SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

..and they said it couldn't be done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-02, 04:16 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ..and they said it couldn't be done!

Well folks, I know a few people asked about this in the past and the answer that I usually got (and others) was a big fat NO.

Well, I'm here to say BULL*****. It does work...

3-Spoke wheel on a older SC...this is a '98-'00 GS 3-Spoke wheel on a '92 SC400....bolts on with no problem...I've been driving with it on for the past few days. No airbag.

Now the only issues I've run into is the Cruise Control connection. While it does plug in, the wiring isn't right. Tomorow, I am going to get the wiring diagram for the SC and the GS to see if I can rewire it. I tried it based on the wire colors but I only got a "partial" result...the cruise control light just blinked on and off...nothing else...

The only ?? left is the airbag. I am going to seek some technical information on it tomorow also. I am thinking so long as the airbag plug is the same, it SHOULD work. But I'm going to find out if the voltage/signal is the same between the SC and the GS (I imagine that it is).

Anyways, this means that the TRD 3-spoke wheel should work on the SC... heh heh heh...Anyone want to buy a 4-spoke wood wheel?
Attached Thumbnails ..and they said it couldn't be done!-3spoke1.jpg  

Last edited by Manaray; 07-22-02 at 04:16 AM.
Old 07-22-02, 04:16 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

another shot...
Attached Thumbnails ..and they said it couldn't be done!-3spoke2.jpg  
Old 07-22-02, 04:32 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks GOOOOD! Keep up the good work.

Overclocker
Old 07-22-02, 08:35 AM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OOOHHHH VERRRRRY NICE MY FRIEND
Old 07-22-02, 08:36 AM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

i have been wanting to do taht
but wasnt sure if it would fit correct

keep in touch on how the rest wires up
if it wires up then its time for me to visit the lexus junkyard ... or the dealer
Old 07-22-02, 01:31 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Manaray,

Hats off to you for giving it a try and succeeding! I would love to have a 3-spoke, however, I have a feeling that the airbag will be very expensive. Can't wait to hear what you come up with.

I would be very interested in buying your 4-spoke when it gets in from AS. This could work out well for all. I think the new wheel you are doing is high gloss, no burl, and extra padding - this is exactly what I need. I am in OC and I can drive up to you and do the swap out on the spot. That way you would also get another wheel quickly to start doing loaners on. email me if interested.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 07-22-02, 01:35 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

a friend of mine already installed the TRD wheel on his sc300 and i have mine sitting here next to me waiting to be installed...i have an all black TRD 3spoke about to go in......Jeff
Old 07-22-02, 05:15 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does TRD overprice their wheel along with all their other stuff?
Old 07-23-02, 07:11 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow. very nice!!! how much was the replacement?
Old 07-23-02, 09:18 PM
daygo718
Lead Lap

Damn, seems like Ryan has first dibs on your wood steering wheel Manaray. Oh well, if it doesn't work out with him I'll take it off your hands!
Old 07-24-02, 01:58 AM
4HUN
Pole Position

Well, seems like the wood wheel is definetly taken. You definetly need to tell us how it all works out for you installing the 3 spoke. Imagine how nice a wood 3 spoke would look!
Old 07-24-02, 03:57 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Well until I can figure out the airbag connector, it's not on the market...however, if this works out, the first person that actually GETS ME THE MONEY will be the first to get it...

Now onto the 3-spoke wheel...

I went to the dealership and had my homie print out the schematics for the GS cruise control and the SC's...the controls look the same, but the way it's wired a bit differently as I figured....my homie suggested I do some swapping of electronics...

Well I took his advice and disassembled both the GS's cruise control and the SC's and found that the circuit board part is the same DIMENSIONALLY. So what I did is I took the "harness/circuit board/contacts" from the SC cruise control and placed it inside the GS's cruise control housing.

Well so far, so good. Everything fit into place on my little Frankenstein...the only real mod I had to do was with the on/off wiring on the cruise control stalk.

I had to cut two wire on each cruise control and swap them out. Very easy to do. For now, I just twisted it and wrapped some electrical tape on it. Once I figure out the airbag connector, I will do it right and solder it and then shrink wrap it. You guys know how I feel about Mickey Mouse mods...

Well I plugged it in and viola! The on/off switch with the GS stalk now works perfectly with my SC. I didn't have time to go out and test the actual cruise control functions, but after taking a indepth look at the innards, I don't see ANY reason why it wouldn't work. (I do have a few years of electronics experience)

So now, all I need is a GS airbag to check the connector. If someone has a '98-'00 GS300 or 400 and you have a picture of the YELLOW airbag connector (disconnected from the car), please post it up for me. I am going to find out about the voltage/amperage of wires and their function (which wire does what) do make sure it's at least electronically compatible with the SC's.

If the airbag connect does work and the wiring is all correct, I will do my usual write up on the cruise control modification with plenty of detailed pictures...

As for the wheel and airbag and where to get it, that you're on your own. You can go to the dealer or the the Junkyard...use your own judgement.

Last edited by Manaray; 07-24-02 at 03:58 AM.
Old 07-25-02, 12:49 AM
4HUN
Pole Position

I thank you for all your posts manaray. You are very helpful and seem very willing to educate others. I hope the wheel works out for you and hope to see a write up on it.
Old 07-25-02, 08:09 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Manaray, if that wheel fits your SC then the 2001 OEM wood/leather wheel should fit the SC as well. If you get a 2001 airbag the connectors for the airbag should fit up as well. I believe for 2002+ the airbag has different wires because of the dual stage feature.

I've been trying to put a 2001 RX wood/leather wheel (same as GS/SC) on my 2000 RX. I have the wheel, but have yet to find a 2001 airbag. I see many excellent condition 2002's. I bought a 2002 thinking it was the same...not. The wiring is different. If nothing else, the airbag is $613 at the Lexus dealer.
Old 07-25-02, 08:39 AM
dpakman91
Pole Position

the only concern i would have is that the airbag, although it might be wired right, would go off all of a sudden. i friend of mine with an acura 3.2TL did somethign very similar, and was told the airbatg was put on properly and whatnot by some friends at the local acura dealer, and one day it just went off during casual driving...not the prettiest sight, and of course expensive to put back in. look great though! good luck

Quick Reply: ..and they said it couldn't be done!