(Fast) ECU wiring help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-02, 05:12 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Fast) ECU wiring help needed

Damn I feel stupid,

Got bored and thought I finally install that Apexi Rev/Speed meter. Manual looked foolproof, so I went at it.
But when I got to the ECU harness, it looked quite different from what is printed in the manual.

I just don't get how I should compare the picture in the manual to the actual wiring harness so it makes any sense.

Take a look at the pic of the harness. Do you think that's supposed to be the view from the side which plugs into the ECU, or the side where the wires come out?
Also, there are to harnesses going into the ECU, right? One 'double', one single. In my car, the bigger harness is not the left, the smaller on the right of the ECU. On the pic of the manual, it looks reversed?

Please help a dummy to make sense of all this. If someone would even know the wire colors of the ones I need to tap (see pic), that would be great!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails (Fast) ECU wiring help needed-revspeed.jpg  
Old 07-28-02, 05:41 AM
UZZ32
Pole Position

The diagram is of the ECU (I'm holding a spare in my hand right now) - the notches give it away.
Do not worry about left or right - just single and double side.
When you unbolt the ECU hold it in your hand so it matches the diagram.
To find the correct wire count the pins - for example - the RPM is 2nd row from the bottom and three to the right.
Then put the plug back in the ECU.
Count the pins on the plug to find the correct wire.
etc
Then same for the other pins - take your time - you'll figure it out ok.
Old 07-28-02, 06:33 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Hmmm ... hate to admit it, but I still don't quite get it.

You are saying that the diagram shows the ECU, not the harness and that I should 'hold it in my hands so it matches the diagram'. But if I want it to match the freakin' diagram, I would have to turn it upside down

Again, on my ECU, the 'double' harness is on the left, the 'single' harness on the right. If I compare the 'double' harness with the one pictured, some of the wires I should tap aren't there

For example, look on the pic where the 'power' and 'ground' cables should be ... no cables there on my ECU.

Someone please explain this to me as if I were a 3 year old ...
Old 07-28-02, 06:57 AM
UZZ32
Pole Position

You are correct - the pins aren't all there.
The pin labels on the diagram do not match the description of the pins in the Workshop manual either.
Looks like you are stuffed mate

I can't identify the correct pins from the workshop manual using the desciptions in the diagram I'm afraid. I would hesitate to try to tell you the correct pins in case it all went wrong.
Might be time to put it all back together and try another day.
Old 07-28-02, 10:43 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

OK, it just got MUCH worse

I thought I had it finally figured out and started to tap the wires according to the diagram. Doublechecked it and when I was sure everything was OK, I started the engine.
Everything seemed fine. The engine started, the Apexi went on and the menu was displayed. I shut the engine down to enter the basic settings like No. of cylinders, speed pulse settings and weight.

So I try to start the car again without any problem. But ...... it doesn't idle, it just shuts down again right away. Tried it again with the same result.

Thinking something must have gone wrong, I reverse the installation wire by wire, trying to start the engine after each step. The result: Either it wouldn't even start, or it would start but shut down as soon as I let go the throttle to have the engine go back to idle.

After one step, the engine starts, the Apexi displays the correct RPM so I decide to drive the car back and forth a couple of feet. Next problem: the speed indicated on the speedo AND the Apexi is low by at least 20mph. I shut it down again, check the cables, try to start it again and now it wouldn't start again just as before.

I continue to reverse the installation to the point where all is back to original. Try to start it and again it wouldn't come on. I wait for about 5 minutes, try it again and now the engine comes on again.

The situation now is that the last time I tried, I was able to start the engine and drive normaly except for the speedo reading too low (even with the Apexi completely disconnected). But I have no idea what happens when I try to start it again next time. Maybe works, maybe doesn't.

I appologize for the lengthy post, but I could really use some help here. I have no idea what is wrong, especially at one time I can start the engine but it wouldn't idle, the next time it doesn't start at all and then again everything expept for the wrong speedo appears to work fine. It seems completely random.

ANY idea is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 07-28-02, 11:42 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Aaargggghhhh

New symptom ... I just started the car again to check if it comes on again ... and it did. So again I'd take it for a test drive around the house. Now, as soon as I hit the throttle, the TRAC light comes and stays on, and the RPM drop to about 1k+

Remember ... all this is with the Apexi REMOVED

Anyone????
Old 07-28-02, 12:34 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acctis are you reseting the ECU by pulling the fuses for several minutes between changes?
Old 07-28-02, 01:26 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

I'm not pulling the fuse, but I disconnected the battery for like 30min between some of the changes.
Also disconnected the battery after the last time I started it, and now on top of the trac light I also get the check engine and the overdrive off lights.

It gets worse every time I start it, even though I'm not even touching the wiring ...
Old 07-28-02, 04:11 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

my info / pic is a little different ...
and I dont feel like reading all of that but here's what I got .. may not help maybe wrong.
Attached Thumbnails (Fast) ECU wiring help needed-t-1b.gif  
Old 07-28-02, 10:29 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

SDSC300,

Where does that pic come from? Is it for the 1UZ-FE? And what the heck is 'TA'?

Thanks
Old 07-28-02, 10:40 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

oops sorry its for a sc300 my bad ...
Old 07-28-02, 10:42 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

SDSC300,

Where does that pic come from? Is it for the 1UZ-FE? And what the heck is 'TA'?

Thanks
Old 07-28-02, 10:43 PM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

damn ...