SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What's the limit for miles on a used car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-10, 10:26 PM
OaklandLex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I'd say around 150k or less. I got mine at 105k so I'm gonna be replacing the timing belt soon. Wat else is recommended i replace fellow club members ?
Old 11-02-10, 10:34 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

105k miles is right about the time to pull your existing motor and replace it with a built motor and add a large turbo complimented with a V160...

Seriously, timing belt, belt tensioner, idler pulley, water pump for the most part. Could use plugs, wires, cap, rotor (depending on year model). Changing out the trans fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid and diff. fluid wouldn't hurt.
Old 11-02-10, 10:40 PM
OaklandLex
Pole Position

Thanks looks like I have some work to do
Old 11-03-10, 12:26 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 430 Likes on 354 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
kira my car has about 90 or so thopusand miles on it and the timing belt was already done by the previous owner--i have no proof of it though but this person was not a liar and he was actually a mechanic so i do believe him--------do you guys think i should do the timing belt again at 100 000 miles
If he actually changed it, you should be fine. I guess you could change it if you wanted too. I'd go for it if you are doing other major engine work at the same time.

Originally Posted by ClearP
all the people who says they wont buy cars above 125k I'd like to know how many miles you guys have.

Fact is majority of the people here have cars with WAY more than 125k, my car has 100k but that's because I have a second car I drive daily and I'm modding my car at the moment.

This is a toyota engine, as long as the previous owner has been taking care of his car in regards to maintenance on time, good oil and correct fuel grade, these engines will run for a long time. As a matter of fact, my friend bought a 97 with 250k 2 years ago and has been running it NA-T since.
I wouldn't buy an SC with over 120,000 miles in my area since 90% of the ones around here are pieces of junk. However, if a clean high mileage one popped up, I would get it if it was well maintained. That's really what it all comes down to.

I bought my SC with 91,000 miles. It currently has 101,000. I wanted an SC that needed very little work so I went this route. I'd rather get straight to business and start modding my car instead if fixing up someone else's nightmare.

Originally Posted by SC300_704
miles don't scare me ...bought mines w/ 280k and the only things that ever broke was the alternator and harmonic balancer..
They don't scare me either. These cars will last forever if they are taken care of. The sad thing is that most aren't and those cars tend to have higher miles.

That's impressive that you haven't had any serious issues with your car. It makes me feel more confident in my SC knowing that high mileage SC's like yours still run and look great.
Old 11-03-10, 10:13 AM
ClearP
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kira X
I wouldn't buy an SC with over 120,000 miles in my area since 90% of the ones around here are pieces of junk. However, if a clean high mileage one popped up, I would get it if it was well maintained. That's really what it all comes down to.

I bought my SC with 91,000 miles. It currently has 101,000. I wanted an SC that needed very little work so I went this route. I'd rather get straight to business and start modding my car instead if fixing up someone else's nightmare.
Very true, but even your car is due for a belt job. Even if you buy a 80k car, in 10-20k, you need to have a bit of maintenance done as recommended by Lexus.

I still think mileage doesn't matter that much, it's all how you see it. If you'd pay more to buy a clean car at 90k because you don't want to spend money on doing proper maintenance, remind us not to buy your car in 10-20k. I'd rather spend a little less on buying a 120k car knowing what I need to replace and get at it as soon as the transfer paper is signed.
Old 11-03-10, 10:22 AM
lemaylexus
Driver

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Yup. And it happened shortly after I bought it. Bought it at 150K, snapped at about 160K. Clearly, the previous owner didn't change it as recommended around 90-100K. Thank God the SC has a non-interference engine. So yes, it was fine. Engine purred until I got rid of it with 254,000 miles (engine was still in great shape when I traded). An interference engine design would have meant an engine replacement which I would never have been able to afford (I was a college student). I don't know what I would have done after I had just bought it maybe 8 months before with a 4 year loan.
Some SC's do have interference engines. A quick search should reveal which models/years are interference and which are not. I have a '97 SC300 and I'm pretty positive it's interference.
Old 11-03-10, 11:28 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Thumbs up

Very true, but even your car is due for a belt job. Even if you buy a 80k car, in 10-20k, you need to have a bit of maintenance done as recommended by Lexus.

I still think mileage doesn't matter that much, it's all how you see it. If you'd pay more to buy a clean car at 90k because you don't want to spend money on doing proper maintenance, remind us not to buy your car in 10-20k. I'd rather spend a little less on buying a 120k car knowing what I need to replace and get at it as soon as the transfer paper is signed.
My SC already has the belts and stuff done, but I'll probably change everything out again next time I get work done on it.

That's a good point. As long as the car runs and doesn't need $1,000+ worth of engine or exterior work, I'm happy.
Old 11-03-10, 02:51 PM
ClearP
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lemaylexus
Some SC's do have interference engines. A quick search should reveal which models/years are interference and which are not. I have a '97 SC300 and I'm pretty positive it's interference.
I think OBDII are interference engines? I might be wrong tho. from 1996 engines are OBDII

KiraX, you take care of your car! Most people don't do belts with only 100k, they rather add a turbo kit and get more power! Good for you!
Old 11-03-10, 09:19 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the great replies, everyone. They're gonna help me a lot. :3
Old 11-04-10, 03:08 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by 96SC4
LOL. No
I'm going to make a farewell to my SC thread soon. You'll see it
Oh! For the past year, I've been trying to figure out why did the SC or whatever it is look so funny in your signature. That giant thing on the hood is crazy.

I think OBDII are interference engines? I might be wrong tho. from 1996 engines are OBDII

KiraX, you take care of your car! Most people don't do belts with only 100k, they rather add a turbo kit and get more power! Good for you!
Thanks man! I appreciate that. I would've gone with a turbo, but I'd rather get the car to look and run just like it would've if it was brand new.

High horsepower is overrated. If I wanted that, I would've bought a Corvette or a Supra TT.
Old 11-04-10, 09:08 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Yup. And it happened shortly after I bought it. Bought it at 150K, snapped at about 160K. Clearly, the previous owner didn't change it as recommended around 90-100K. Thank God the SC has a non-interference engine. So yes, it was fine. Engine purred until I got rid of it with 254,000 miles (engine was still in great shape when I traded). An interference engine design would have meant an engine replacement which I would never have been able to afford (I was a college student). I don't know what I would have done after I had just bought it maybe 8 months before with a 4 year loan.
Originally Posted by lemaylexus
Yes i was always under the impression that the sc4 engines were an inteference engine----although i never researched the topic as of yet-------it would really put me at ease to find out if my 93 1uz was a non interference engine---as i do not know forsure the history of the timing belt and i dont have money to throw around unnecessarily--------any comments on this subject of a 93 1uz would be appreciated---mainly are they an interference engine or not-----thanks in advance