SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

mixing Pentofrost A1 with Prestone extended life orange antifreeze?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 09:39 PM
rcftx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mixing Pentofrost A1 with Prestone extended life orange antifreeze?

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone can give me some advice. I just had my 93 SC 400 Timing belt changed with a new water pump, thermostat, plugs, wires, distributor caps and rotors. I watched the mechanic do the job and afterward I started thinking that he never took out the radiator or drained it. I had previously been using Prestone extended life orange antifreeze and thinking that given this job it was going to be all drained I had him put pentofrost A1 in which is the recommended antifreeze. Upon finishing the job they poured the new antifreeze into the top hose and topping off the expansion tank. Obviously all the old antifreeze was not drained from the engine and will apparently be mixed with the new pentofrost A1. Should I be concerned and have the system completely flushed and then add back in the pentofrost? or do you think I am ok with the two antifreeze brands mixed? The label on the Pentofrost A1 cautions not to mix the antifreeze with any other brand.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. In addition if you do recommend me flushing the system ...I am confused since the system is basically a closed system without a radiator cap. Can I just open the expansion tank cap and subsequently open the drain tap on the bottom of the radiator and flush repeatedly while intermittently running the car with the heater on until it eventually flushes clear and then add the proper mixture of the new pentofrost A1?

Thanks for your advice and quick response.

rcftx
Old 10-02-10, 09:49 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My suggestion, take that orange crap and dispose of it. It has been shown to accelerate deterioration of paper and rubber seals throughout engines. GM invented the dexcool and it had a horrible head-gasket failure rate. The chemical composition has been "re-manufactured" but I still wouldnt trust it. Even had the GM dealership tell me to take the stuff out of my parents Tahoe after a bad thermostat gasket. Replaced it with the green Prestone, and not one problem since.

also never mix green and orange anti freeze as they are entirely 2 different chemical compositions. You add heat to the mixture and your going to have a jelly like substance flowing through your engine.

My advice, drain and flush everything and replace with Prestone 50/50 traditional green anti-freeze. Stuff has been around for a very long time with excellent results. If you want further cooling, add a bottle of Water-wetter, made a slight difference in my engine.
Old 10-02-10, 10:36 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im very surprised that the mechanic didn't change the coolant at all. Usually when you do a water pump, the coolant ALWAYS gets changed as that's usually why the water pump fails in the first place. Also, why is GM coolant inside your toyota?? Kinda weird all together....

Get rid of the coolant in there ASAP. Getting it done yourself is easy, only hard part is waiting for the coolant to bleed (just requires time and patience) I prefer Toyota red coolant (mostly because i work at toyota and get it for free).