SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Intake for SC

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-02, 09:57 PM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10 min. ****. It took me like an hour. Of course that was the 1st thing I have ever done under the hood of the car. It was a pain in the a$$ to get the stock airbox out on mine. I was just probibly doing it wrong though. If you want an intake, just go to www.importtoys.com and buy there MAF adapter w/ air filter....its like 50 bucks. I dont think that the $60 K&N I have is any better. Oh, and if your going to get any intake...be sure to get a heatshield. It helps.
Old 08-01-02, 12:00 AM
UZZ32
Pole Position

At the ALSC dyno day we couldn't get any more power on any car than a brand new Lexus filter.
We tried no filter, a pod, a fancy aluminium intake and a Blitz foam filter - The new Lexus filter beat them all.

You can see the dyno results here:
Fuel Octance and Oil change:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/dynoday/dyno1.html

In Australia we measure Octane differently - it is the same as your premium and regular even though the numbers are different.

Custom intake aluminium piped intake and K&N pod:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/dynoday/dyno2.html

Different Air Filters:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/dynoday/dyno3.html

We are having another dynoday in January 11th 2003. I bit far for most of you to come I know but if you are in the area you will be more than welcome! (and you deserve a Summer holiday lets face it - afterwards we usually go wrestle crocs and surf at Bells beach etc )
http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/dynodaylist.htm
Old 08-01-02, 01:15 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default How much should you spend?

I spent about AUS$80 on filter + adaptor + heat shield. It was all DIY though, so that probably affected the price in my favour, Also having a garage full of tools, sheets of aluminium, insulating material and hinges.

I bought a cheapish Pod filter (non oiled as oiled filters are illegal in aus for some reason.). I dont have problems with adaptors because GT's use a MAP sensor (no AFM), so any peice of round 3" tube fit no problems. And for a heat sheild I've made a proto-type out of aluminium sandwiched with insulating foam with a wodden lid all screwed down for a perfect fit. The design works real good just missing the intercooler pipes, now I just need to make a final production version out of thicker aluminium/proper heat sheilding material. I gave it to my friend for a street drag event and the guy wont return it... lol... Still making improvements on the design. At the moment I've got a pod filter with no heat shield... I'll get around to making another one sometime...

Toan
Old 08-01-02, 09:34 AM
dpakman91
Pole Position

So i can more safely assume it will take me an hour to be safe, since i have never put an intake into any car before.
Old 08-01-02, 10:48 AM
silvermullet
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with prior post... just use an adapter and a k&n cone.. cheapest and best way to go... you are the same set up as the supra, so parts should be interchangeable almost... if im wrong someone correct me, but Im pretty sure. I have a sc400, and thats the setup I have...

Peace
Old 08-01-02, 06:47 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

someone told me somewhere that the supra intakes dont work cause the intake pipes is smaller than ours... ??? anyone heard of this? is it possible to buy a supra NA intake for the sc300... and yes it will take you about 45 minutes to an hour for a first timer under the hood.

Kevin
Old 08-01-02, 08:01 PM
dpakman91
Pole Position

fantastic, i'll make sure to leave a note about how it goes..
Old 08-01-02, 10:24 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by silvermullet
I agree with prior post... just use an adapter and a k&n cone.. cheapest and best way to go...
Keep in mind that this setup alone will most likely hurt performance more than help it out. The stock airbox provides ample air flow with the added protection against debris, water, and engine heat. The K&N-MAF combo will suck in hot engine air more than it will cold air, and without the airbox in place, you'll find a high build up of dirt in your engine bay after a while. If you want the K&N-MAF, fabricate a sealed cold air box for it and don't hold your breath for performance gains.
Old 08-02-02, 08:42 AM
dpakman91
Pole Position

lexsc400, when i see pics of your car it drives me nuts because california cars keep themselves in such better shape than boston cars...ahh well, someday maybe i'll move out there, after college or something...
Old 08-08-02, 07:42 PM
akmpres
Pole Position

lex400sc,

im a soon to be married man, but i find my self looking at your sig. and sometimes i even say, gee, i hope lex400sc posts on one of my threads so i can see his sig. again!

Very nice..... the car is nice too!
Old 08-08-02, 08:16 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by dpakman91
lexsc400, when i see pics of your car it drives me nuts because california cars keep themselves in such better shape than boston cars...ahh well, someday maybe i'll move out there, after college or something...
Originally posted by akmpres
lex400sc,

im a soon to be married man, but i find my self looking at your sig. and sometimes i even say, gee, i hope lex400sc posts on one of my threads so i can see his sig. again!

Very nice..... the car is nice too!

Hehe, I'll remember not to move to New England.... or get married
Old 08-10-02, 08:56 AM
dpakman91
Pole Position

hahah good call...boston's not bad, but it kills your car.