SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

sc400 cuts out under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-10, 07:17 PM
bobob729
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc400 cuts out under acceleration

Well i have a 1992 sc400, I have been working on this car for the past 2 weeks and first off the car ran at 3000rpm, found out that the ecu was bad so i went ahead and swapped it out with a new one. Car has new spark plugs, wires, cap, rotors, and thats about it. When i stomp the gas the car kinda hesitates under accel and sometimes when im more into it the car is worse. Once in a while when i am sitting at light the car will die also. Ive been searching for a problem but havent found exactly what it is yet. Any help would be great thanks.
Old 11-12-10, 07:19 PM
bobob729
Driver School Candidate

no CEL lights at all either
Old 11-12-10, 07:29 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

bad ignition coil on drivers side. Check that.
Old 11-12-10, 08:18 PM
bobob729
Driver School Candidate

now why do u say ign coil on drivers side if you dont mine me asking
Old 11-13-10, 09:30 AM
1SICSC4
Driver

Everyone that has had a 1uz-fe long enough has had the driver side coil problem. I got my SC for $750 because of that coil. The car barley ran and shifted like the trans was shot. You could smell unburnt fuel coming out the exhaust. I dropped the new coil it and she ran fine.

The SC4 has some great engineering as far as the ignition system. The system runs through two separate coils two igniteres and 2 cap and rotor assemblies. Then the 4 wires of each rotor goes to two cylinders on each side. So the car will run on half its ignition system.

My guess would be a fuel delivery issue. I would start by doing the 12v bypass of the fuel controller because its free and takes 5 min. If not that than check fuel pump and filter. Just a thought.
Old 11-13-10, 11:38 AM
bobob729
Driver School Candidate

i appreciate your help i will check the drivers side coil and as for that being the problem it kinda makes sense....i have seen it running a littler rich out the drivers side of the car and didnt think anything of it but the car most of the time runs great with no problems....lol figures this will be a different kinda car to work with..
Old 11-14-10, 05:25 PM
1SICSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by bobob729
i appreciate your help i will check the drivers side coil and as for that being the problem it kinda makes sense....i have seen it running a littler rich out the drivers side of the car and didnt think anything of it but the car most of the time runs great with no problems....lol figures this will be a different kinda car to work with..
It would not run more rich on one side than the othe. The coils controls 2 cylinders on each side. Just an FYI
Old 11-14-10, 06:36 PM
bobob729
Driver School Candidate

i understand that but ....well noticed to day its rich on both sides so im working on it slowly.... would that make sense it runs black smoke out the exhaust and dies once in awhile i dunno.I only notice the black smoke when it almost dies...dont wanna buy a coil and it not work though....if you catch my drift

Last edited by bobob729; 11-14-10 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-16-10, 08:07 AM
sc4lover
Driver School Candidate

mines do the samething had full tune up and did the bypass as well as the ic still no luck ..let me kno if u fix this problem
Old 11-16-10, 04:48 PM
bobob729
Driver School Candidate

well i found part of my problem and the ign coil wasnt the problem at all The car still cuts under accel but the tps was what seems to be causing part of the problem...when i would through this car into drive it used to jump and now the car doesnt feel like it gets thrown into gear at all.. but i think i still need a adjustment on the tps....just hard to say right at the moment....stil have the problem anyone else have any suggestions cuz i have yet to find it so far.
Old 11-16-10, 05:02 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this exact problem with my old '95 and never figured it out. Wouldn't mind finding a solution if it happens again to me..
Search 'hesitation' in the search function and there will be lotsa results with this similar problem. I seem to remember it being a maf problem? Can't remember exactly though..
Old 11-16-10, 05:06 PM
bobob729
Driver School Candidate

maf has been swapped with a working sc400 my brother also has one and it didnt change a thing
Old 11-16-10, 09:09 PM
AerialAce
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICSC4
Everyone that has had a 1uz-fe long enough has had the driver side coil problem. I got my SC for $750 because of that coil. The car barley ran and shifted like the trans was shot. You could smell unburnt fuel coming out the exhaust. I dropped the new coil it and she ran fine.

The SC4 has some great engineering as far as the ignition system. The system runs through two separate coils two igniteres and 2 cap and rotor assemblies. Then the 4 wires of each rotor goes to two cylinders on each side. So the car will run on half its ignition system.

My guess would be a fuel delivery issue. I would start by doing the 12v bypass of the fuel controller because its free and takes 5 min. If not that than check fuel pump and filter. Just a thought.
I started getting this problem on my LS about a month ago, happens at around 2,000 RPM. Sometimes when I hit that range it will feel like the fuel is cutting out for a split second.
Old 11-17-10, 05:51 AM
jintei
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICSC4
Can you explain to me how to do this? Thanks.
Old 11-18-10, 05:00 PM
bobob729
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AerialAce
I started getting this problem on my LS about a month ago, happens at around 2,000 RPM. Sometimes when I hit that range it will feel like the fuel is cutting out for a split second.
ya that is exactly what mine feels like is the fuel is cutting out for a split second....i am still searching for the problem but i have yet to figure it out. The drivers side coil wasnt the problem at all so im still searching for a cause to it.........im changing fuel filter tommrowo and i am also going to hard wire the fuel pump for a minute and see what happens

Quick Reply: sc400 cuts out under acceleration