SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What's the limit for miles on a used car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-10, 01:19 PM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eleventy Billion miles.

SC for life. Best car for the money, ever.

Now for the serious part. I've had my SC 300 since 1992 and I would say 160,000-200,000 miles is where you can count on things naturally crapping out. That is for an average to slightly above average treatment. Treated poorly, I would balk at anything over 125,000. Totally arbitrary, but I've been around this car for 18 years and that's my take. If there have been major maintenance items like head gasket replacement or heads redone prior to grenading the engine then 200,000 plus no problem. Still such a subjective thing based on car treatment and climate.
Old 11-02-10, 02:50 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All good responses. Thank you.

Another question: What do you guys think is a good, average price to pay for an SC in good condition?
Old 11-02-10, 03:24 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

Mileage is so touchy city versus highway is very different in how it wears on the motor, i bought my sc4 95 with 140,000 on it and it was in fair shape for 3,000, about to do timing belt and other maintenance goods, but jus make sure wht you get is in decent shape and a fair price and just do your maintenance and drive with piece of mind
Old 11-02-10, 04:33 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main thing for me is the paint and interior.
Old 11-02-10, 06:08 PM
adamsbomb
Rookie

I agree with paint and interior, you can always fix mechanical issues or problems, a nice body and interior are harder to fix up. That being said, I bought mine not long ago for 4500, nice paint and body, body kit and wheels, everything working, 600 dollar kenwood and 1000 watt amp, 152k miles. I have owned lots of cars, bmws, porsche, pontiacs, pretty much everything. If you look up reliability of the sc series, you will hardly find any information. Of course they have their small problems, but like they say, the 1uz-fe motor can out diesel a diesel!
Old 11-02-10, 06:23 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Me personally, Im weary about mileage and used cars.

Gasoline- no higher than 115k
Diesel- no higher than 250k

I might make exceptions provided they have ALL maintenance records, any receipts for new parts, or upgrades/mods. Anything other than that, 115k miles is the max.

im the same way -------i would really only buy a car--if it is for myself---with lowerr mileage
Originally Posted by Kira X
Also, the 90k/180k service includes the timing belt, water pump, power steering pump. There is more stuff involved, I can't remember exactly what else there is.
kira my car has about 90 or so thopusand miles on it and the timing belt was already done by the previous owner--i have no proof of it though but this person was not a liar and he was actually a mechanic so i do believe him--------do you guys think i should do the timing belt again at 100 000 miles

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I bought my '93 7 years ago with 150,000 miles on it and then traded it in 2.5 years ago with 254,000 miles.

Overall, it was pretty reliable for that 100K. But there were a number of expensive repairs needed. Since I paid $8K and got 100K out of it, the repairs didn't bother me too much.

- snapped timing belt /water pump = $1,000
- new radiator = $600
- new struts = about $500
- 2 brake jobs = $700
- new coil pack(s) about $600
- tune-up $150
- changed serpentine belt myself

That was the bulk of it. Mainly did these necessary fixes to keep it in decent running shape. Smaller, non essential issues went unfixed.
your timing belt snapped---did it cause engine damage ---please tell me more about that --thanks

Originally Posted by TroySC300
to me paint and interiour are minor issues----to me i care mainly about engine and tranny---the rest of the stuff is not as important in my book
Old 11-02-10, 06:30 PM
ClearP
Lead Lap

all the people who says they wont buy cars above 125k I'd like to know how many miles you guys have.

Fact is majority of the people here have cars with WAY more than 125k, my car has 100k but that's because I have a second car I drive daily and I'm modding my car at the moment.

This is a toyota engine, as long as the previous owner has been taking care of his car in regards to maintenance on time, good oil and correct fuel grade, these engines will run for a long time. As a matter of fact, my friend bought a 97 with 250k 2 years ago and has been running it NA-T since.
Old 11-02-10, 06:35 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

miles don't scare me ...bought mines w/ 280k and the only things that ever broke was the alternator and harmonic balancer..
Old 11-02-10, 06:37 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300_704
miles don't scare me ...bought mines w/ 280k and the only things that ever broke was the alternator and harmonic balancer..
its things like this that really make me want to keep my sc----rarely do u ever hear of other cars reaching these plateau's---------glad to hear your car is still running strong---hope mine makes it that far
Old 11-02-10, 07:23 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TroySC300
me too. If the paint and interior are mint...
motor swap is only thing left to do!
Old 11-02-10, 07:48 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
your timing belt snapped---did it cause engine damage ---please tell me more about that --thanks
Yup. And it happened shortly after I bought it. Bought it at 150K, snapped at about 160K. Clearly, the previous owner didn't change it as recommended around 90-100K. Thank God the SC has a non-interference engine. So yes, it was fine. Engine purred until I got rid of it with 254,000 miles (engine was still in great shape when I traded). An interference engine design would have meant an engine replacement which I would never have been able to afford (I was a college student). I don't know what I would have done after I had just bought it maybe 8 months before with a 4 year loan.
Old 11-02-10, 09:30 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 430 Likes on 354 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
If I can find one like that, anyway. Sometimes that isn't possible, but thank you.
I can understand that. As of now, there aren't any decent SC's for sale in my area. In that case, get one with under 120,000 miles.

Originally Posted by 96SC4
1UZ's are dirt cheap
literally, hundreds of dollars for a motor/tranny/harness etc.
don't be scared.

mine, that i just sold had 215K with zero issues and no CEL's
Did yours really look like the one in your signature?

Originally Posted by BenStoked
definitely depends on the car, and the buyer. my car has 180+k on the clock, and was severely not taken care of. but the price reflected that. I can do any work needed to get it where I want (aside from possible ecu tuning and paint, which I am willing to learn).
if you are looking for a maintenance free car, with no issues, you might wanna consider a new car.
regardless, any car can be a nightmare regardless of mileage. regardless of whatever records are kept, it doesn't mean the seller's son stole it for a joy ride, and burned up the the transmission, or fried the rear end, etc. A 10 minute test drive may not show any symptoms until later.

edit:
also should mention the 88 supra I just picked up. previous owner wrecked it (hit a curb, messed up the front suspension pretty good). about 10 hours of work will get it all fixed, and nothing will show on any records.
car has 90k on the odo.
So that is what's wrong with that Supra? I thought you were trying to slam it for some super negative camber?
Old 11-02-10, 09:39 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mileage is going to be relative from person to person. Depends on what you want out of the car. I knew off hand that the drive train would be swapped out of my car so mileage was not a concern. Once the motor and tranny lets go the car will go under the knife.

A chassis is a chassis, if it's straight and never been in an accident there's not really anything to worry about.

Again, this is relative.
Old 11-02-10, 09:41 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
Did yours really look like the one in your signature?
LOL. No
I'm going to make a farewell to my SC thread soon. You'll see it
Old 11-02-10, 09:50 PM
Rezist
Driver School Candidate

wow would information to this thread

Quick Reply: What's the limit for miles on a used car?