SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Heater core

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-10, 01:50 PM
TunerLexx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Heater core

I was wondering if there's a way to get to the heater core without taking out the AC evap--my repair manual says I need to completely remove the evap from the system in order to access the heater core, god tell me it's not true lol.

My main prob is that the AC works PERFECT but I get NO heat when switched on. The ducts are clear and I want to check if the blower motor sucked in some leaves. I'm hoping the core isn't bad and I even did a pressurized coolant flush and even during the flush with the heat on full blast I got no heat except for the ambient heat from the motor being sucked into the ducts. Maybe the valve for the heater core? I dunno--again just wondering if I can get to the heater core any other way than by dismantling half of my ac system.
Old 11-08-10, 04:55 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

On most system there's a air door that diverts the air away from the Heater Core to to it (and also allows coolant to get to the Core).

Are you sure it's busted?
Old 11-08-10, 05:03 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

check your heater valve on the firewall, i have it if you need it
Old 11-12-10, 04:29 AM
TunerLexx
Driver School Candidate

Awesome, thanks guys--checking into both right now--and I love the car tech--same color as mine pimpin lol. and I'll get backto you on whether or not I need that valve aliga.
Old 11-12-10, 11:34 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

No problem, that's what we're here for.

Thanks on the Car. The previous owner got it painted, it's a stock color, but it's been tweaked a little bit. At night, it almost looks like a dark blue/black under certain lights. I didn't care for it at first but now it's grown on me, I wouldn't paint it any other way.
Old 11-14-10, 05:51 PM
airtraffic
Rookie

Not likely that the core is blocked.. More likely the water control valve. It's a vacuum operated device on the passenger side by the firewall. Do a search for "No heat" and you may find the excellent writeup with pics of the valve. You can take about 2 seconds and swap the hose on the valve. If you get heat, then you know the valve needs to be replaced. I just had this no heat issue and ran the test and got heat when I swapped the hose. I then swapped the hoses back and still had heat but I know I'll likely need to replace this valve soon.
Old 11-16-10, 10:11 AM
TunerLexx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TechGreek
On most system there's a air door that diverts the air away from the Heater Core to to it (and also allows coolant to get to the Core).

Are you sure it's busted?
Are you saying the motor that controls that door also controls the valve for the coolant to the heater core? if that's the case, I have the whole passenger side taken apart so I can see the evaporator ( cover is off evap) and I changed from interior to exterior air and saw the blower door move--then went from cold to hot air and saw the door control move that switches the air from evap to heater core...does that mean the valve is good? Also I checked the ducts for debris and though the evaporator has some hair and dirt in it (pulled all the debris out fyi) there were no obstructions.

On a side note--I noticed that I have a gap in the houseing where I could install a cabin filter...but I don't think they make cabin filters for 93 sc400's...is it an option for a later model--and could I use said model's filter on my car?