SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

If you did a 5-speed swap and want your cruise back...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-10, 06:02 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Come to think of it, I am not sure what my ECU thinks is going on with my trans now, since I did remove the wire that tells the ECU it is in neutral... Hmmm, maybe once it goes on the dyno I will be able to see where/if timing is being pulled in the graph.
Old 10-24-10, 07:32 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Subscribed!

I'm a bit confused but I'm sure I'll understand once I started my manual swap.
Old 10-24-10, 11:43 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I was going to install a push button on the Nss so I have to hold it to bypass for starting. I'm not swapped and on standalone so it works even when bypassed full time. Cruise works like stock. Just install the cruise switch and get a regular automotive 12vdc momentary-on push switch for the Nss. I wouldn't waste money on the stock nss.
I fixed my last post, the autocomplete on my cell phone got me pretty good that time.
mine was an original 5spd so i dont know what extra stuff you guys have to do.
If you have an auto cluster, shouldnt it should light up what gear you are in when still using the auto ecu?
If having it bypassed full time is the problem then for bypassing the Nss to start i like the idea of the momentary button, that way it can't be started unless you hold that button, so less chance of someone accidentally starting in gear, and its off when u let go.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-24-10 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-24-10, 12:44 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Oh dang, I think I read your reply wrong. You are saying you want to leave the NSS in the neutral position pretty much always unless you are using cc. If you trick the car to think it's in neutral it won't retard timing right? Is that what you were saying? For some reason I interpreted it backwards from that the first time I read it.
Yes I leave the car thinking it is in neutral at all times other than when using CC. Otherwise, it is very jerky and has the timing pull because of the auto ecu.
Old 10-24-10, 12:47 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

I fixed my last post, the autocomplete on my cell phone got me pretty good that time.
mine was an original 5spd so i dont know what extra stuff you guys have to do.
If you have an auto cluster, shouldnt it should light up what gear you are in when still using the auto ecu?
If having it bypassed full time is the problem then for bypassing the Nss to start i like the idea of the momentary button, that way it can't be started unless you hold that button, so less chance of someone accidentally starting in gear, and its off when u let go.
This is essentially what I did, but I came to find out that the auto ecu operates much better when the nss is bypassed. That is why I only use my toggle for CC. With a 5spd ecu this would not be a problem.
Old 10-24-10, 03:20 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

thats interesting that it operates better in neutral.
I would just find a manual ecu for those of you guys with the 2jz.
as for the 1uz, there arent any manual options but it seems like you can work around it.
Old 10-24-10, 04:59 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Yeah, and I would have to run a JDM supra 6-speed ECU which I hate to spend the money on. I think I will just deal with all the little issues until I go standalone. My car seems to run ok, but once I get it on the dyno I guess a timing pull event will be pretty noticeable. I cranked the boost to ~14psi today, and hit fuel cut for real while dialing it in. Totally different feel than the neutral rev limit I was hitting before
Old 10-24-10, 05:36 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, and I would have to run a JDM supra 6-speed ECU which I hate to spend the money on. I think I will just deal with all the little issues until I go standalone. My car seems to run ok, but once I get it on the dyno I guess a timing pull event will be pretty noticeable. I cranked the boost to ~14psi today, and hit fuel cut for real while dialing it in. Totally different feel than the neutral rev limit I was hitting before
If you don't notice it, then it isn't there. Like I said, it is very distinct. If I'm in the car with somebody who has a camera this week I'll do a wot run with/without bypass to show what it does. Could be different for the 2j. I wouldn't know, though.
Old 10-24-10, 06:08 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Cool, I would be curious to see it.
Old 04-14-20, 12:09 AM
Mach Tuck
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

="4"%First off, I take no responsibility if you do this and your car speeds out of control like the Toyota that it is. With that said...

If you did a 5-speed swap and you lost your cruise function, but the cruise light still comes on when you activate it, this mod should work to restore it.

The cruise control ECU is the one mounted up beside the clutch pedal. It is a black box and says speed control on the side of it. It has a single connector plugged into the bottom of it. Disconnect that connector and remove pin 2 from it.

The wire should be black with a white stripe. You can pop the pin retaining mechanism up on the connector and use a small pick or screwdriver to free the pin, or you can do it dirty and just cut the wire and tape the ends off.

Your cruise should now work again.
Is there any way, after 10 years you could tell us what that pin represents? Is it the clutch cruise kill switch, or the NSS? I see guys are doing mods to the NSS.

I have a MKIV Supra and I did an auto to 6 speed swap and no cruise is killing me!! I wouldn't be surprised if the pin location is different - but if I know what wire your Pin 2, bl/w wire, does then that would help me so much! On the Supra black with white stripe wire on the cruise ECU is associated with the stop light switch, pin 10.

Thank you fellas. Stay safe.

​​​​TheProPilot

Last edited by Mach Tuck; 04-14-20 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-14-20, 09:58 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

What is pin 2 on the cruise control ecu can't see it in the picture? The pin location is more likely to be the same between SC and supra than wire color.
Like in that diagram I think Black/White is a 12v power wire on supras and is usually a different color on SC depending on the year.
So I would try the pin location and not go off of the color as pulling the power wire doesn't sound right.
Old 04-14-20, 12:56 PM
Mach Tuck
Rookie

What is pin 2 on the cruise control ecu can't see it in the picture? The pin location is more likely to be the same between SC and supra than wire color.
Like in that diagram I think Black/White is a 12v power wire on supras and is usually a different color on SC depending on the year.
So I would try the pin location and not go off of the color as pulling the power wire doesn't sound right.
Pin 2 is park neutral/ "D"/cruise clutch switch it appears.
if I'm following the fix for this correctly: unplug the clutch switch input to the cruise control. Now: how could I get it to work like it's supposed to, with the clutch switch cutting cruise as well? Is it something to do with the wiring up by where the shifter was located? Man I'd love to get this working!

Last edited by Mach Tuck; 04-14-20 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-14-20, 02:14 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

so sounds like pin 2 is related to the neutral park switch on autos and clutch cancel switch on manuals, so when cruise sees neutral come on it wont work either way.
alot of auto to manual swaps jump the NSS to be in neutral all the time, so cruise wouldn't work but unplugging that wire makes the cruise not see that you are in neutral (so assumes drive reverse etc.)

So instead of unplugging it, you can install the the top cruise clutch switch, and wire that pin through there so neutral does not go to the cruise ecu when you are in gear, and as soon as you press on the clutch it sees neutral and cancels cruise.

For example, that is how my tacoma was wired up with a manual swap on the auto ecu (before I swapped to a manual ecu) and cruise worked just fine like stock, I didn't have to pull any wires from cruise ecu. see the diagram below there is a depress switch and a release switch (2 switches on clutch pedal).

The pins are different but you get the general idea. you use the bottom clutch switch for starting or bypass like shown in different threads, and the top clutch switch is for cruise control cause it deactivates as soon as you get on the clutch.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-14-20 at 03:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (04-14-20)
Old 04-14-20, 03:19 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

For what it's worth, with my factory SC300 5-speed I unplugged and jumpered the NSS plug going into the body harness (to protect against even a remote possibility of crankwalk with my R154 swap) but still have the top cruise cancel switch installed near the top of my clutch pedal. The all-important little hard plastic stopper needs to be there (they do get old and fall out with extreme age).

My cruise control does work with with the NSS plug jumpered, however if my cruise cancel switch higher up on the clutch pedal were not connected, malfunctioning, burned out or if that little plastic stopper were to fall out due to age (this happened to me once) then cruise control would not work.
Old 04-14-20, 03:38 PM
Mach Tuck
Rookie

so sounds like pin 2 is related to the neutral park switch on autos and clutch cancel switch on manuals, so when cruise sees neutral come on it wont work either way.
alot of auto to manual swaps jump the NSS to be in neutral all the time, so cruise wouldn't work but unplugging that wire makes the cruise not see that you are in neutral (so assumes drive reverse etc.)

So instead of unplugging it, you can install the the top cruise clutch switch, and wire that pin through there so neutral does not go to the cruise ecu when you are in gear, and as soon as you press on the clutch it sees neutral and cancels cruise.

For example, that is how my tacoma was wired up with a manual swap on the auto ecu (before I swapped to a manual ecu) and cruise worked just fine like stock, I didn't have to pull any wires from cruise ecu. see the diagram below there is a depress switch and a release switch (2 switches on clutch pedal).

The pins are different but you get the general idea. you use the bottom clutch switch for starting or bypass like shown in different threads, and the top clutch switch is for cruise control cause it deactivates as soon as you get on the clutch.

So if pulling the wire out makes it
Your post seems to have been cut off.

​​​​​​I think I'm following except for where you said "wire that pin through there" - where? Which? I'm sorry I need you to be super literal if you don't mind. I feel like if we can describe this right that I could have my baby engaging cruise like old times!

This is one of those things where I wish I could meet up and get this working.

Quick Reply: If you did a 5-speed swap and want your cruise back...