SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

E-bay body kits------are they any good---

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-10, 04:59 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Default E-bay body kits------are they any good---

Hey guys----------i have been looking for a good looking body kit for along time now and there is really only one place in my area that has a kit and it is one i dont particularly care for.

I have noticed that e-bay has a ton of them for sale for what seems to be very cheap----------does anyone have any feedback on these kits-------i realize alot of what e bay has is garbage and im wondering of the kits are the same-----heres the link of the ones im looking at.

I realize buying a cheap kit can lead to fitment issues and other problems.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from...c400+body+kits
Old 11-07-10, 05:06 PM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With something where fitment is such an issue I would really steer away from replicas because alot of them are.
Old 11-07-10, 05:10 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 0435
With something where fitment is such an issue I would really steer away from replicas because alot of them are.
yes i figured fitment could be an issue here but is the fitment really that bad---i mean if it really was that bad couldnt i just get my money back due to the parts not fitting-----anyways there is nothing in my area i may have to go this route---also the pricing is very cheap as well --may be worth 5taking a chance

ill wait to hear some more feedback though

thanks
Old 11-07-10, 05:12 PM
Driver

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
yes i figured fitment could be an issue here but is the fitment really that bad---i mean if it really was that bad couldnt i just get my money back due to the parts not fitting-----anyways there is nothing in my area i may have to go this route---also the pricing is very cheap as well --may be worth 5taking a chance

ill wait to hear some more feedback though

thanks
Well even the big companies that make kits have to do some fitting, i assume the knockoffs are nightmares. If you havent done body work before it can get tedious.
Old 11-07-10, 05:16 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

i am actually quite good with body work---like dealing with rust and body damage and painting and stuff-----but i dont know if that would help me here--------im sure it wont hurt though----
Old 11-07-10, 05:18 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ebay kits are hit and miss. from what i have had and seen. i would be lookign at a shine kit great and near fitment.
Old 11-07-10, 05:26 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

thanks t70----i am new to alot of this so could u please tell me a bit more about this shine kit---i have heard it mentioned countless times but dont know where to find it or even what it looks like exactly------are they reasonably priced------money is an issue of course---thanks for the info
Old 11-07-10, 06:01 PM
DKJZZ30
Lead Lap

i would stay away from the ebay ones. its like anything else, you get what you pay for. i bought an origin kit and it needed some serious tweaking to fit right. i can only imagine what an ebay kit would fit like
Old 11-07-10, 06:05 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DKJZZ30
i would stay away from the ebay ones. its like anything else, you get what you pay for. i bought an origin kit and it needed some serious tweaking to fit right. i can only imagine what an ebay kit would fit like
yes i am worried about that ---bt the thing is a really want a kit and money is an issue--------im hopinh with a bit of luck and some elbow grease i can get the kit to fit ---unless it is really bad to which it shouldnt be for sale-----i

i do know e bay stuff can be quite crappy-----anyways hoping to here from someone who has purchased one of these kits---for the price they are very temtping i must admit

thanks
Old 11-07-10, 06:06 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

I'd stay clear from unknown ebay kits because I'm fairly certain it will be a nightmare.

Shine kit is an AC replica, google in "shine auto project" and look for the SC300
Old 11-07-10, 06:27 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

---------------no----------------

why---do-----you-------talk-------like------this---?

Price is tempting but the amount of work you put into it isn't worth it. What kit are you looking at?
Old 11-07-10, 06:32 PM
N00bie909
Lead Lap

For the cheapness of the prices in the body kit the more expensive it will be to fit it paint it and all that. I would go with ait if I were or shine but usally but just buy the real deal oem fittment. Just paint and shoot. Do some more research.
Old 11-07-10, 06:40 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sc300jz
---------------no----------------

why---do-----you-------talk-------like------this---?

Price is tempting but the amount of work you put into it isn't worth it. What kit are you looking at?
oh here we go------a grammar coach as well as an sc owner---your mother must be proud.

The one im looking at is the very first one at the top------the red one.

I have never dealth with e -bay before so i wonder-----if i am not happy with the kit of it is faulty in some way ---like it doesnt fit----cant i get my money back ????\

And noobie im with you i really am ----ideally i would love to just get a oem 97+ kit or something of high quality but i cant find them in my area and ive never been one to put money towards risky online purchases.

With e -bay i think at least there is some sort of buyer protection---at least thats what ive heard....

thanks
Old 11-07-10, 06:47 PM
kwg
Lead Lap

i'd go with a shine kit
Old 11-07-10, 06:52 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

...If you even read the entire ebay auction it states

Do not expect these parts to fit just like OEM parts right out of the box. However, if you are going to an experienced aftermarket professional body shop, they should have absolutely no problem getting these parts installed.

# Item is not pre-drilled, not ready for paint
# modifications required: sanding, shaving, trimming, application of heat, etc

Body Kits is not a direct bolt on product, the surface is not finised and it is not painted.

So installation of the body kit are expensive, it can range from 500-1000 dollars.

And you want to return it if it doesnt fit well? I think it clearly state it doesnt fit good

I can promise you if your reason of return is it doesnt fit well. Your not getting your money back

Quick Reply: E-bay body kits------are they any good---