SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

5 speed? should i go risk it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-10, 10:18 AM
SC510
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 5 speed? should i go risk it?

i want convert my 99 SC300 to a 5 speed, but i still can't find an answer to my issue. i know everything will fit properly, especially b/c it will be the W58. However b/c my motor is VVT-i, i won't be able to get another ecu for the transmission. With that said, I've been told that my check engine light will turn on if were to do the swap, and living in California, that would be an automatic fail if were to smog it. (so i've been told) So what could I do to possibly avoid the problem? Would a VVT-i supra ecu work? I also heard about some kind of transmission simulator. anyone know if that works? Or could I just take a scanner and erase the codes and just hope for the best? This is the only thing that's stopping me from enjoying my SC even more

Last edited by SC510; 10-11-10 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-11-10, 10:39 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been debating over this very question for my '99 SC4, I'm worried about the very same thing. I read in a post somewhere that Dr. Tweak can fix the CEL somehow? Not too sure tho. I'd imagine that whatever works for the SC3 would also work for the SC4 as well.
There's a guy in the classifieds section selling an otherwise stock '99 5spd SC3, should be a few pages back. Maybe PM him and ask how ge did it?
Either way, I've been meaning to ask this very question so I'm interested to hear ppl's responses..
Old 10-11-10, 11:18 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not aware of any fix for the CEL and resulting OBD emissions failure. Last I heard, the transmission simulator does not work for our cars, and does not turn off the CEL.
Old 10-11-10, 11:30 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've read somewhere here in CL that 96-97 M/T ECU will work.

Last edited by JesLet; 10-11-10 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-11-10, 11:33 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-to-stick.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...s-ca-smog.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...onversion.html

Last edited by JesLet; 10-11-10 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-11-10, 12:31 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^ did not know that
Old 10-11-10, 01:39 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not from cal but can u pul the cel bulb out and run ur smog or pay from what i been told to have some 1 smog it
Old 10-11-10, 01:48 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Around here if the CEL doesn't light momentarily when key on engine off, they fail you. Also, if you just unplug the ecu to reset it and its in a not ready state, they fail you. If they plug up and it wont communicate, they fail you as well. So there is no way to trick it, reset it, or ignore it. If the CEL trips, you are screwed. Now maybe California is nicer than we are here, but from all I read, I doubt it.
Old 10-11-10, 02:31 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

ow wow !!!!!
Old 10-11-10, 02:48 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Around here if the CEL doesn't light momentarily when key on engine off, they fail you. Also, if you just unplug the ecu to reset it and its in a not ready state, they fail you. If they plug up and it wont communicate, they fail you as well. So there is no way to trick it, reset it, or ignore it. If the CEL trips, you are screwed. Now maybe California is nicer than we are here, but from all I read, I doubt it.
Same here that's why i passed the smog test before before tmy swap.

The 96-97 Ecu will not work on the 99 SC, the ECU plugs are completly different.
If you don't live in FL, WV etc where there is no emission laws i will leave it alone.

I am not sure on the Supra VVTi ECU will work, since some of VVTis uses map and maf and you car only uses maf but don't quote me on that.
Old 10-11-10, 02:52 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Well, the Supra VVTI is JDM only correct? Did they EVER go to a USDM compatible OBDII format on JDM cars? I dont think they have, but I could never find solid info on that.
Old 10-11-10, 02:55 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Oh, 2jzge vvti. Duh, I forget about them LOL.
Old 10-11-10, 03:46 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I've been debating over this very question for my '99 SC4, I'm worried about the very same thing. I read in a post somewhere that Dr. Tweak can fix the CEL somehow? Not too sure tho. I'd imagine that whatever works for the SC3 would also work for the SC4 as well.
There's a guy in the classifieds section selling an otherwise stock '99 5spd SC3, should be a few pages back. Maybe PM him and ask how ge did it?
Either way, I've been meaning to ask this very question so I'm interested to hear ppl's responses..
I've been somewhat exchanging PMs with Dr. Tweak. His first advise was "they learned to just leave it alone" Then I told him that I live in CA and it would be a problem when smog time comes. He says he could create me a box for a $XXX but does not guarantee it will work. I still want to go through with my swap and told him I'll collect all the parts first then will let him know when I am ready for the box he mentioned.... Don't hold your breath tho guys. Mine is a loooooooooooong way to go. I'm currently unemployed and don't have the funds for it hahahaaa.

I believe this swap is going to work be just like what Matt (RedPhoenix) have done to his SC4 (OBDI). Its a manual tranny. The car will still run/start provided you wired the tranny to (Neutral) as Matt covered with his DIY.
Old 10-11-10, 03:50 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Same here in CA... You can't just reset then get a smog right away. ECU has to collect some data which means after the reset, the car has to be driven for at least 15+ miles before the smog.
Old 10-11-10, 06:55 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

WOW you guys have VERY strict laws.

Im in canada i dont think ---in fact I know----they dont even look at what lights are on--engine light or not-----doesnt matter------i got my emissions done the only thing they do is plug a sensor into your exhaust-----and drive the car to a certain rpm for a few minutes...end of story.

Good luck---I sort of feel sorry for you guys ---that is a royal pain in the ***

Quick Reply: 5 speed? should i go risk it?