SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What did you do to your SC today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-24, 10:01 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 509 Likes on 302 Posts

Thanks Duck, great info. I'm going to contact SIA and try to send it to them. Something interesting, a neighbor said my code 31 problem is probably not the sensor. I have 3 now, the original and 2 new ones from China, it's at the other end of the air duct. The valve into the engine is probably all cluttered up by now 🤷‍♂️
Old 08-17-24, 08:55 AM
stheodore
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I took delivery of my 1996 SC400 slicktop yesterday, so I guess you can say I did something. Just starting my ownership journey!

The following 2 users liked this post by stheodore:
Kira X (08-17-24), Supra Dr (08-19-24)
Old 08-17-24, 12:05 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 379 Likes on 257 Posts

Received the decals. Ordered both white and metallic silver. Tried to get chrome but none of the decal makers had the raw material.

Even though the pictures appear to be white, the ones that were applied are actually the metallic silver versions. Will see how they hold up as I tried to place them away from the entry/exit path as much as possible. If I get tired of the look or they get damaged the vinyl material can be easily removed/replaced.

Driver side before.

Passenger side before.

Lining up the placement.

Driver side.

Passenger side.
The following 3 users liked this post by Duck05:
Barbary (08-19-24), Kira X (08-18-24), Supra Dr (08-19-24)
Old 08-27-24, 08:04 PM
ninetwo
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Well today I found out there was a hole in my car cover for this 95. I havent touched the car in about a year... Gave it a nice wash, cleaned all the weather strips and seals, put the wheels back on, some fresh gas and took it for a spin

I also got some help installing the dash back into my 94, it looks like a crazy mess but is now pretty close to being back on the road. Very satisfied with the look.

Last edited by ninetwo; 08-28-24 at 10:27 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ninetwo:
Kira X (08-28-24), Photon440 (09-02-24), SC_coupe (08-28-24)
Old 08-29-24, 12:20 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by ninetwo
Well today I found out there was a hole in my car cover for this 95. I havent touched the car in about a year... Gave it a nice wash, cleaned all the weather strips and seals, put the wheels back on, some fresh gas and took it for a spin

I also got some help installing the dash back into my 94, it looks like a crazy mess but is now pretty close to being back on the road. Very satisfied with the look.
I need to dye my dash black but everyone I asked about taking it out turned me down, including several techs from Lexus. How difficulty was it to remove and reinstall?
The following users liked this post:
ninetwo (08-29-24)
Old 08-29-24, 01:18 PM
ninetwo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kira X
I need to dye my dash black but everyone I asked about taking it out turned me down, including several techs from Lexus. How difficulty was it to remove and reinstall?
This was the 4th SC300 dash I've removed and 2nd I've replaced. (Another on the list, I just have to travel a bit to work on the car so slow progress) Theyre not that bad but some prep work should go into the job. You should bag and label your screws and clips and where they come from as it could get confusing if there's some down time in between removal and replacement.

You'll need to get out the A pillar trim, and all of the trim bits beneath the dash, the radio surround, glove box, etc.
Two clips hold the dash to the A pillar,
A few various bolts/screws/ towards the foot area of the dash
2 studs that go through the glovebox/air bag bracket need the nuts off. Oh yeah and 2 studs with nuts on them at the gauge cluster area too.

Once you have all of that loose the only thing holding you up is 5 clips that go from the top of the dash into the area beneath the windshield. I'll edit some pictures of the dash into this post momentarily.
Well to get those 5 clips, I recommend getting a friend/helper at this step and one give the dash a nice tug from the gauge cluster area and the other tug the bit below where the airbag is for 93-00 / would be on a 92 model. They can be locked in pretty tight, but give it a good simultaneous pull and they should pop right out.
It could be done solo, but I have always had an extra set of hands at the final steps.

Now the dash is loose, get prepared to lay down on your back with a phillips screw driver and a flat head. There are maybe 6-10 various screws that connect the wiring harness to the back of the dash and maybe 6-10 white plastic clips that you can just seperate from fins on the back of the dash. Once these are loose you're finished and the dash shouldn't be held in by anything.

If anything else is unclear or you need some more pictures just let me know. I have an entire interior sitting in my basement at the moment so any pictures of clips or connections I should be able to get.

Below is a picture of the back of a dash

I have SEM dyed one of my dashes, I cant say how it'd hold up to heat, UV and wear and tear though. I haven't got to install it in the car although it looks nice though I am definitely wary of the finish coming off though... If you don't want to do this job yourself, I'd consider finding a reupholstery shop that does good work. Perhaps they could remove and reupholster the dash with black leather or another material VS the dye. It'd stink to do all the work to achieve this and the black chip off... I saw it flaking on one of the door panels leather that I did with bulldog adhesion promoter and SEM Landau black.

When you re-install the dash use those 5 clips on the back and the studs that were nutted off as your guide to alignment, visualize where they go and get them slotted in snug.

Last edited by ninetwo; 08-29-24 at 01:53 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ninetwo:
Barbary (09-09-24), Kira X (09-09-24), Photon440 (09-02-24)
Old 09-08-24, 03:24 PM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Coolant leak hunting

Finally got my back up CD009 slapped in after the first one grenade fifth gear and locked me out of all other gears. The test drive proved efficient, smooth as butter shifting but then after getting home and sitting for a little bit I noticed some coolant on the shop floor.

Thus starts the hunting…

Old 09-08-24, 08:49 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 124 Posts
Default New battery terminals

Decided it was time to get some battery terminals to replace the old tired and abused once
Before

After

The following 2 users liked this post by - V -:
brucelee1 (09-09-24), ninetwo (09-11-24)
Old 09-09-24, 05:06 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Great paint and wheels. Bravo.
Old 09-11-24, 08:20 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

I started it up for the first time since last summer. I had to wiggle the battery terminals around for a while to get it to start.
Old 09-11-24, 08:32 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

I also found my SC’s wallet key after 12 years of looking for it. Turns out it was in my LS430’s center console the entire time.
The following users liked this post:
Photon440 (09-16-24)
Old 09-11-24, 09:07 PM
ninetwo
Pit Crew

I reupholstered my speaker grills/brake light and cleaned up the rear deck
The following 4 users liked this post by ninetwo:
Boergy (09-13-24), Photon440 (09-16-24), SCJim (09-12-24), Supra Dr (09-22-24)
Old 09-12-24, 01:04 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Talking

I reupholstered my speaker grills/brake light and cleaned up the rear deck
That looks great! Did you reupholster it yourself?
Old 09-12-24, 07:30 AM
ninetwo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kira X
That looks great! Did you reupholster it yourself?
Yes, thank you! To do them I peeled off the old fabric, traced it onto a piece of paper and then cut out the shape in my new material. I cleaned off the old glue, then wiped it down with Isopropyl. After, I brushed Weldwood contact cement onto the grills and the fabric laid down very easily. (just glue the same spots that were glued stock) I got my fabric off of Amazon - its not OEM style and more like the Mesh you'd find on some speaker tower grills. A more OEM style would be "Flat Knit" material.
Old 09-12-24, 07:18 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Talking

Yes, thank you! To do them I peeled off the old fabric, traced it onto a piece of paper and then cut out the shape in my new material. I cleaned off the old glue, then wiped it down with Isopropyl. After, I brushed Weldwood contact cement onto the grills and the fabric laid down very easily. (just glue the same spots that were glued stock) I got my fabric off of Amazon - its not OEM style and more like the Mesh you'd find on some speaker tower grills. A more OEM style would be "Flat Knit" material.
Oh wow! Was it time consuming to do all of that? I was considering dyeing mine black but yours looks so nice. I like the grill fabric you chose as well.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your SC today?