SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Bad sensor? Bad ignitior? Bad ignition coils? Last problem before shes perfect!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-10 | 06:19 PM
stillfly45
Rookie

Question Bad sensor? Bad ignitior? Bad ignition coils? Last problem before shes perfect!!

Okay, so I have pretty much fixed 90% of the problems with my car, but there is still a random issue that appears and disappears.

EDIT: I have a 1JZ... thas all, keep reading now!

First scenario.... After a hard rain storm or during a rain storm, my car has the 2k rpm rev limit problem. This happens randomly and seems to fix itself after it the suns comes out and the air dries up. Weird thing is it doesnt happen every rain strom, but it only happens when it rains. I was thinking a bad map sensor?

Second... My car takes a minute to start. Somtimes 3 seconds of cranking before it turns over, and sometimes 5 seconds. When the car is warm it does the same with the occasional instant start. Weird i know..

Lastly.... (this is kinda hard to explain) Recently, when i try to start the car; it cranks and then starts, but it struggles to idle and hovers around 2-300 rpms while puffing out dark smoke. This last for about 10 seconds and then the car dies. Turn the key again does the same thing. Wait 30 seconds, car starts like normal and idles around 1300rpm in park and slowly falls back to normal around 9-1k rpms (takes about 2min to get back to normal).

The last problem has happened twice in the morning after the car been sitting all night.

Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong? Im thinking it has to do with the ignition, because my spark plugs where changed about 3k miles ago.

PS: GEORGIA SCs help me find a 1jz shop in atlanta, thread in southeast forum.. thanks
Old 10-03-10 | 08:29 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

sounds like it could be a coolant temp sensor or a cam sensor issue...I had my coolant sensor wires crossed and took a long time to get started. Is the ECU throwing any codes?
Old 10-03-10 | 08:46 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Check out zen motor works or top speed, both great shops.
Old 10-03-10 | 08:58 PM
stillfly45
Rookie

Originally Posted by StiCk3
sounds like it could be a coolant temp sensor or a cam sensor issue...I had my coolant sensor wires crossed and took a long time to get started. Is the ECU throwing any codes?
Havent checked to see if there are any codes. Im returning a spring compressor to o'reliys tomorrow, ill have them check.

Originally Posted by attzor
Check out zen motor works or top speed, both great shops.
Yeah Ive heard good things about zen motors, but I also want a shop that can tune/dyno as well. I checked top speeds website, they dont even sell toyota parts in their store. Do they work on JZ engines?
Old 10-03-10 | 10:52 PM
Klaus
Instructor

For problem 3, do you get a strong fuel smell from the exhaust?
Old 10-04-10 | 08:11 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Your first problem sounds pretty much consisitent with a bad electrical contact; either a bad wire (plug/coil/sensor), cracked housing (distributor cap/coil/sensor), bad connector (sensors), etc.
Old 10-04-10 | 12:04 PM
stillfly45
Rookie

Originally Posted by Klaus
Yes and no. im also not running a cat. And its not really a strong fuel smell, but it does smell stronger than normal.

Also another symptom i forgot

When im idling at a stop light or after about a minute of idling the car will start misfiring. It will be a constant 800-1k rpms, then dip down to 300 and then right back to the steady idle. This is "dip down/misfire" is starting to happen more frequently now when i idle. Use to happen once when im at a light. Now its doing this 4-6 times.
Old 10-04-10 | 01:17 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stillfly45

Yeah Ive heard good things about zen motors, but I also want a shop that can tune/dyno as well. I checked top speeds website, they dont even sell toyota parts in their store. Do they work on JZ engines?
Everytime I go over to top speed I see supra's, and they told me they do 2jz na-t's all the time. Zen works with top speed and uses their dyno, and they had a couple SC's, the one time I was there. Zen's owner is an active member on CL.
Old 10-06-10 | 06:55 AM
stillfly45
Rookie

Originally Posted by Klaus
Problem 3 just happened again, and my mistake, yes there is a strong fuel smell coming from the exhaust. The whole parking lot smelt like gas.