Where am I going wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-10, 04:19 PM
DonS1mpson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where am I going wrong?

Right guys.

I've been lurking here for many, many years!

About 7 months ago I got my hands on my first "Lexus", a 1992 Soarer GTT .

Now, the car isn't much of a looker. It wasn't when I bought it, but I was so happy to finally get my hands on a car that I've been eyeing up for many years I didn't let it get to me.

Until now...

Having such a tatty, untidy car is starting to annoy me so I've decided to get at least of some of it sorted. Now, I've seen some STUNNING SCs around on this forum, but I can't quite put my finger on what makes them look so fresh and so clean. I originally thought it was the "facelift" front end, but I'm not sure.

So, I need your help guys.

Here are a few (bad) pictures of my car. Please be critical and tell me what I need to sort out and in what order.

Come on lads, help a poor British kid bring his "SC" upto a standard where it really represents!

Regards

Josh
Old 10-29-10, 04:22 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well It doesn't look that bad at all for being pre 97. The obvious first is Rims, already looks like you have a drop, taillights headlights, performance exhaust to livin up those turbos
Old 10-29-10, 04:25 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

yes these cars all need rims first off----my car was hideous in stock form and once i put my chrome 20's on it now gets looks and com,pliments all the time---im not lying---rims first----body package if u want next-------paint job of course wouldnt hurt
Old 10-29-10, 04:30 PM
DonS1mpson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got some Supra 17s I'm looking to put on which I think suits these cars quite well Which colour should I go for - Black, Bronze/Gold or Sliver?

Got a nice exhaust to go one once I get around to it, but I'm starting to think that it is more important to get the bodywork sorted before I chase more power. People have been talking crap about my car for a little too long now, need to shut those haters up as soon as possible .
Old 10-29-10, 04:34 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DonS1mpson
Got some Supra 17s I'm looking to put on which I think suits these cars quite well Which colour should I go for - Black, Bronze/Gold or Sliver?

Got a nice exhaust to go one once I get around to it, but I'm starting to think that it is more important to get the bodywork sorted before I chase more power. People have been talking crap about my car for a little too long now, need to shut those haters up as soon as possible .
no offense but the sup[ra 17's are not going to do much looks wise---just my opinion---go with something bigger and better.
Old 10-29-10, 04:38 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

grab some tt wheels and more of a drop/ tint will make you look pretty good then tail lights body or whatever you feel like you need
Old 10-29-10, 04:58 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 429 Likes on 353 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by DonS1mpson

The polished chrome TT wheels look great on any color pre-97 SC. In my opinion, they look stupid in any other color.

A nicer set of wheels, new exhaust, taillights, and tint will help clean your car quite nicely. It doesn't take much for a simple and clean SC/Soarer. Appearance is more important than power in my opinion. What's the point in having a 600+ horsepower car if it makes little kids cry because of how ugly and jacked up the car's body looks.
Old 10-29-10, 05:05 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

A nice looking dual exhaust would really enhance the look of the car. And taillights from the newer model SCs would also really help. A trick set of wheels would help too.
Old 10-29-10, 05:05 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

the rims aren't too bad, imo (not ZOMGWOW, but nice).
little tire shine will boost those.
imo, a drop, then exhaust, then rims.
Old 10-29-10, 05:13 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone has their own taste as to what is pleasing to the eye on the SC. Now that I've been here a while over time I have grown to like the Pre 97 as much as the 97+. So really? whos to say what you would like. Post some pics of SCs you want to emulate. That would be easier.

But for starters make sure it runs good as in regular maintenance. Then maybe some high flow mufflers, 19" wheels, a bit of a drop, K&N drop in filter if your just doing mild. If your seats are shabby go with leather 2 tone interior. If you've been lurking for years you've seen stuff you liked, just copy.
Old 10-29-10, 05:29 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's all on the budget you have. If you are looking for cheap and clean... or flashy.. It's all going on your budget for it. I think you have a clean car. I would toss out the wheels slap some TT wheels (alloy or chrome) with some meaty looking tires, spacers to fill in the small gap, drop it a bit with an aggressive stance (coil overs) and it will look clean and better yet it will be practical. Wheels can help of hurt the car... 17-20 wheels can look good but it can also hurt the look. If you slap on some 19"s or 20"s on your car you will need a kit for the sides and rear minimum, being a vetex or even a 97 on up. You can work with your current tails and try to remove the yellow or get some 95-96 tails or 97+ a lot has to do with what you like. I hope this helps a bit.
Old 10-29-10, 05:45 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kira X
The polished chrome TT wheels look great on any color pre-97 SC. In my opinion, they look stupid in any other color.

A nicer set of wheels, new exhaust, taillights, and tint will help clean your car quite nicely. It doesn't take much for a simple and clean SC/Soarer. Appearance is more important than power in my opinion. What's the point in having a 600+ horsepower car if it makes little kids cry because of how ugly and jacked up the car's body looks.
lol at making the kids cry ------yes that would be a bad thing

Originally Posted by BenStoked
the rims aren't too bad, imo (not ZOMGWOW, but nice).
little tire shine will boost those.
imo, a drop, then exhaust, then rims.
like someone said it is a matter of personaly preference when it comes to mods and upgrades------personally my order would be 1.rims 2.drop 3. exhaust

Originally Posted by lfrers
Everyone has their own taste as to what is pleasing to the eye on the SC. Now that I've been here a while over time I have grown to like the Pre 97 as much as the 97+. So really? whos to say what you would like. Post some pics of SCs you want to emulate. That would be easier.

But for starters make sure it runs good as in regular maintenance. Then maybe some high flow mufflers, 19" wheels, a bit of a drop, K&N drop in filter if your just doing mild. If your seats are shabby go with leather 2 tone interior. If you've been lurking for years you've seen stuff you liked, just copy.
This is the most sound advice yet and im ashamed I didnt recomend it first off-----get your car running well first off----if it needs a tune up and some tlc u should be doing that first---good luck man hope u get some good ideas here