SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Baffle in intake manifold on turbbo set up???

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-10, 02:17 AM
BigNasty
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baffle in intake manifold on turbbo set up???

Hey guys!! I am still in the process of completing my turbo set up on my 93 Sc and i came accross an interesting part. In the intake manifold there is a baffle that is regulated by some sort of vaccum(i think)... Im not 100% sure this will be ok with a turbo set up?? What regulates that to open and close, and what are the chances of it closing in full boost and popping my motor??... thanks... also i am going to be running AEM EMS ver.2 with reground cams, titanium spring and retainers, eagle rods and pistons, arp head studs, gte oil pump, i belielve the turbo is a 67mm...
Old 10-20-10, 07:30 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

It's part of the egr system. I guess you could remove it, but I just left it in because it's passive position is wide open (and held under spring tension). It only comes into play when your egr system is connected and that vacuum diaphram below it is activated. I would assume you are disconnecting your egr, so no worries there. If you are worried about flow, you can remove an obstructive crosspipe inside the Y section that is also part of the egr.
Old 10-21-10, 05:27 PM
BigNasty
Rookie

Are you talking about this baffle?? Intake manifold after the throttle body??
Old 10-21-10, 06:56 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BigNasty

Are you talking about this baffle?? Intake manifold after the throttle body??
Yes, that butterfly is what I THOUGHT you were referring to by your original post. Is that NOT the "baffle" you were asking about then? The part I mentioned removing is a horizontal section of tubing inside the Y (right behind the throttle body), located just before its casting splits into the two sections that connect up to the plenum in your picture. It's part of the egr crap too.
Old 10-21-10, 11:07 PM
BigNasty
Rookie

Originally Posted by good2go
Yes, that butterfly is what I THOUGHT you were referring to by your original post. Is that NOT the "baffle" you were asking about then? The part I mentioned removing is a horizontal section of tubing inside the Y (right behind the throttle body), located just before its casting splits into the two sections that connect up to the plenum in your picture. It's part of the egr crap too.
Oh ok! I was just making sure we were on the same page. Thank you for your help!