SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What's all this about Soarer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-02, 08:42 AM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by boredguy77
can you take soarer parts and move to an sc? for example the radio? or do the jdm ones require various parts that make them useless to the american market?
yah i was also confused about this, i found a soarer touchscreen monitor to replace my radio and A/C controls for cheap. i was wondering if this can be swapped into my US spec SC300?? if anyone has info on this let me know! thanks

Kevin
Old 07-22-02, 09:38 AM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

i dont think it can be swapped
i think their radios recieve differnetly over tehre
not sure though
might want to look in to it a little more in depth
Old 07-23-02, 12:14 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Lexcoupe, the touch screen TV from the JDM Soarer (commonly known as the EMV) won't fit in the space of the normal SC deck space. The older EMV's are also known to go faulty (they are around 11 years old, after all!). Besides the EMV screen itself you'd need all necessary hardware (TV tuner etc etc), all the surrounds, and all the TV/GPS buttons are in Japanese (but there's a guy here in Australia that's got translation decals for them). Personally I would just replace the factory head unit with something that's aftermarket... it would be better than factory (assuming).

Bean, actually, the Soarers are quite reliable. My Soarer is equipped with the following:
- Power everything (seats, mirrors, windows, sunroof)
- Heated retractable exterior mirrors
- Rear window wiper
- LCD rear view mirror
- TV/GPS system (Japan only system from what I know)
- Toyota Electronic Modulated Suspension (commonly known as TEMS)
- Reverse sensor aid

In my experience, the only things that have gone wrong are the LCD mirror not going into dark mode and the hazard light button light blown. That's it! I've got a TV in my Soarer but is getting replaced, basically because I've got a full system sitting at home waiting to be installed. I do find some of the Soarer's options to be gimmicky, but I can live with that. The Soarer doesn't really weigh that much more than the USDM SC's... my Soarer weighs the normal 1600kg (2.5GT-T twin turbo model).

SDSC300, sure it's nice to have a turbo 2JZGE, but the 1JZGTE is still a very strong engine, very fast revving, and is also a very good base for modifications as it's already turbocharged (twin, mind you). If you had the 2JZGTE then that's a different story, but you did say a 3.0 litre and then turbocharge it...

I wouldn't say that the Soarer is better build quality than the SC's or vice-versa, as they were essentially built on the same production line, just for different markets. At the end of the day they are still JZZ's and UZZ's...
Old 07-23-02, 05:52 PM
PurpleHaZe
Driver School Candidate

I thought that the soarer had the 2JZGTE or the Supra Turbo motor, a 3liter 320 hp twin turbo motor ? Maybe I'm confused.
Old 07-23-02, 05:59 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey haze, welcome to CL, read your sig, dont be smokin n drivin when you get your lex, if you don't die while not payin attention the lex gets impounded when you get popped
Old 07-24-02, 01:12 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

PurpleHaze,

The Soarer twin turbo is actually called the Soarer 2.5GT-T (or Soarer 2.5GT-TWIN TURBO). They all run the 1JZGTE, which is a 2.5litre intercooled twin turbo, but are restricted (by Japanese law) to 280hp, although they have much more potential, even in stock form (I'd be guessing they would be around 300~320hp in stock form?)... mind tou, all JDM engines are restricted to 280hp no matter what... 1JZ, 2JZ, RB26, RB25 Neo, 20B... you name it, it's restricted!

And true don't be smokin your weed while drivin!!
Old 07-24-02, 05:55 AM
krypto
Driver

.....?what....cough ...can't smoke...while......cough ....what?
Old 07-27-02, 08:58 AM
dpakman91
Pole Position

a friend in austria said he has never seen or heard to the soarer to the best of his knowledge....does anyone know if he is just clueless (not surprising), or is the soarer not available in austria?
Old 07-28-02, 06:41 AM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

Default Soarers....

The Toyota Soarer was officially only ever sold in Japan. It is a RHD car.

All other Soarers around the world are 'grey' imports, not sold officially by Toyota.

Austrians drive LHD cars, so it unsurprising that your friend has never heard of a Soarer.

Australians drive RHD cars, so they know lots about the Soarer.

The Soarer is now on its fourth generation since its introduction in 1981. Two versions have been offered by Lexus as RHD cars, the 3rd gen Soarer (SC400 & SC300) and the 4th gen Soarer (SC430).

TOMS, a large respected tuner in Japan, seem to have been given license by Toyota to produce tuned versions of the latest Soarer (SC430), a similar arrangement to AGM and Mercedes. There will shortly be a supercharged version of the Soarer (SC430) probably using the TRD supercharger that is available for the 2UZFE 4.7ltr Tundra.

Will the SC430 be sold in the USA with the supercharger....... maybe
Old 07-28-02, 05:19 PM
dpakman91
Pole Position

you say grey market...how can somethign as significant as a car be exported without authorization? how would the whole thing work?
Old 07-29-02, 03:40 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

One of the most undemocratic aspects of the EC is the way they allow "protection" of market zones, for example a large supermarket chain purchased genuine Levi jeans from a third country to sell in the UK stores, this allowed them to sell Levi jeans at £30 instead of £70 had they been officially purchased & imported from Levi directly.

The EC ruled that "grey" importing was illegal ?????? (******* beats me how this can be considered illegal or in the common interest of the population of the member states), this ruling applies to many markets, music CD's (£15 GBP), Cameras & Electronics (50% markup over most countries), about the only thing imported to the UK which has a comparable pricing to the rest of the world is computer equipment, even then we pay a premium.

The car market is handled differently, as a UK citizen I can buy a British made £75,000 GBP Range Rover from Belgium at %40 less than the UK price ???? Complete and utter ******* farce.

So we buy used RHD Toyota/Lexus cars from Japan as a personal import, these need some mods to conform with the UK Vehicle Regulations before they can legally be put on the road.
Old 07-29-02, 04:16 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Originally posted by London Bill
...these need some mods to conform with the UK Vehicle Regulations before they can legally be put on the road.
This has to be the most ridiculous part of owning a Soarer (or any Japanese personal-import car). The Soarer is so much more technically advanced compared to many cars sold in it's lifespan (and even now!), yet to comply with Australian regulations (known as ADR's = Australian Design Rules) they idiotically "dumb-down" the Soarer. For example, my Soarer came with ultrasonic exterior mirrors (heated mirrors), with both mirrors being convex. Because ADRs state that the driver's mirror must be flat, the heated mirror gets replaced by a piece-of-siht non-heated item... that's just an example to show you how the technologically advanced the Soarer is compared to Aussie design rules...
Old 07-29-02, 05:20 AM
danielribo
Driver School Candidate

I myself imported a Soarer from Japan. It is effectivly the same car as the SC400 sold here, but, after having the two lined up next to each other, the Soarer does appear to be the more attractive vehicle (really, i can't say why).
Old 07-29-02, 08:02 AM
dpakman91
Pole Position

so basically, from what i gather, the way to get these "gray market" vehicles into the country is that once it is bought, the vehicle is basically shippined to you, just like i would get a turbo i bought on ebay shipped to me from japan? taht is amazing, but it does make sense. the vehicle i not being sold in the new country it goes to, it is just being shipped, so there is really nothing too much that can be done...ahh the semantics of it all..
Old 07-30-02, 09:41 AM
Jzz31
Driver School Candidate

http://users.bigpond.net.au/startrade/FAQ/FAQ.html
That site has a lot of info of what Soarer parts can be put into the SCs. But no info about the one great difference between Soarers and SCs, the Soarers have a REAR WINDOW WIPER!

Look at the view of that window wiper.
(Pic from "http://www.acwman.freeserve.co.uk/readers.html")

I have been trying to get a rear wiper for my sc for the longest time ever, even before I bought my SC. The use of it is endless. I can't find anything about it. What I have to get to do the conversion, where to get it, how much it costs, etc. I'm hoping that I don't need to buy a brand new soarer rear window with the wiper slot. Hopefully I could drill a hole and put the motor in.
Question for the Soarer owners, could you get me the motor and wiper, and maybe even the switch. Let me know how much it'll cost plus shipping to Cali

Quick Reply: What's all this about Soarer?