SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Go get the car or let it be?
Hell yea go get it
87.18%
Could be some problems let it be
12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Big problem what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-10, 06:30 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

There is obviously a difference between what is considered "legal," and what is considered "moral."

I think many people here are confusing the two, which is not the way the law works. Ther are plenty of morally correct actions that are illegal. Example: You're walking down the street with your grandfather and he tells you he really needs to take a ****, but there is no bathroom in sight. Morally, you advise him to go behind the tree and urinate. Cop drives by, sees him, and arrests him for public urination. In certain states, this means that he is also labeled a sex offender. But great, you did the morally correct thing.

No pun intended, but let's not beat around the bush here...
I think I was the 2nd or 3rd guy to post in this thread, and my opinion was to pick up the car, try in good faith to contact the "owner", and place an ad in the newspaper. If, after some time you hear nothing, then the car is yours. AFAIK, this is THE LAW. Which means that anything you find, a briefcase full of money, a bicycle, anything else that is a movable object... all you have to do, if you find it in a place (and it is reasonable to believe that the object is lost or abandoned), then all you have to do is place an ad in the area where you found the object. This is all you are legally required to do. I nour scenario, you are going the extra step by trying to find the owner.

How is this morally wrong is beyond me. Let it go to the crusher, I guess.
Now, the fact that the OP has updated the thread saying that it is not economically feasible to pick up the car... well, that's a different story. Case closed.
Old 11-06-10, 06:35 PM
gnguru
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Texas towing company regulations makes it mandatory that the tow company HAS to see proof of ownership (actual title or papers showing you have purchased the car and new title/registration is at the DMV processing). You can beg them all you want but 99.99% will require this because if they don't, they stand to lose their towing permits and licenses and all their income. Trust me, I know. So chances are the guy that bought the car is NOT going to be able to get the vehicle released to himself anyway in which case it will be sold at an auction. That's just the way it is in Texas and there ain't nuttin anyone can do about it!!!!!
Old 11-06-10, 06:41 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

the fact here is that the person that bought your car obviously made some serious mistakes along the way.

For one he didnt change the title to his own name---two he somehow got the car towed and hasnt made the slightest bit of effort to find it-----

His mistake is not your doing or your fault------the car is yours -------GO GET IT!!!!!!!Before its too late.
Old 11-06-10, 09:27 PM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say get a copy of the title (not hard, and takes 5 minutes in person), get the car, place the ad, give it 90 days. If he comes looking, charge him the town, storage, and re-storage(your fee) and no harm done, and you have your cash back. If he cannot pay, do a lein on it like the tow company does and sell it to yourself.

^
|
|
Best option.

Option 2: Get it, part it out, all done.
Old 11-10-10, 03:45 PM
Gazootech
Rookie

Go to the Dmv get a replacement title, get the car. Let is sit for a while and then sell it again.
Old 11-10-10, 04:13 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally on a moral pov I would get it as the vehicle will only be released to you. so go get it out of there before the fee's get racked up beyond the value of the car or auctioned off however after that make the attempt to contact the person who bought the car after you sold it to the other party if no one steps forward then keep it. But look at it this way lets say you personally was the one who bought the car with your hard earned cash and had this happen to you. Would you like someone to shaft you...in that manner? Look at it this way if they have a bill of sale from the other party and they get the bill of sale showing the guy that bought it off of you then that proves the transaction and you just took the car from them all they would have to do is show that in court to show they purchased it. You made a mistake by not turning in the documentation to release liability of ownership of the car and if you go pick it up and those people go after you later on its just gonna be a mess either do whats morally right or just let it go. I'm actually appalled that most of you would straight up take the car back with out even attempting to find the person who purchased it... I think its either the generation gap or simply your parents just didn't raise you right.

Funny enough I have to agree with O.L.T on this even though we have had our difference of opinions on many issues over the years
Old 11-10-10, 04:29 PM
broda805
Lead Lap

400 bucks for your car back.. if it has no legal strings attached why not?