What did you do to your SC today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-15, 11:56 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by matguy
Update:

Actually, not quite as bad as I thought, getting to it. I'm going to try to service the contacts in place. If I can't, then I'll go ahead and pull the whole starter.

The solenoid clicks fine, and when it catches the starter turns great. It's just the contacts on the solenoid that are going out. Just kind of sad that it takes this much work to replace a $7 set.

On, and the next thing I did after the pic was to put tape over the intake ports on the heads.
Very nice and clean vvti!!! Great job on the starter!!!
Old 10-05-15, 12:06 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Well, I sanded some of the clear coat on my 98 and primed it for now . This one is going wingless and going to shave badges off
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your SC today?-image.jpeg  
Old 10-05-15, 12:20 PM
matguy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Well, I sanded some of the clear coat on my 98 and primed it for now . This one is going wingless and going to shave badges off
Get some Solara badges for it.
Old 10-05-15, 02:39 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by matguy
Actually, not quite as bad as I thought, getting to it. I'm going to try to service the contacts in place. If I can't, then I'll go ahead and pull the whole starter.

The solenoid clicks fine, and when it catches the starter turns great. It's just the contacts on the solenoid that are going out. Just kind of sad that it takes this much work to replace a $7 set.

On, and the next thing I did after the pic was to put tape over the intake ports on the heads.
I've always heard the 1UZ starter was hard to change, but that doesn't look like it's too bad.
Old 10-05-15, 02:59 PM
matguy
Driver

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I've always heard the 1UZ starter was hard to change, but that doesn't look like it's too bad.
Oh, getting to it isn't all that bad. Getting it out is another story. I'm not planning on pulling mine, though. I'm just going to replace the solenoid contacts in place. The motor spins great and solenoid kicks fine, it just doesn't connect and turn most of the time. Click-of-death.

I figure I'll know while I'm in there if I fully botched the contact replacement by jumping the starter relay and seeing if it turns the engine (now that I think of it, I'll probably also just test for voltage without the starter motor hooked up; it won't tell me if it handles a load, but it'll tell me if I completely botched it before I put the starter motor back on.) If it seems to work fine, then I'll put it back together and hope for the best. If it doesn't work, then I'll pull the starter then and there. If it works for a while and then dies earlier than one would expect (week, month, years) then I'll take off the intake again and pull the whole starter and replace it.

I mean, at this point it's deciding if the extra couple hours and cost of a new starter is worth more than the possibility of having to pull the intake again. I think it's worth the risk. Plus pulling the starter involves tools I don't have and wouldn't ever likely need again unless I was pulling an SC400 starter, again.

At this point I'm about 3 hours in to it if you don't count runs for tools and research (internet and actual Lexus shop manual.) I figure about an hour to get it back together after doing the starter work, assuming I didn't break anything. Now that I know how to do the removal, I'm assuming about 2 hours to pull the intake next time. I think it's worth the possibility of having to spend 3 hours on it again to save at least $200 and an hour or 2 of PITA work. At this point I don't think I even need to replace any gaskets being I haven't pulled the rear water bridge.
Old 10-06-15, 12:52 AM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

replaced brake lines all around. shoutout to blisiono for the helpful hand.
Name:  20151004_143528.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  301.4 KB
Name:  20151004_143601.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  248.2 KB
Old 10-06-15, 01:39 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

new front tires, 4 wheel alignment, and a full tank of gas
Old 10-07-15, 07:06 PM
9Dragnfly2
Driver School Candidate

Cleaned the headlights with Meguiar's Plast-X...Cornering light mod with LEDs and added 8k HIDs

A better look

Not bad for cheap EBay HIDs!

Last edited by 9Dragnfly2; 10-07-15 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Needed to add more
Old 10-08-15, 02:49 PM
matguy
Driver

Just realized today that I hadn't actually ordered the contact replacement kit for my starter, yet. That'd make it kinda hard to get finished this weekend. So I did that. "Guaranteed" delivery by tomorrow, according to Amazon. We'll see how that goes.
Old 10-08-15, 09:57 PM
bruening89
Driver School Candidate

Didn't do much, changed out the climate control interface and was being a dork, painted the center console semi gloss black, don't mind the shift **** missing, I didn't put it on at that moment.
Old 10-09-15, 06:53 PM
matguy
Driver

Well, I think the contacts in the starter were the problem:

Old 10-09-15, 06:54 PM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally got around to installing my new black window trim and plastic liners for both doors.

New door liners:

Used 3M Strip Caulk to stick to doors:

Old window trim:

New Window Trim:

Old 10-09-15, 07:46 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

You didn't want to reinforce them before you installing the new ones? I recall someone (maybe it was OLT?) who used some liquid nails on the area to help strengthen it (during the repairs).
Old 10-10-15, 09:59 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
You didn't want to reinforce them before you installing the new ones? I recall someone (maybe it was OLT?) who used some liquid nails on the area to help strengthen it (during the repairs).
I agree, I would definitely reinforce new ones to keep them looking that way indefinitely. I used expanding spray foam on the back of mine to fill in the space between the tiny braces where they always crack, carved to fit the shape of the metal door frame. I can't think of a worse designed trim piece on any car I've worked on.

I'll have to take my driver's trim back off to investigate a molding problem that occurred yesterday. Rolling the window down, the inner molding kept sticking to it and getting sucked down / folded over on itself, pulling the window trim in with it. I replaced the outer moldings recently. The inner's felt is probably worn down too far... The worst part about working on the door/window panels and trims is you just know something else will break each time you take them off.
Old 10-10-15, 10:59 AM
matguy
Driver

Oh crap, got the wrong kit:

Quick Reply: What did you do to your SC today?