SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What did you do to your SC today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-22, 01:24 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I washed it and got it ready for Coffee and Cars over the weekend. I ended up missing it all together because the battery died at the gas station. My jump box also died while trying to jumpstart the car and I was stuck at the gas station until my sister could give me a ride back home. We took the battery out of my LS430 and got the car home okay. What sucks is that I never even got gas because the pump I pulled up to didn’t even work.

It looks like I need a new battery, alternator, and new battery terminals. The car only starts if I wiggle the negative terminal around.
Old 12-06-22, 04:50 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I washed it and got it ready for Coffee and Cars over the weekend. I ended up missing it all together because the battery died at the gas station. My jump box also died while trying to jumpstart the car and I was stuck at the gas station until my sister could give me a ride back home. We took the battery out of my LS430 and got the car home okay. What sucks is that I never even got gas because the pump I pulled up to didn’t even work.

It looks like I need a new battery, alternator, and new battery terminals. The car only starts if I wiggle the negative terminal around.
Sorry to hear that Kira. What a ****ty day. Sorry bud.

Are you sure you need an alternator though? When connected to your LS430 battery, what voltage are you seeing with your multi meter?

Nick
Old 12-06-22, 05:53 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Kira, I feel for you, have had days like that.
Bill
Old 12-06-22, 09:58 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Damn - sorry Kira... I know the feeling. I do agree with Nick however, I'd start with a battery and some terminals first. I just replaced a brand new battery in my old Cressida because it simply stopped holding a charge and eventually even a jump wouldn't start the car.
Old 12-06-22, 01:03 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 365 Likes on 246 Posts

Reads exactly what happened to me a few years back. Alternator, battery, and cables. Best fix ever as other weird gremlins disappeared. Should be an easy repair….
Old 12-15-22, 11:03 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by CLass of 1
Sorry to hear that Kira. What a ****ty day. Sorry bud.

Are you sure you need an alternator though? When connected to your LS430 battery, what voltage are you seeing with your multi meter?

Nick
Hey Nick! I'm leaning towards alternator due to this being the second new battery I've installed in 2 years. I need to get a multi meter to test for sure.

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Damn - sorry Kira... I know the feeling. I do agree with Nick however, I'd start with a battery and some terminals first. I just replaced a brand new battery in my old Cressida because it simply stopped holding a charge and eventually even a jump wouldn't start the car.
I will get new terminals as well. I replaced them in 2009. It's probably time for a new set. They don't look bad but the piece of mind is nice to have. Going to get a new battery as well.

What happened to your Cressida is what happened to my LS430 and GS300.

Originally Posted by Duck05
Reads exactly what happened to me a few years back. Alternator, battery, and cables. Best fix ever as other weird gremlins disappeared. Should be an easy repair….
If all three fixed the gremlins then that seems to be the way to go. I want better cables and a more powerful alternator for my stereo as well.
Old 12-16-22, 04:35 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

You can pick up a multi meter for $20-$50 for anything halfway decent. If you’re seeing less than 14V it’s a good indicator your alternator isn’t working properly. My daily - a 2012 Camry - just needed its alternator replaced. I was hearing a weird whirring noise from the engine bay and tested the voltage and was only getting 13.3 with the car running. Replaced the alternator and now it’s a perfect 14.4 volts.

If you want an excuse to upgrade, that’s perfectly fine by me! I do it too sometimes lol! But, if you just want to solve the issue, battery would be my guess, since you said the terminals were loose.

Nick
The following users liked this post:
Kira X (12-23-22)
Old 12-16-22, 08:45 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Here in CO we have stoplights at some of the on-ramps to help mitigate traffic (it works great as I'm sure you can imagine lol). Anyway - I lined up next to a few year old GS350 (beautiful car) and a middle age guy gave me "the smirk". Naturally, I had to give him a good view of that big beautiful SC booty lol - the guy was awesome and gave me a big thumbs up and a smile once he caught up to me on the highway lol. Nothing like a good old fashioned Lex on Lex highway sprint!
Kira X (12-23-22)
Old 12-16-22, 09:07 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Rudy,
Are you not ashamed of yourself doing that to that old fellow. I bet you would do that to me, I wish I could say I would love to do that to some of you young whippersnappers but have gone beyond that point. Have a good day and go pay the bills.
Bill
Old 12-16-22, 09:28 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

haha Bill! I don't discriminate when it comes to making a quick pull! I'm certainly not the little street racer I used to be, but it's hard to turn down the chance at a little action with someone who is fun (and not too aggressive).

Fine, fine... Back to work - got a mortgage to pay! haha. Have a great day Bill!
Bimmerbill (12-16-22)
Old 12-19-22, 08:35 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Turned the garage heater on and enjoyed a couple hours of garage time yesterday. Fresh oil change and KAAZ diff fluid for the 2-way LSD. I tried using Motul's 300LS fluid instead of the KAAZ as it's more readily available on shelves around town. However, I noticed more noise and clunkiness around slow/tight corners with the Motul fluid so I'll continue to use the KAAZ fluid as recommended from here on out. Did a quick "nut and bolt" check while I was under there too. I need to throw some plugs in and a wax job for my ten foot paint job next lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Boergy (12-19-22), RSJSC400 (01-05-23)
Old 12-19-22, 10:12 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Rudy,
Nice car, nice garage, have you moved?
Good to see you are taking good care of your 10 footer.
Bill
Old 12-19-22, 10:30 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Hey Bill! Thank you sir - same car, same garage, ha! The fisheye lens on the new iphone definitely makes it look a bit bigger however...

Hope all is well!
Rudy
Old 12-20-22, 05:59 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Forget the garage, look at those tool boxes baby!! Lol

I’m moving and was hoping to have my garage all tricked out in the new house but all of my time and money has gone into the floors and bathrooms and kitchen. So, I’ll reveal my basic *** garage, soon.

Nick
The following 3 users liked this post by CLass of 1:
Bimmerbill (12-20-22), Kira X (12-23-22), RSJSC400 (01-05-23)
Old 12-20-22, 10:16 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

haha, thanks Nick! I've spent almost 20 years now collecting tools and buying them as needed. I have nowhere near what a professional mechanic has on hand, but I've got just enough to be dangerous in there!

Like you I'd sure love to have a nice decked out garage (and eventually a lift of my own)... but that day shall hopefully come for both of us!

Happy Holidays!
Rudy

Quick Reply: What did you do to your SC today?