SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Go get the car or let it be?
Hell yea go get it
87.18%
Could be some problems let it be
12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Big problem what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-10, 05:56 AM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no lawyer but I would get documentation from the police and DMV confirming what they told you and that the car is still legally yours. Then I would go get it from impound and keep it. If the owner shows up with thier bill of sale, charge them the impound fee (keep your receipt) and whatever you pay to get it registered and give them the car back.

The ad in the paper might be a good idea but if you do that, i would definitely put a time limitation on it. You don't want the guy showing up a year later wanting the car back.
Old 11-06-10, 06:57 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You sold it, just say goodbye.
Old 11-06-10, 07:13 AM
TexasSC300
Pole Position

Go pick up your car. It's yours in the eyes of the law. Do it fast. Part it out and be done with it. Don't drive it around for the other guy to find it out.
Old 11-06-10, 08:19 AM
Toshima
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The title company said once I go down there to get a lost title then it voids out any other title and bill of sell. The tow company said the car was towed for "by authority of property owner" for being abandoned. I called the guy i sold it to and he gave me the phone number to the guy he sold it to, but that guys phone is disconnected. Also the tow yard said that no one else has called them or anything about the car.
Old 11-06-10, 08:29 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be done with it. Sounds like to many problems can rise up if you go get it. If you feel compelled to go get it, make sure you make an effort to contact the person you sold it to. If you do get it, places ads everywhere.
Old 11-06-10, 09:13 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

I guess I don't understand how a guy resold it without putting it in his name.
Old 11-06-10, 09:57 AM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Legally its yours. Go and get it. If the new owner happens to show up at your house simply demand the cost it took you to get it out of the towing company lot (400+whatever fees have racked up) and simply give him back the car.

I wouldnt post an ad in the paper. Your going to have flake people trying and take the car
Old 11-06-10, 10:06 AM
gnguru
Rookie

Default If you do decide to get it

If you do decide you want to get the car, you're going to have to show the tow people proof of ownership (new reissued title since you don't have the original) and proof of insurance (Texas law for picking up cars from a wrecker company). Texas is pretty slow about issuing new titles so you better get with it. I think storage is right at about $20/a day...
Old 11-06-10, 10:45 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nfordhk
Legally its yours. Go and get it. If the new owner happens to show up at your house simply demand the cost it took you to get it out of the towing company lot (400+whatever fees have racked up) and simply give him back the car.

I wouldnt post an ad in the paper. Your going to have flake people trying and take the car
The car is not his, he sold it. I qam sure there are supporting documents floating around and now proof on the internet. If you choose to get it be ready, I think it will come back to bite you.
Old 11-06-10, 10:49 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if it were me, i would say to myself.... "too good to be true"
I'd stay away...
Old 11-06-10, 10:53 AM
kwg
Lead Lap

Go get it, pay the fees, sell it again and pocket a few grand. Just this time make sure u transfer the title yourself. Since its still legally yours don't let it accumulate fees and possibly ruin your credit.
Old 11-06-10, 11:14 AM
Rory
Driver School Candidate

I bet its been used as a getaway car for a bank job and someones trying to frame you lol
Old 11-06-10, 11:38 AM
TexasSC300
Pole Position

ScottURnot is really right. Something bad will come from this deal. It is underhanded. The real reason they probable never transfered the title is because they didn't want to pay the Tax, Title, and Liscence fees that the state requires. If the 400.00 impoundment fee was too much I bet the 600.00 tax fees broke the bank.
Old 11-06-10, 11:47 AM
maj75
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't believe that there are people who think that this is still your car...

If the second buyer killed someone in an accident with the car you sold, would you accept responsibility and say the car was yours and that you were liable?

Do you think that you could just go pick it up from his driveway if he was using it?

Do you think that you could drag him out of your car and take it off the street?

You buy a car from somebody and they come take it back because you have not transfered the title yet?

YOU SOLD THE F'N CAR, IT'S NOT YOURS. You had a legal obligation to inform your State that the ownership was transfered, They wanted the sales tax...

GTFO and let it go.

Never ask non-lawyers for a legal opinion. You get what you pay for... 0
Old 11-06-10, 01:20 PM
gnguru
Rookie

All you negative peeps need to go to the top of the thread and VOTE. Hell it's 11 to 3 in favor of him taking the car back!!

Quick Reply: Big problem what would you do?