SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is it a bad idea to disengage Over Drive while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-10, 02:29 PM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it a bad idea to disengage Over Drive while driving?

I have the habit, on the highway, of disengaging OD to pass or when I just want the burst of speed.

Is this a bad idea for the tranny?
Old 09-26-10, 02:32 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not at all. OD is just 4th gear, when you turn it off, the transmission shifts to 3rd (just like if you would press harder on gas).
Old 09-26-10, 02:34 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I used to turn it off when I was cruising in the hills to keep the engine from lugging, especially when the cruise was on.
Old 09-26-10, 02:38 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Vadim540i
Not at all. OD is just 4th gear, when you turn it off, the transmission shifts to 3rd (just like if you would press harder on gas).
I dont think it is a problem to do that but why not just give it some gas------the car drops a gear and gives you all the power u need to pass.
Old 09-26-10, 02:45 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
I dont think it is a problem to do that but why not just give it some gas------the car drops a gear and gives you all the power u need to pass.
Yes you're right but sometimes you just don't want to wait when it will shift, and just have it ready in 3rd.
Old 09-26-10, 04:06 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

It's perfectly fine for it, and I do it all the time. Actually, it's better for it to do it that way than just punching it, as you'll have the transmission shift, THEN you hit the gas, so you're not hitting gas DURING the shift. So go ahead, d-click overdrive and then blast on!

Jeff
Old 09-26-10, 04:20 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how about the power button???
Old 09-26-10, 04:24 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Leave the PWR button on PWR ALWAYS. You get better performance, quicker shifts, making your transmission generate less heat, less heat means it lasts longer, AND firmer line pressure, resulting in better gas mileage. Toyota ONLY put the "normal" mode on the transmissions for people who couldn't give two ****s about their car and complain when it shifts too firmly. ALWAYS ALWAYS use PWR mode.

For _anyone_ on this forum, who is here because they like their car, use PWR mode _always_.

Jeff
Old 09-26-10, 04:49 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jtamulis
Leave the PWR button on PWR ALWAYS. You get better performance, quicker shifts, making your transmission generate less heat, less heat means it lasts longer, AND firmer line pressure, resulting in better gas mileage. Toyota ONLY put the "normal" mode on the transmissions for people who couldn't give two ****s about their car and complain when it shifts too firmly. ALWAYS ALWAYS use PWR mode.

For _anyone_ on this forum, who is here because they like their car, use PWR mode _always_.

Jeff
I don't think that it actually changes pressure and makes firmer shifts. The shifts are the same, it is just electronics are tuned differently. What I mean by that is when you turn PWR on, it shifts on higher rpm then usual but it does not change any mechanical parts in tranny. It's just switches to different software program. The line pressure remains the same afaik. Correct me if I'm wrong but you need proof.
Old 09-26-10, 06:47 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jtamulis

Jeff
Sorry but that sounds like a bunch of BS to me, not to get on you, but I would have to see proof to back up the claim that not driving in pwr mod is going to hurt your transmission..........im at 200k and never drive in pwr mode, and no issues yet with the my shifts.........so honestly its not going to kill your transmission if you dont drive in power mode. Also it doesnt change the pressure in the lines, feel free to look it up if you dont believe me.

ECT stands for electronically controlled transmission... meaning that the ecu changes the shift points allowing the transmission to shift at a higher rpm. If anything it will make your gas mileage worse, by a bit nothing really noticeable. Honestly the ECT button is there for the wannabe racers to feel like they have a fast car when in reality the stock SC is a boat.........its mostly a placebo more than anything else..........it is not going to change your 0-60 time one bit....it makes you THINK you are going faster and thats about it

Last edited by Sup2jzgte; 09-26-10 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-26-10, 06:49 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

I'm with "Sup2jzgte". ^^^ And I'm at 230,000 + miles on my car.
Old 09-26-10, 07:13 PM
nivek5sfe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turn overdrive on and off whenever you please, its made for it

Always keeps the pwr button on cause it will make your car a rocket ship!!!!...seriously it has no effect except allowing the electronics to make the tranny shift at a little higher rpm...like others have said its a bunch of bs pretty much

edit: i have 235k on my camry and i never drive in "power mode"

Last edited by nivek5sfe; 09-26-10 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-26-10, 07:18 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

I thought ECT meant "electronic cam timing" Oh well, I thought I had a fast car lol, but that overdrive idea isn't bad at all.
Old 09-26-10, 07:20 PM
nivek5sfe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Meanshyguy
I thought ECT meant "electronic cam timing" Oh well, I thought I had a fast car lol, but that overdrive idea isn't bad at all.
electronic cam timing sounds like a nice alternative to vtec lol
Old 09-26-10, 07:55 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Sup2J you nailed it! More performance less gas mileage=beating on tranny baaad

Quick Reply: Is it a bad idea to disengage Over Drive while driving?