Originally Posted by Klaus
I'd love to see pics of this
I sent u a pm!! Klaus
Old 11-11-10, 06:39 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by t70 supra
na bro just asking around the shop i wnt to i was going to work as a tech but i think im getting outof the autobody game. so when the guy told me 3200 i gasp! i was thinking of taking the car to chicago to get painted
so why do you want to get out if i might ask?? i was thinking of going to uti for autobody. does the pay suck?
Old 11-11-10, 07:16 AM
MySc4fever
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$3000. Im thinking of just selling my 95 sc4 for $5500, then putting that $3000 onto it, then buying a 98-99 with better condition paint with the spoiler kit already installed...................really makes since when u think about it.
Old 11-11-10, 02:27 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by megamax
so why do you want to get out if i might ask?? i was thinking of going to uti for autobody. does the pay suck?
well to be honest working for people has never my style. i've worked for caliber custom paints. (they make custom parts for harley) now i am a manager trainee for car-x pay is good and i have 4 techs and a service writer under me so i am making a small peice of cake as of now just trying to get back on my feet.

i love autobody but after u take the course and get familer with actual body damage u will have a clear eye and finger for paint jobs and body reconstruction. i personaly just had enough i love working in a office and making decisisons.

i have worked at 2 body shops the newbie treatment isn't the best. but i stuck it out but in the end i quit. ask ur self this why make 8.00 when u can make 16.00 plus monthly bonuses.

but i would go into the field to learn the skills never stop ur self from oppertnuity to learn somthing

painted these harley rear fenders

just a sample but back on topic
Old 11-11-10, 02:57 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by t70 supra
well to be honest working for people has never my style. i've worked for caliber custom paints. (they make custom parts for harley) now i am a manager trainee for car-x pay is good and i have 4 techs and a service writer under me so i am making a small peice of cake as of now just trying to get back on my feet.

i love autobody but after u take the course and get familer with actual body damage u will have a clear eye and finger for paint jobs and body reconstruction. i personaly just had enough i love working in a office and making decisisons.

i have worked at 2 body shops the newbie treatment isn't the best. but i stuck it out but in the end i quit. ask ur self this why make 8.00 when u can make 16.00 plus monthly bonuses.

but i would go into the field to learn the skills never stop ur self from oppertnuity to learn somthing

painted these harley rear fenders

just a sample but back on topic
wow body shop guys only make 8.00 dollars an hour -------well with that skill you can make money on the side though im sure
Old 11-11-10, 03:00 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
wow body shop guys only make 8.00 dollars an hour -------well with that skill you can make money on the side though im sure
Wow for what they charge that's stupid. Body guys aren't grease monkeys - body work is an art, and those talents will go out the door quick for only $8/hr.

T70, that's some beautiful work
Old 11-11-10, 03:07 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

t70 if i may ask a question regarding painting.

How much thinner do you guys ussually put into the final clear coat.

I have tried many different mixtures and the best one for me is almost a 50 / 50 thinner to clear ratio, it seems to keep the orange peeling to a bare minimum.

Also any other advice on how to avoid the notorious orange peeling would be really appreciated.

Thank you
Old 11-11-10, 03:14 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was usuing the pressure pot when i was working for the harley place. it vary on vistocity and mixure ratios but learning how to use ur gun is the main focus. i seen people with 10.00 guns do wonderful paint jobs i pesonally have painted about 8 cars from start to finish with sata jets. the paint job came out good but i got runs in my clear from over doing it so learing to shoot on some bare shaped medal is the best options for starters

but when looking at paint jobs ur eyes will lye to you if you dont know what ur looking for. if any thing your hands should be eyes and ur eyes should be your hands
Old 01-07-11, 04:28 PM
tomkujala
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by msc400
Its funny how people want a really good paintjob but dont wanna spend the money. The materials and the time it takes do bodywork prep and paint and buff is very time consuming. I paint cars and always have people asking if ill do it for $700 or cheaper lol. sorry not trying to be a douche lol
Hey im sanding my car and downing all the paint prep but then i want someone to do a professonal pearl paint job on it so how much do u reackon that would cost?
Old 01-07-11, 05:50 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tomkujala
Hey im sanding my car and downing all the paint prep but then i want someone to do a professonal pearl paint job on it so how much do u reackon that would cost?
it all depends , sanding down is hard work how about taking the car apart? Are you changing color? are you taking off the mirriors, door handles, bumpers, 1/4 glass out? Painter would also have to prime the car. If you want it perfect you would have to fix all the dents first, then primer it. Then block sand the whole thing, then primer again, then sand again. Pearl white is a 3 stage paint job some of the hardest jobs to do beside kandy jobs. Unless its not kandy. Good metallic job all over with jambs cost around 5k, a Pearl white job 6k and a Kandy job around 7. Its all how perfect you want it done. Heres mine still in progress lots of hours and $ in this project, with me doing most of the prep work, a friend is a good bodyman and another friend is a good painter , still lots and lots of work(black cherry kandy over copper metallic base)

[/QUOTE]
Old 01-07-11, 06:04 PM
Darksaga
Driver School Candidate

I always prep the car for paint. No way am I paying anyone 3k. It's a bit cheaper around here...A whole LOt cheaper.
Old 01-07-11, 06:15 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Darksaga
I always prep the car for paint. No way am I paying anyone 3k. It's a bit cheaper around here...A whole LOt cheaper.
Good materials for all over paint job are going to cost around $800 including primer, you still need to get tape, masking paper, sand paper, mixing cups, mixing sticks, thinner to clean the gun. Its about a grand for a decent job in just materials if youre not doing any body work. So 2 grand to do 60 or so hours worth of work on an all over job. I dont see anyone charging you 30 dollars per hour flat unless they are absolutly crazy. Lets not forget the cost of rent in a paint shop, electric...etc.
Old 01-07-11, 11:33 PM
TownDust
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2jz-sc
I sent u a pm!! Klaus
show me pics too please!
Old 01-08-11, 01:17 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing worse then a bad paint job when converting a car over to a color such as RSP..

I paid $2800 for the paint job on my red SC, if any of yall remember it..

anyways I found a guy later that probably could hve done a better job for around 2k.. Too bad it was too late.
Old 01-08-11, 07:22 AM
msc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with mdsc i painted my sc myself didnt realize it was so much prep work. i Understand now why a good paint job cost so much. In my area $3500plus i was quated. Some places 5k and up

Quick Reply: how much was YOUR paint job