SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Go get the car or let it be?
Hell yea go get it
87.18%
Could be some problems let it be
12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Big problem what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-10, 01:59 PM
lexgsj01
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to get that car back, if the title is still in your name, the car is yours. No one could even report the car as stolen because it was never taken out of your name. If it were me, i would get MY CAR back and either sell it again to someone that will handle the paper work like they're supposed to or just keep it as a beater car. If the person that it was sold to wants it back, they'll have to pay for it again. Its not free to change a title.
Old 11-06-10, 02:00 PM
Avarec
Lexus Test Driver

theft???? baby cakes this is legally youre car since it is STILL under youre name

if the owner does come back, you return it + the fees+ expenses you had getting it out that is as simple as that

if he doesnt pay? well car is yours again
Old 11-06-10, 02:34 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did vote, I am one of the 3.
Old 11-06-10, 04:00 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a case of finders keepers, losers weepers. Screw em... go get your damn car. If it was me... i woulda posted a thread with pics of my car i just got back and telling the story of how i am stoked im rolling it again.
Old 11-06-10, 04:19 PM
Mr.1.5
Lead Lap

Get it back and charge extra for the guy to pick it up from you. It only fair, you are helping to keep it from going to auction.
Old 11-06-10, 04:24 PM
NineTreSc3
Driver

Originally Posted by Mr.1.5
Get it back and charge extra for the guy to pick it up from you. It only fair, you are helping to keep it from going to auction.
Yea if you dont pick it up its going to auction. But how can the guy resell it without the title? In that case you should definately pick it back up because the person you sold it to would never even know/care.

Im sure everyone here would like to buy some of the parts
Old 11-06-10, 04:28 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

I am hugely disappointed in this forum in 2010. Bunch of people who's momma didn't raise them worth a DAMN. When I joined this site half the people would have gotten together to find the owner, the other half would have found a way to help placing craiglist ad for lost and found to see if the owner would go to the tow company for it. ..........but in 2010???? No, in 2010 it's "F-it... steal it back if they will LET YOU DO IT." Damn the difference in generations ...... and I mean a full generation change in 8 years from then to now.

You sold the car, it belongs to someone else. PERIOD.

Nobody else has called or came to get it in a week because THE TOW COMPANY CAN'T CALL THEM. It's in your name! You know how many tow companies there are?

I tell you what, if you can still sleep at night stealing someone else's property just because "you can get away with it", then buy it out..... place a few ads out there letting people know an SC has recently been found, impounded, and has a large amount of leans against it. If the owner contacts you, get your money back from him and maybe $100 finders fee then MAKE HIM take transfer of ownership. If nobody ever produces actual proof of ownership after you sit on it for 30 days of TRYING to find the owner then lucky you...... you made every attempt you could.
Old 11-06-10, 05:01 PM
T4-Teg
Driver

^ Thats just retarded.

If the buyer didnt have enough common sence to change the title to his name, its his own damn fault. You know damn well if the "buyer" ran photo inforced stop lights, and tolls, he would NOT take the responsibility for paying the tickets. He would say "screw it, its not in my name.

Take the car back, make a attempt to contact the buyer, and if its not successful file for a lost title, and keep it or sell it again.

If the "buyer" wanted the car, he would make an effort to contact you or a tow company who towed the car. If he is not taking responsibility for his actions, there is absolutly nothing wrong with you taking the car back, after all, LEGALLY ITS YOURS.

OLT, if you just bought a car, and it got towed for illegal parking, im sure you would be calling every tow company in town, right? You wouldn't sit back and not do ****.
Old 11-06-10, 05:05 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

You're a potential thief as well. It's either yours or it is not. Your justification for taking someone else's things just makes a punk out of you in the end. That is thief mentality "Yo it's his fault, not mine that I found his property". It's laughable that someone can even attempt to justify it and honestly not see the problem with it.
Old 11-06-10, 05:11 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

By the way this happens every day to people who have to go into the hospital. Their cars get towed and the tow yard contacts the owner. Dude could have anything in the world gone wrong and him be in a hospital bed out for 3 weeks or more and his car at the tow yard. But what's worse.............. tow yard might not even give it to him anyway...... he has no paperwork for it. This would be the ONLY time the OP bailing it out would be acceptable is if he wanted to save it for the new owner and made a genuine effort to find him/her. Karma might pay you back too.
Old 11-06-10, 05:28 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 447 Likes on 369 Posts

Picking up the car could come back to haunt you, but at the same time if it's being sold at an auction, then there would be no difference since the new owner wouldn't have the car anymore. If there is a way to release you from the car's title, you could go that route.

If not, I would consult a lawyer about this and pick it up if it's completely fine for you to do so. Hold on to the car for a while and look for the new owner. If they don't respond and it's legal, I guess you could keep the car. Personally, I'd take it, but I'm not the most upstanding citizen to be honest. If it was perfectly legal and you made an honest attempt to find the owner, then I'd go for it.
Old 11-06-10, 05:38 PM
Toshima
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he calls the police they will tell him what tow yard its in, and he CAN pick it up with out me. All he has to do is just sign a affidavit saying he will take responsibility. I will most likely not go get the car. I dont really know what kind of shape its in now. It wasnt in that great of shape when I got rid of it. Also a lifted k10 with a 400 uses a lot of gas for a 450 mile trip. I would probably spend more in gas then it would be to get the car out. Thank you all for your opinions.
Old 11-06-10, 05:39 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

** shakes head **

I am always shocked at modern day displays of morality. The question everyone here seems to be asking themselves as justification for what basically a dishonest act, is " can I get away with it? ", and not " IS THIS RIGHT? "

SOOO sad

OP, just do the right thing.
Old 11-06-10, 06:11 PM
T4-Teg
Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
By the way this happens every day to people who have to go into the hospital. Their cars get towed and the tow yard contacts the owner. Dude could have anything in the world gone wrong and him be in a hospital bed out for 3 weeks or more and his car at the tow yard. But what's worse.............. tow yard might not even give it to him anyway...... he has no paperwork for it. This would be the ONLY time the OP bailing it out would be acceptable is if he wanted to save it for the new owner and made a genuine effort to find him/her. Karma might pay you back too.

I completly understand that. That is why the "owner" should try to make contact with the "buyer" and find out what happened.. Was the car stolen, towed for being illegally parked, mechanics lean, ect..

If the owner gets the car back, saves it from going to an auction, and makes every possible attempt to contact the buyer, its his car again. What would be the difference if he kept the car (granted he couldnt contact the owner) and sold it, or if it was auctioned off? Him picking up the car would be the smartest thing to do. If he can make contact with the buyer, and give him the car back (after reimburstment of course) he did a good dead.

If he cannot contact the buyer, I see no harm in filing for a lost title, and keep or sell the car. (or hell, make a charitable donation with it would be the best thing.)
Old 11-06-10, 06:13 PM
T4-Teg
Driver

Originally Posted by good2go
** shakes head **

I am always shocked at modern day displays of morality. The question everyone here seems to be asking themselves as justification for what basically a dishonest act, is " can I get away with it? ", and not " IS THIS RIGHT? "

SOOO sad

OP, just do the right thing.

What would be the right thing to do? Let the car go to auction and have no possible way for the "buyer" to get the car back? ... Yeah, thats what I call "the right thing"

Quick Reply: Big problem what would you do?