and the ECT communicate quite a bit of data.

You can also look up the wiring on the transmission itself and you will notice that there are solenoids that control line pressure. On many there are cables that hook up to the throttle that also control line pressure. The more you put your foot down the more line pressure increases. In the TT transmission it has 2 solenoids to control line pressure. You should disable both of them and see what happens.

I am sorry you have never heard of the ECT causing a change of timing, but it is pretty much common sense on how ECU's opperate. Working knowlege of a stand alone ECU would help clear things up.

But, if you want your own PERSONAL experience with the timing thing, go ahead and adjust your DIZZY to the point where you start to get detonation ad peak load(easier if you are a turbo vehicle since load increases). Then go push the ECT button and see how much detonation you will get. I did this on accident. I accidently reverse the O/D button and the power button on a custom swap. When the O/D botton was pressed(dont' remember which position) the engine started detonating like crazy. Push it again, detonation gone. Had to fix wiring, and re-adjust the dizzy to prevent detonation when put in power mode.
Old 09-29-10, 01:03 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

BTW, I was putting down over 700rwhp through a FACTORY unmodified NA transmission. I ran this for months before I tore everything down. Transmission still works great. I was able to make the transmission last based on this knowledge.
Old 09-29-10, 03:01 PM
jintei
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

right left right left pwr on off O/D then select start.
Old 09-29-10, 03:03 PM
jintei
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

but seriously, pwr is just killing your mpg. I'm no mechanical expert but I noticed the difference in mpg between pwr & normal.
Old 09-29-10, 03:11 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

You ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, when you are in power mode, there is a reason psychologically why you put it in that mode?

For the most part, yes you will probably get worse gas mileage, but that is due to the fact that you are probably in the gas a bit more because....well, you are in POWER MODE!!!
Old 09-29-10, 03:41 PM
1uzDreamSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i drive normally with power mode it shifts normally not at higher rpm
Old 09-29-10, 03:50 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

yes, you are correct. If just normal driving, the patterns will not change much if at all depending on TPS and load. Driving like this on power mode, should get you better MPG due to the slightly increase timing and assuming you are running 91 octane.
Old 09-29-10, 04:29 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i hate this thread....lol....i feel like people are forgetting that at the end of the day they are still driving a stock na 2jz lol...its like twins argueing that if one paints his car blue hes gonna be more bad *** than the one painted black because his paint job is lighter ...who gives a fAck your still just twins driving stock 2jz's!!!! lol.....
Old 09-29-10, 04:46 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scviolence
i hate this thread....lol....i feel like people are forgetting that at the end of the day they are still driving a stock na 2jz lol...its like twins argueing that if one paints his car blue hes gonna be more bad *** than the one painted black because his paint job is lighter ...who gives a fAck your still just twins driving stock 2jz's!!!! lol.....
But I have a 1uz and my paint is red muahahahahahah!
Old 09-29-10, 04:54 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, I feel more clutch slippage when PWR is ON not OFF.
Old 09-29-10, 04:55 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MattStarr
But I have a 1uz and my paint is red muahahahahahah!
lol...this really was an informative thread but its also filled with a lot of magical powers lol... "u should always drive with the power button on" lol why so i can waste gas or cause bytches dig it lol...

Quick Reply: Is it a bad idea to disengage Over Drive while driving?