SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What did you do to your SC today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-23, 09:47 AM
- V -
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by CLass of 1
I finally WASHED HER! Of course, as my luck goes, it rained in the afternoon. But, I took her to work and it felt good to get out on the Highway and cruise. Went to my daughters preschool to pick up some paperwork and snapped this quick photo:

I tried to take it kind of inconspicuously so other parents didn’t think I was some obsessed weirdo. Truth is we’re all obsessed weirdos here! But they wouldn’t understand… lol

Nick
Looks fantastic, I haven't washed mine in months, its just too damn hot and it rains everyday. My car sits outside until I move later this year. Not many people understand why we like our cars, to be honest I don't fully understand it either. I just know that I always look back at it when I park to go somewhere and everyone in my family things its strange lol
The following 2 users liked this post by - V -:
Barbary (08-04-23), CLass of 1 (08-04-23)
Old 08-04-23, 12:32 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
That’s awesome and your car looks amazing! My daughter is about to start kindergarten and I hope to get my car put back together to take her to school in it. When she was in preschool I always drove the LS/GS or the F-Pace.

Does your daughter’s car seat fit okay in the back seat? My current car seat looked too big but I also have multiple booster seats too.
Hey Kira!

I can fit one car seat, yes. Passenger side, of course. We have a rather bulky Britax model. I’ve toyed with the idea of buying Recaro car seats for the SC which are a little smaller and easier to fit in the backseat.

Thanks to all you guys for the kind words about the car!

Nick
Old 08-04-23, 01:13 PM
wellsolong
Driver

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

I finally added the Tanabe / Revel Touring-S exhaust along with a delete of the two rear resonators. Definitely happy, it sounds a bit louder and beefier without being obnoxious...which is exactly what I wanted. As for drone, no issues. BUT, there's gonna have to be some creativity involved so that the exhaust is perfectly aligned and centered.

It's minor but also got the passenger window switch fixed. The clip that keeps it seated had broken off and so it'd always be popped out a bit. Now it's seated perfectly and stays put. The whole door, while still in pretty good condition, unfortunately has the underside brackets broken off and fasteners missing. For now I put in little metal brackets, and they're not perfect, but they at least keep things from being loose. When I first got the car, I'd grimace a little when someone closed the door as it was starting to tear the vinyl. No one is ever able to fully close the door on first try either. Everyone always comments how heavy the door is hahah.

A nice little end to the day was some random guy who gave me a thumbs up as I was parking.

My to-do list has changed a little since the last post here. Up next: radiator replacement and cleaning the coolant mess. Still want to repaint the wiper arms. And if it's still in the budget I'd really like Tanin to refurbish my instrument cluster. The previous owner made the needles blue and the backlighting is a dim yellow. I wanna bring the needles back to OEM red and have that clean white backlighting.
Old 08-04-23, 04:52 PM
SCJim
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I added Tanabe exhaust to my SC300 a few years back and I love the result.

The engine was so quite that it was almost not there from the factory, and now I can more enjoy that beautiful inline six. I still miss the sounds of my 2jz -gte and this upgrade finally lets my SC sing, but quietly.

Sounds like really good progress on your car and good luck with that never ending to-do list.
The following users liked this post:
wellsolong (08-04-23)
Old 08-04-23, 05:43 PM
wellsolong
Driver

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SCJim
I added Tanabe exhaust to my SC300 a few years back and I love the result.

The engine was so quite that it was almost not there from the factory, and now I can more enjoy that beautiful inline six. I still miss the sounds of my 2jz -gte and this upgrade finally lets my SC sing, but quietly.

Sounds like really good progress on your car and good luck with that never ending to-do list.
I love that no matter whether we have an SC300 or 400 we’re blessed with a glorious motor that sounds great. As much as I’ve wanted to keep things fairly stock, it seemed like a must to bring out the 1UZ a bit.

Impulsive purchase earlier: SuperPro rear subframe bushings.

I might have to finally make my own build thread!
The following 3 users liked this post by wellsolong:
Bimmerbill (08-04-23), SCJim (08-05-23), ThomasGS4 (08-05-23)
Old 08-05-23, 10:37 AM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Went to yet another local car meet this morning. Similar crowd but this one attracts many, many more JDM cars than previous events (at roughly the same location). Aside from one real nice LS400, I was once again the lone SC.

Many early model Supras, Celicas, MR2s, Hondas, Mazdas, and a few Mitsubishi cars to see. There was one cool (I have never seen before) gull-wing door RHD Toyota import (see below). While walking around it was interesting to hear many of the attendees conversing in Japanese as represented by the JDM cars they brought.

I was there and remembered to take a pic.

RHD JDM import.

A “SERA” ?

Rally car…

Nice LS400; real clean interior.

The following 2 users liked this post by Duck05:
RudysSC (08-07-23), SCJim (08-05-23)
Old 08-05-23, 10:57 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Hey Duck,
Thank you so much for the pictures of the car show (I save them from everybody that are kind enough to post them) and there were some nice cars. I love your car and hope mine will be that nice some day. By the way what color is your car, sorry if I have ask you before?
You mentioned that you had the only SC there, our cars are a dying breed. I know of two others in Mobile so that makes 3 counting mine in a city of 200,000. We have a 400 in one of the Pull a Parts also and that 's it. I would love to buy a brand new one just the way I would want it. I am just dreaming again. Good luck to you.
Bill
Old 08-05-23, 04:09 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, Bill. The color is in my signature block, code 6M3, Silver Spruce Metallic. The color was a ‘92-94 offering.

This is a respray done in 2013 but the painter went a tad darker on the mix (which I prefer). Color matching a Lexus color with the names of either metallic or pearl is a difficult task as the ratio of small versus large flakes in the mix are a factor (from what I was told). This became evident on my car when I replaced the front bumper cover with a KDB polyurethane product and while they came close, in the sun or using a digital camera you can see the shade and reflection differences. The shop offered a “do-over” but I thought it was close enough.

Last edited by Duck05; 08-07-23 at 08:33 AM.
Bimmerbill (08-05-23)
Old 08-06-23, 09:41 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 506 Likes on 300 Posts

Duck, you had the best SC in the show! Actually the best in show, by far. Yours always stands out
Your love for your car shines thru. Yes there are a few of us who actually know how good these cars are 👏🏻

RudysSC (08-07-23)
Old 08-07-23, 10:19 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

I guess if Nick can get out there and wash his car I was next in line. So I got out with my walking cane and gave mine a good scrubbing. She still looks good, You might say she is a twenty footer. You know Rudy always talks about his 300 being a ten footer. Rudy I hope all is going well with your black box installation. Everybody have a good day.
Bill
RudysSC (08-07-23)
Old 08-07-23, 12:01 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

HAHA Bill! It's true, but I love that damn car all the same. Love the photos Duck - quite a nice showing of some Japanese oddballs. I'm diggin it!
Bimmerbill (08-07-23)
Old 08-07-23, 01:35 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Hey Duck,

You mentioned that you had the only SC there, our cars are a dying breed. I know of two others in Mobile so that makes 3 counting mine in a city of 200,000. We have a 400 in one of the Pull a Parts also and that 's it. I would love to buy a brand new one just the way I would want it. I am just dreaming again. Good luck to you.
Bill
Hey Bill, how many SC's do you think are up here in these mountains? I've see one kind of a beater SC with some kids who found me in a shopping mall once, stopped me and we talked a while, but for sure there's only the Bullet. You could probably push that out to at least a 200 radius. Interesting, in a town the size of Mobile so few.
When I first got the car, in the Bay Area there were plenty and many driven by little old ladies with grey hair, for a long time. I guess Lexus never made a push for a younger market. Seems like there was a giant mismatch going on.

Anyway the car has become kinda famous in my little town ha ha. So I've been told. There is one repair shop that refuses to work on the car. "We don't work on gangster cars from California". About all you see here is huge trucks w lifts, lot of time driven by younger girls even. But I call my car a "Highway" car which has been perfect for driving on these long Highways to the National Parks and places for all these years, getting many compliments "all the time, everywhere"
Loving it
Old 08-07-23, 02:25 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Hey,
I am still laughing about gangster car. My car was delivered in Chicago in '93 so I guess I have a gangster car too. Just another reason that we need National Convention. I know a lot of people would concur. Also interesting about the young fellows chasing you down to talk to you about your car and other SC's. I do love my car and it has come a long way since I brought it after paying $250. for it. Of course I have tuned it up, A/C work, 18" wheels and tires and the list goes on and on.
I hope you are being safe out there on the road with all those other people. We definitely don't want to lose you.
Bill
Old 08-07-23, 10:26 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Hey Bill, thanks, You are getting the best bang for your buck with the SC!

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression, I've never been hassled (which blows me away) about the car, in big cities like SF or in redneck places in all my years. Mostly I get offers to buy the car. The repair shop guy is just an old fuddy duddy, people around here put up with. He was mostly referring to the color. Like I said in some big cities the car with its purple color its considered "A pimp ride". It does trigger the cops but not since I got a veterans license plate.
In anyway I'm ex-military and drive with protection ha ha
Thanks Bill

Old 08-08-23, 04:49 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

One thing for sure my car will never qualify for the title of Pimp Ride with it's dark green paint and peeling clear coat, but I love it. The cops don't bother me even with my Meagan exhaust, maybe it is my age. But I do like the title Gangster car. Keep the shiny side up while you are out there driving.
Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bimmerbill:
Barbary (08-08-23), RudysSC (08-08-23)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your SC today?