SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Opinions on this Supercharger please

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-02, 06:13 PM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default up to 9 PSI

it says UP TO 9 PSI, so you could run less i would guess, but 9 PSI is the max, so it might just turn into a blowdryer at 9PSI (just HOT air)

• No oil feed required (wont the bearing wearout?
• Produces upto 0.6 bar (9 psi) boost (might be hot air)
• No internal gearing Maintenance free
• Max impeller speed 43,000 rpm
• Centrifugal Supercharger
• Cast aluminum construction
• 7 rib poly V-belt drive from engine
• Suitable for 3.0 - 5.0 liter capacity (we have 4.0, perfect)
• Available in CCW or CW rotation
• Available with 90 degree discharge
• 18 rotational configurations discharge
• 12 month / 12,000 mile guarantee

sounds simple enough, all hardware seems pretty easy, its the ECU that worries me, we have MAS to measure air, could be good, could be bad. good to help dump fuel, bad because the ECU is gonna go wild when it sees all that air.

whats the cost of the unit itself?

all the parts for the SC4 are too damn expencive, so im sure were gonna get raped on this one too.
Old 07-25-02, 06:15 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SDSC300
if that one won't work then why not another brand like Vortech?
It's all about space. In order to make something economical it has to be as simple as possible. Simple usually means less parts which most times means higer reliability. Vortech superchargers in the size we need were just a tad too bulky for me and would require a lot more changes in the car. I also do not think that 8 or 9 PSI is too much for the SC400. I have everything I need for the car to handle a supercharger I just need to find the right head unit.
Old 07-25-02, 07:58 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Hermosa

It's all about space. In order to make something economical it has to be as simple as possible. Simple usually means less parts which most times means higer reliability. Vortech superchargers in the size we need were just a tad too bulky for me and would require a lot more changes in the car. I also do not think that 8 or 9 PSI is too much for the SC400. I have everything I need for the car to handle a supercharger I just need to find the right head unit.
how big is that unit that you guys are talking about?
I also dont have a sc400 but I do know there tight on space
vortec.V-9 ->
7.836" Wide, 9.904" Tall, 5.391" Deep (not including input shaft)
that one is prob a lot bigger right?
Old 07-26-02, 01:32 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Default News - some good, some bad

Allright, I just called them. The bad news first:

They won't even think about doing a kit for the car. Keep in mind that you will find only a handful of 1UZ powered cars in my country (or even continent ), so it's just not very tempting to them.
Also, they are VERY careful about giving out information on their units. Might be because they have something to hide, or maybe they really have some innovative technology and specs they don't want to spread all over. I WANT to think it's the latter.

So, I didn't get much, but here it is:

Weight: 4.5kg / 9.92 pounds
Dimensions: see pic. (30cm = 11.81inches, 27 = 10.63 and 11 = 4.33). That's not including input shaft.
They will do a custom pulley if necessary, matching our engine and target HP.

Also, I'm pretty surprised about their pricing. The ZR02 is CHF 2600, which converts to approx. USD 1800. I was actually expecting more.

That's it. As they won't do a kit, this is pretty much all I can do, except to try and maybe get more info as necessary. I don't have the skills to do the custom work, or the contacts to have it done.
Also, this project would obviously involve ECU tuning and dyno testing. There's no shop within a few thousand miles which I believe could do it, or would do it. No Weapon-R over here . Also, labour over here is so f*%!ing expensive that the final 'kit' would probably cost more than the car itself.

I've seen numerous posts from people on the board saying that they could CNC machine mounting hardware and do or get custom piping. Also, with Weapon-R and maybe other tuners, you have the know how to correctly tune our engine for forced induction.

So, if someone here is POSITIVE he can do all that and DEAD SERIOUS about getting it done, here's my offer:

I'll buy a ZR02 with custom pulley and send it over to you. I even pay the shipping if I have to. You prototype the kit, test and tune it. Basically no risk to you ...

Now let's see if we have enough people who are serious about this.
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on this Supercharger please-lader-zr2.jpg  
Old 07-26-02, 01:51 AM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

this one seems to be a little smaller and about 200$ cheaper
? then you could build up the car more also if you ever decided??
maybe not I dunno

VORTECH V-9 G-TRIM
A compact supercharger designed for high flow in a compact package

Fits engines up to 575 horsepower
Maximum airflow: 800 CFM
Maximum boost pressure: 20 PSI
Absolute maximum impeller speed: 65,000 RPM
Adiabatic efficiency: 72%
Available with straight discharge and clockwise rotation
Part numbers below do not include drive pulley
7.836" Wide, 9.904" Tall, 5.391" Deep (not including input shaft)
Old 07-26-02, 02:01 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

I don't think it's smaller. Look at how Z-Enginnering measured their unit. Vortech is talking about 'tall' and 'wide' which leads me to believe that they just measured it in a straight horizontal and vertical line. If that's the case, I would think the Z is smaller, although not by much. Also, at 4.33 it's considerably less deep than the Vortech.

Don't forget that the Vortech needs an oil feed, which would make the installation quite a bit more complex.
Old 07-26-02, 08:43 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Default Re: News - some good, some bad

Originally posted by Acctis
Allright, I just called them. The bad news first:

They won't even think about doing a kit for the car. Keep in mind that you will find only a handful of 1UZ powered cars in my country (or even continent ), so it's just not very tempting to them.

There is a guy in Southern Cali from the company that is interested in working with me an a kit but he mentioned that the superchargers they have are too small so far. As stated before they are working on new models and one comes out that works well with our cars we will see what we can crank out.

Also, I'm pretty surprised about their pricing. The ZR02 is CHF 2600, which converts to approx. USD 1800. I was actually expecting more.
Holy smokes the US Dollar has dropped:eek:
I guess I won't be visiting for a bit.

I'll buy a ZR02 with custom pulley and send it over to you. I even pay the shipping if I have to. You prototype the kit, test and tune it. Basically no risk to you ...
Once they have a larger unit I will take that offer in a second. I am worried more about head unit depth than anything else. Acctis if you can get any more specs such as a performance graph with CFM or a similar measurement(more metric) then this would be great. If the ZR02 does not produce that much boost I could still do a lower powered kit. The Vortech unit was too deep for my application
Old 07-26-02, 08:55 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Hermosa, who told you it's too small? The guy from Z-Engineering in CA? If so, this is kind of strange, as I talked to their headoffice here in Zurich today and mentioned it was for a 4.0. They didn't say it wouldn't work. Also, their website says it is for 3.0 to 5.0 applications. Are you sure the guy didn't talk about the ZR01? On their website it says that the ZR02 is not available in the US...

If you can confirm that Z-Engineering told you it wouldn't work, I'll call them again on Monday to clarify this.

What about the rest that's needed for the kit, like mounting hardware and piping? I believe you mentioned that you have pretty much everything ready to build a kit? Could you give us some more details on that?
Old 07-26-02, 09:12 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Acctis
Hermosa, who told you it's too small? The guy from Z-Engineering in CA? If so, this is kind of strange, as I talked to their headoffice here in Zurich today and mentioned it was for a 4.0. They didn't say it wouldn't work. Also, their website says it is for 3.0 to 5.0 applications. Are you sure the guy didn't talk about the ZR01? On their website it says that the ZR02 is not available in the US...

If you can confirm that Z-Engineering told you it wouldn't work, I'll call them again on Monday to clarify this.

What about the rest that's needed for the kit, like mounting hardware and piping? I believe you mentioned that you have pretty much everything ready to build a kit? Could you give us some more details on that?
Yes the person mentioned that the ZR02 is best suited for a 6 cylinder 3.5L engine and that it would not be very efficient for our 4.0 liter V8. But a graph showing the efficiency of the ZR02 would be very helpful. Please try and get this.

Without giving away too much information I have all the components except for the head unit and the mounting bracket, naturally. For the bracket I have a CNC engineer waiting for the specs. As far as piping this can't be finished until the exact size and location of the head unit is determined. But injectors, pump, ECU, bypass, etc are sitting in one of my bedrooms.