SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sub replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-10, 09:11 AM
MrBrock
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub replacement

So I was planning on replacing the stock 10" sub in the rear deck, bought one, and it hits the gas tank. Anyone have any good ideas for replacing the sub that keeps it in the stock location and fits? I did some searching, but didn't find what I was looking for.
Old 09-30-10, 10:59 AM
snoofus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBrock
So I was planning on replacing the stock 10" sub in the rear deck, bought one, and it hits the gas tank. Anyone have any good ideas for replacing the sub that keeps it in the stock location and fits? I did some searching, but didn't find what I was looking for.
I have read elsewhere on here that you can separate the stock speaker from the ring that Lexus uses to mount it and the third brake light. As you can see from the photo, the ring raises the speaker at least 3/4" above the level of the parcel shelf.

I'm not sure how the stock speaker is mounted to to the ring - in the post I read the guy destroyed the stock speaker to salvage the it. If you did that, you would gain additional height above the deck and therefore less interference with the gas tank.

I'm planning on having another look at this over the weekend and will let you know how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails Sub replacement-dsc_2888.jpg  
Old 09-30-10, 11:03 AM
darren400
Driver School Candidate

I was thinking of going with this one, when I called them and told them what it was going into ( 1992 sc400 ) they said it "SHOULD" work just fine...

onlinecarstereo.com
Pioneer TS-SW2501S2
10" 1200W 2-Ohm (SVC) Shallow Mount Car Subwoofer Driver
Pioneer :: TS-SW2501S2 :: $109.00
Please roll over the image to see detail.
Hint: click on the image to see larger image.

Item# 25819
Regular Price: $118.00
Sale Price: $109.00 Buy
Hot Deal Item
MSRP: $199.00
You Save: $90.00 (45%)
Condition: Brand New, Factory Sealed
Avg. Rating: Not Rated Yet
Free UPS Ground Shipping!!
Vehicle Fit Guide
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend HACKER SAFE certified sites prevent over 99.9% of hacker crime.

Technical Specification

* Sensitivity: 99 dB
* RMS Power Range : 430 Watts
* Peak Power Handling: 1200 Watts
* Impedance: 2 Ohm
* Low Frequency response: 20 Hz
* High Frequency Response: 290 Hz
* Diameter: 10 Inch
Old 09-30-10, 11:23 AM
keskipper
Pole Position

this is what I posted on another thread this morning...

I replaced the stock 10" with a JL Audio 10W1v2-4 http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=15 and hooked it up to a 300W two channel amp (bridged), and it sounds really, really good for one 10.

It is hard to find a sub shallow enough to fit in the stock location (I used the stock ring, just replaced the sub) and it clears the gas tank by ~1/4". Someone told me on here in May, when I did this, that the sub MIGHT not last because it's not "infinite baffle", but I have had zero problems with it so far...

my $.02 =)
Old 09-30-10, 11:29 AM
MrBrock
Driver

I was thinking about trying to use that trim ring like snoofus said, but still wouldn't have had enough height for the sub I had. So I took that back to Best Buy over lunch and then stopped at a stereo shop to see what they had. They told me to keep the factory sub. They said the factory amp wouldn't be able to push a good sub and since stock one is 5 ohm, going with something else could damage the amp or it would go into protection mode. So basically, if I want to upgrade anything, I have to upgrade everything. I hate wiring, maybe I'll just build a new exhaust and listen to that instead
Old 09-30-10, 11:31 AM
keskipper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MrBrock
I was thinking about trying to use that trim ring like snoofus said, but still wouldn't have had enough height for the sub I had. So I took that back to Best Buy over lunch and then stopped at a stereo shop to see what they had. They told me to keep the factory sub. They said the factory amp wouldn't be able to push a good sub and since stock one is 5 ohm, going with something else could damage the amp or it would go into protection mode. So basically, if I want to upgrade anything, I have to upgrade everything. I hate wiring, maybe I'll just build a new exhaust and listen to that instead
that's what I was told as well, so I opted for the $120 JL Audio 10" and an $80 sub from advanced auto parts (no one sees it buried in my trunk anyways!), wired it up myself (took about 2-3 hours to do it all) and it was WELL worth the $200 and my time...