SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

sc300 with a lexus 5.0l is-f motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-10, 11:34 PM
kwg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
I thought about putting a b16a and converting my SC to front wheel drive.
Any thoughts guys?
b16a? pshhhh go d16a!!! what you know about single cam?!?!
Old 10-02-10, 01:11 AM
Exthultu
Pole Position

Hell, I would do the swap for an IS-F motor in a heartbeat (if I was loaded), just look at the setup. It's beautiful.

Old 10-02-10, 12:32 PM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

glowing torque converters? its like the FUTURE

that thing is like half missing lol otherwise it looks like an ordinary engine

hey guys, what about ISF exhaust tips? What do you think? Would they fit the SC?

Last edited by 2turbo1sup; 10-02-10 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-02-10, 06:40 PM
Exthultu
Pole Position

The JDM exhaust for the IS-F are faux, and part of the bumper. The US version is connected, I've seen an SC with it on.
Old 10-02-10, 08:39 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, I would choose the 3urfe over this.... Its more affordable and makes a **** load of power in stock form.
Old 10-03-10, 06:59 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LS2. Affordable, efficient, makes a crap load of power in stock form PLUS extensive and inexpensive aftermarket. This is one of the best made V8s available for a street car

Last edited by Klaus; 10-03-10 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-03-10, 10:56 AM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

I think all of the people who are suggesting an American V8 should just take there happy *** off to the corvette forums, or ford forums or what ever. those of us who are messing around with Toyota v8s are doing so because that's what we like. In the end there is always something cheaper, hell leave the damn car stock that's cheaper then any suggestion, It gets you to work, school, store just fine in stock form right?

The OP may have been a little naive by posting the idea with no apparently goggle search, or actual mechanical skills witch led to the jokes but his idea isn't a bad one. I would love to see an ISF motor swapped into something, specially with a proper manual behind it. for me, im going with the next best thing/maybe better, a 3UR-FE. I wouldn't dare consider an ls1 or ls2 over the 3UR at all.
Old 10-03-10, 11:09 AM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

^Hahaha. Thats what everyone likes because its a drop-in swap. no effort needed whatsoever and with enough money left over for some tacky ebay accessories! Those big scary american motors dont belong in our majestic, cheaply modded japanese cars because hey, its a lexus!

I say there NEEDs to be more threads about LSx swaps. Ever think about why these engines end up in anything that has happens to have 4 wheels? I doubt they all go to the corvette or ford forums!

edit:
comedy opposite spectrum option

Last edited by 2turbo1sup; 10-03-10 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-03-10, 11:16 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2turbo1sup
^Hahaha. Always with the cheapest route for you SC guys, never (realistic) innovation like putting a proven and legitimately awesome engine in your car because its an amerikkkan made (and in the 2jz-gte's case "everyone's doing it, I want to be different (and not following through)"). JDM nihon motors for lyfe, rite?

I hope you are not implying that putting in a 3ur is a cheaper option compared to the LSx swap. JDM for life? Not even close. I think a lot of JDM stuff is absolute garbage. Some people like to be different.... LSx swaps are different in the SC word, but everywhere else? Not even close.
Old 10-03-10, 11:21 AM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

^ i worded it wrong and edited it. Im all for 3ur or 3uz-fes (parents own a GS430 and SC430, i can attest to the badass nature of those motors), but dismissing LSx swaps seem shortsighted

Last edited by 2turbo1sup; 10-03-10 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-03-10, 11:23 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JakeBreyck

I think all of the people who are suggesting an American V8 should just take there happy *** off to the corvette forums, or ford forums or what ever.

... I wouldn't dare consider an ls1 or ls2 over the 3UR at all.

Now, now... don't be that way.

I don't think anyone was dissing on the ISF engine or the 3UR, but if you went with either of those engines, you surely can't deny that you'd be forgoing a absolute wealth of aftermarket engineering and support, the likes of which the Toyota engines could only hope to one day achieve.

now can we please put this thread to bed?
Old 10-03-10, 01:32 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Klaus

LS2. Affordable, efficient, makes a crap load of power in stock form PLUS extensive and inexpensive aftermarket. This is one of the best made V8s available for a street car
The only advantage of LSx is it's size and cheapness. That's all. It doesn't even have variable timing etc. Old school crap. Just think about it, if LSx had higher compression, better flowing head, DOHC vvti, etc, it would have close to 650hp without supercharger from 7L. The engine efficiency is ~71hp/liter, which makes it as efficient as civic ex engine.

Last edited by Vadim540i; 10-03-10 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-03-10, 03:06 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

Originally Posted by good2go
Now, now... don't be that way.

I don't think anyone was dissing on the ISF engine or the 3UR, but if you went with either of those engines, you surely can't deny that you'd be forgoing a absolute wealth of aftermarket engineering and support, the likes of which the Toyota engines could only hope to one day achieve.

now can we please put this thread to bed?

I would never say anything bad about someone that did an LS swap, like wise those of us that want to keep our cars toyota, and are willing to spend the money and effort would apreaciate not being dissed for it on a toyota forum. anyhow the aftermarket argument is weak, all it takes is one company to make a part you need you don't need 40 fighting for your business, and in the end do you really decide on motors based on parts being out there that you prolly wont ever buy anyways. my 1UZ swap got so much flack because no one made this part and that part, and in the end, I never wanted any of the mentioned aftermarket parts anyhow, and if it comes down to it and i really want something for any of my motors Ill make it my self, or call up the most appropriate company and commission them to make the part.

Also those LS motors are not exactly cheap them selfs. I can still have a 3UR for about half the price of a LS1, and the LSx prices only go up from there.
Old 10-03-10, 03:57 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Vadim540i,
Compare that LSX & t-56 tranny to a 2jzgte & Getrag tranny in(all in stock trim):

Overall Cost
max mpg
Cost of Aftermarket accesories

The LS1 wins in just about all categories(just checked the 3ur-fe engine on ebay 4,000$....LS1=2,350$, or LS1 and 6speed tranny 2,900$). I understand it is kinda funky driving a lexus with an american muscle motor in it, but I think it can be a pretty nifty beast on the road.

here are a few informative links:

comparison of the old LS1 vs new LS1

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...iew/index.html

http://www.quickstreettrucks.com/sho...8N-for-this%29

Last edited by kene; 10-03-10 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-03-10, 04:18 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kene
(just checked the 3ur-fe engine on ebay 4,000$....LS1=2,350$,
That 3UR-FE price is in the Ridiculously high category, No one will buy that, and the price will come down near $1000 as is the price Ive seen them selling for. That ls1 price is about normal, Hence i stand by my statement.

Quick Reply: sc300 with a lexus 5.0l is-f motor